Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Low Oil Level

This is a discussion on Low Oil Level within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; coyote i think the waterpump was leaking, i replaced it w/ new one. Now temp seems fine no mater how ...

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

coyote i think the waterpump was leaking, i replaced it w/ new one.
    Now temp seems fine no mater how i drive it.
    i drove it continualy for weeks kinda hard.
    I looked for oil dripping on cardboard after parking it.
    I never saw another drop on cardboard, i check dipstick weekly , ive gone 400 miles and have dropped maybe 1/4 quart, i drive it 20 miles a day rev it pretty good.
    Now that no drops of oil on cardboard and burning oil iswell 1/4 quart in 400 miles.
    I can say that ive read that maybe 1 quart driving car will use 1 quart aroun 1,000 miles or so which all i can say is these ls'1s use this much oil.
    I guess i will have to live with it.
    my 5.0 used about same amount too.
    Well guess its what all i can say.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    coyote i think the waterpump was leaking, i replaced it w/ new one.
    Now temp seems fine no mater how i drive it.
    i drove it continualy for weeks kinda hard.
    I looked for oil dripping on cardboard after parking it.
    I never saw another drop on cardboard, i check dipstick weekly , ive gone 400 miles and have dropped maybe 1/4 quart, i drive it 20 miles a day rev it pretty good.
    Now that no drops of oil on cardboard and burning oil iswell 1/4 quart in 400 miles.
    I can say that ive read that maybe 1 quart driving car will use 1 quart aroun 1,000 miles or so which all i can say is these ls'1s use this much oil.
    I guess i will have to live with it.
    my 5.0 used about same amount too.
    Well guess its what all i can say.
    hmm, interesting... so drive harder and it stopped leaking?... i wonder if i could be so lucky! i've been driving like a granny, and that hasn't helped!

Black
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Wouldn't hurt to pull the intake tract and look into the throttle body to see if it is oiled down. As posted, the PCV system can suck oil into the engine on our cars and over that distance it isn't a whole lot if there is a continuous draw. Just for giggles, assume that you traveled 2,500 miles at an average of 45 mph. That equals engine run time of 55 hours, not including all the time spent idling at lights and such.
    I had the same thing until I changed to the new PCV valve GM came out with.
    The oil consumption went way down.
    Only costs a few bucks too.
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Yeah wiley theory is seals dry after car sits alot i mean 75k in 10 years aint much.
    my theory is drivem everyday and hard and they just seem to operate better.its wat i did w/ my 5.0 fer years everyday my only car bought w/ 107 k drove it every day and basic things went out but at this point still daily driver 242,000 miles.
    few brake, f.w. bearings, couple water pumps a b.a. r. sensor cats done by orig owner befor i got it. Tranny replaced cause id drive it hard and angry at traffic reved it in 1st threw it in neutral after 217k miles i broke in half a main shaft i had it rebuilt at 217k.
    original engine heads never apart, tightened valve cover gaskets and changed them one maybe 1 fuel pump deal done 4oo bucks.
    1 clutch done 400 bucks at 189k miles i believe. couple radiators 119 a piece 1st ine was about 200.00.
    Yeah running em daily in my opinion is the key for longevity and less little things going out,
    4,000 mile oil changes. kand n air filter , flowmasters thats it rest bone stock
    Bone stock may also be the key as ya build 1 part another fails. ya keep it how factory put it out its a reliable fast package .
    Hey bang fer the buck !!! wat ya think wiley

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    hmm, interesting... so drive harder and it stopped leaking?... i wonder if i could be so lucky! i've been driving like a granny, and that hasn't helped!

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    Yeah wiley theory is seals dry after car sits alot i mean 75k in 10 years aint much.
    my theory is drivem everyday and hard and they just seem to operate better.its wat i did w/ my 5.0 fer years everyday my only car bought w/ 107 k drove it every day and basic things went out but at this point still daily driver 242,000 miles.
    few brake, f.w. bearings, couple water pumps a b.a. r. sensor cats done by orig owner befor i got it. Tranny replaced cause id drive it hard and angry at traffic reved it in 1st threw it in neutral after 217k miles i broke in half a main shaft i had it rebuilt at 217k.
    original engine heads never apart, tightened valve cover gaskets and changed them one maybe 1 fuel pump deal done 4oo bucks.
    1 clutch done 400 bucks at 189k miles i believe. couple radiators 119 a piece 1st ine was about 200.00.
    Yeah running em daily in my opinion is the key for longevity and less little things going out,
    4,000 mile oil changes. kand n air filter , flowmasters thats it rest bone stock
    Bone stock may also be the key as ya build 1 part another fails. ya keep it how factory put it out its a reliable fast package .
    Hey bang fer the buck !!! wat ya think wiley
    sounds like you've done pretty good there denegrader.. yep, i think you have to drive cars, ..sitting isn't good as internal components can just seize up... i don't know where mine is leaking from, i have a lot more miles than you, but i had a bunch of stuff replaced just this year (OPSU, rear main seal, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, valley cover gasket, ...) - i wonder if the rear main seal is leaking again - but i'd have to get the mechanic to acknowledge that -.. since he knows it's supposed to still be under his "warranty"..

Blog Entries

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Just wanted to give another update on my oil consumption issue. It's been 1500 miles since my first oil change after having the LS6 Valley Cover installed.

Before the valley cover was installed, i was about 1qt low at 1500 miles. After the valley cover was installed, my oil is still pretty much full. There may have been a tiny amount of oil burned, but it is so little that it isn't even worth adding more at this time. The level after the oil change was just above the hash marks and now it is slightly lower than the hash marks. It will be interesting to see where the level is at after 3000 miles.

I don't quite understand how the valley cover works, but thanks to all who suggested installing this. This has been a very helpful thread and I will add an update after the full 3000 miles.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

well i used more earlier after buying car like i said strange too seemed to leak and now not a drip crazy maybe i'm actually perplexed , maybe too much pressure on oiling system somehow from sitting too much not really sure.
    There maybe some connection with possible blow by like lotta gasses pushing oil outta gaskets ect.
    Well no breather on oil fill cap doesnt help, i need to check that whole pvc oil btreather system out more my self.
    im good fer now but i need to understand it research it better to head off any more oil leaks or burning oil too.

Quote Originally Posted by thor2001TA View Post
    Just wanted to give another update on my oil consumption issue. It's been 1500 miles since my first oil change after having the LS6 Valley Cover installed.

Before the valley cover was installed, i was about 1qt low at 1500 miles. After the valley cover was installed, my oil is still pretty much full. There may have been a tiny amount of oil burned, but it is so little that it isn't even worth adding more at this time. The level after the oil change was just above the hash marks and now it is slightly lower than the hash marks. It will be interesting to see where the level is at after 3000 miles.

I don't quite understand how the valley cover works, but thanks to all who suggested installing this. This has been a very helpful thread and I will add an update after the full 3000 miles.

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

LS1's are know for oil usage but that does seem like a lot...if you cant diagnose it I would bring it to a reputable shop....

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Well antz someways yeah but.......
    Dont know a good shop or trust anyof em maybe outta fear more than likely they may diagnose it wrong charge me an arm and a leg ect.......
    On other hand maybe it is factory p.v.c. and all i got to do is change it to a new style?????
    Anyways the leak has returned by noting 2x4inch stain on cardboard not real wet just enough drips guess to make somewhat of a stain.
    Now last oil added was after driving 600 miles.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Sounds good got any more details about the oil consumption and or the difference between the the original and newly designed pvc valve , what s difference ect/

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
    I had the same thing until I changed to the new PCV valve GM came out with.
    The oil consumption went way down.
    Only costs a few bucks too.

Black
    2000 WS6

The difference I see is that it has a much smaller exit hole and has no marble in it.
    It's just a PCV can with a small exit hole.
    It did help though.

Blog Entries

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Well, time for another update. I am just about to hit 3,000 for the first time after I had the LS6 Valley Cover installed.

Just to refresh, with the stock LS1 PCV setup I was about 2 qts low after 2500 miles. I had the oil changed and monitored it since then. After 1500 miles, i was already 1 qt low. At this point I decided to have the LS6 Valley Cover installed since a lot of people on here and elsewhere recommended it.

Since the new valley cover was installed, i had no oil loss at 1500 miles. Some progress was made.

I checked the level again at 2500 miles and I was 1 qt low. Instead of taking a chance and just going the extra 500 miles until my scheduled oil change, i just added the 1 qt and will drive a little over 3,000 miles.

So, in the end, the new valley cover ended up saving me 1 qt of oil over the 3,000 miles. It's good to know i don't have to check the oil quite as often as before but I will still be keeping an eye on it. As for the 1 qt that is low, I guess i'll just have to put in 1 qt every 2500 miles or so. I know i can always install a catch can, but this will work for now.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information