pewter
    99 vette

Low compression on cylinder #4

I do a pretty hard pull from 2nd into 3rd, well something just didnt feel/sound right. I had a bad miss and my check engine light was blinking, yes BLINKING, which on GM's means imminent engine failure I think?. Soooo I pull it in the bay cross my fingers and hope to find a injector unplugged or a spark plug wire not plugged in all the way or even a vacum leak. So I grab my scanner and it says misfire on cylinder 4. I pull the plug and there is oil all over it (not a good sign). Hook up the gauge crank her over and she read 0!! So looks like I will be rebuilding an engine now.
    I want to beef her up real nice, who is making the best forged internals? I heard the stock crank is good and will hold a lot of power, this car will see a supercharger right after the install. I would like to keep factory compression ratio though in case I want to go back N/A. What is everyone's thoughts? Thanks

Heres the mods I have...
    Trick Flow cnc ported 515hp genx heads, Trick Flow cam, Harland Sharp roller rockers, LS2 MAF, FAST 92 Intake, 42lb injectors, 92mm T/B, Kooks 1 7/8" long tubes and 3" catted x pipe, BBE 3" Bullet catback, Powerbond underdrive, ported LS6 oil pump, Hurst shorty shifter, Wideband, T-56 6spd, C6 Z06 wheels, Vararam ram air, Vararam air bridge, stage 3 Monster clutch...457rwhp on the superflow
    Last edited by MachWon; 09-02-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: needed to list mods...

pewter
    99 vette

Any recommendations on where to get a nice shortblock? I think I will get a 383 stroker and stay N/A for now but would like one with forged internals in case I want to go a different route in the future.

black
    1999 camaro SS

look at Texas speed or golen engines. both make reasonably priced short block for different app.'s I have my eye on golens Lq9 iron 427 short block for less than 5 grand

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MachWon View Post
    I do a pretty hard pull from 2nd into 3rd, well something just didnt feel/sound right. I had a bad miss and my check engine light was blinking, yes BLINKING, which on GM's means imminent engine failure I think?. Soooo I pull it in the bay cross my fingers and hope to find a injector unplugged or a spark plug wire not plugged in all the way or even a vacum leak. So I grab my scanner and it says misfire on cylinder 4. I pull the plug and there is oil all over it (not a good sign). Hook up the gauge crank her over and she read 0!! So looks like I will be rebuilding an engine now.
    I want to beef her up real nice, who is making the best forged internals? I heard the stock crank is good and will hold a lot of power, this car will see a supercharger right after the install. I would like to keep factory compression ratio though in case I want to go back N/A. What is everyone's thoughts? Thanks

Heres the mods I have...
    Trick Flow cnc ported 515hp genx heads, Trick Flow cam, Harland Sharp roller rockers, LS2 MAF, FAST 92 Intake, 42lb injectors, 92mm T/B, Kooks 1 7/8" long tubes and 3" catted x pipe, BBE 3" Bullet catback, Powerbond underdrive, ported LS6 oil pump, Hurst shorty shifter, Wideband, T-56 6spd, C6 Z06 wheels, Vararam ram air, Vararam air bridge, stage 3 Monster clutch...457rwhp on the superflow
    ....so you basically had zero compression on cylinder number 4. Did you remove your head yet to see the offending issue???..ie, broken and severely fractured piston, broken rod, cracked block???

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

Dude,,,remove I had zero in one of my cylinders,,,thought I blew the motor,,,but walah,,I removed the head,,,ran some water in the runners,,and found it to be a very slighty bent valve,,

Let me tell you,,the valve when removed looked fine,,but stick the valve in a drill and spin it up and any variations show fast,,

remove your head in question,,lay it down so the intake runners are facing up,,,then fill up slowly each intake runner and watch and see which valve in the suspect cylinder is leaking,,then do this same act to the exhaust ports,,this is hot I found my bent valve,,,25 bucks a valve,,god luck

Thread Information