Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LQ4 to LQ9 upgrade

This is a discussion on LQ4 to LQ9 upgrade within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; As far as cam goes if your not want huge power it's hard to beat ebay. Summit and jegs have ...

As far as cam goes if your not want huge power it's hard to beat ebay. Summit and jegs have the same cams also but search Elgin Ls1 cam on eBay. Get one of those cams, nice set of single springs and some pushrods and your good to go. A lot of companies offer cam packages if you looking for one stop shopping also.

maroon
    1986 Porsche 944

I have assembled the old rods on the new pistons and new pins. I didn't mic the dimensions, but the pin fits the rod snuggly, no slop, no binding and feels the same as piston to wrist pin clearance. Is there a clearance spec to reference?
    I haven't nailed down the cam yet, but I feel total lift of around 5.25-5.50 and 112-114 degree overlap would do the trick.
    Nice '55 same year as me...

I'd go with the Elgin 216/220 or 220/224 cam both have relatively low lift and can be controlled by cheaper single springs. The pin should be a press fit just like the old one meaning it shouldn't turn in the rod, all rotation should be the pin in the piston while running. Try putting the old pin in the new piston just to see if it fits. I'm sure people have run them as your describing it and ran fine, but some prob got the piston slap that you can read plenty about. One thing that is a must is the rocker arm trunion upgrade though. The comp cams kit would prob last quite a while with a small cam like your looking at. But with a pretty aggressive cam in as little as 5k miles I've seen them wear out. Straub technologies as a bushing kit the seems to be holding up pretty good for as long as it's been out. CHE I feel is the best but is a little more money. Factory rocker are pretty much the strongest and lightest there is so no need for anything else just a bearing upgrade.

maroon
    1986 Porsche 944

I'm a little confused /concerned. I pulled apart one of my rods from the piston and did some checking.
    1) The original pins would be a press fit to the LQ9 pistons as they were to the rods. That won't work!
    2) As close as I can measure with my archaic micrometer there is around .002 clearance between the new pin and the old rod, same for the new piston. The LQ9 has full floating pistons, the LQ4 does not. Isn't this what I now have?

3 options I see here in the best order in my opinion.

1. Get a set of gen 4 rods and run new pistons and pins.

2. Use old pins in new pistons but have piston pin sores honed for proper clearance

3. Run new piston and pin on old rod and hope for the best. Meaning no abnormal pin or small end rod wear.

Honing piston bores would prob be about the same price as a set of used gen 4 rods. With the added benefit of having a better rod. I'm sure the boy has already said something about boost so the rods only make sense.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'd go with the new rods as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information