black
    00 ss camaro

Looking for some knowledgeable AFR head help!

So not by choice i ended up gettin a set of afr 225 heads from a junkyard that had never seen the street and only three track passes.. i know they were barely used because i just wiped the chambers clean... so anyways i have a stock bottom end ls1 with a TRak cam and full bolt ons i want to put them on soon but will they work? cam change? im gettin a new intake manifold possibly a street warrior or ported 90/90 but i wanna know what i should do with these heads
    00 SS TRak CAM,VALVETRAIN,CAI,HOOKER LT'S,3" ORY,CAT DELETE,PCV+EGR DELETE,LS6 MAN.90MM PORTED T/B, ASP UNDERDRIVE PULLEY,LS6PORTED OIL PUMP, FULLY BUILT T56 VIPER TRANNY,MOSER 12 BOLT 3.73'S 33 SPLINE BOLT IN AXELS ALL HOTCHKISS SUSPENSION.,BMR ADJ. TQ. ARM.,SFC'S, E. CUTOUT. 423 rwhp 416 rwTQ.

This is just me personally speaking but before I try to use a set of used heads,,,I would send them off and have them pressure checked, check for flatness, and other defects. I would also check the valve springs for seat and open pressures at the correct installed height,,,,you may need to change the springs for your particular application. Check the valve seals,,,,and I would also check the valve guide clearances to be safe.
    Most shops will also re-lap the valves in for a good valve seat seal.

None of this stuff cost much at all and is mainly a precautionary measure. But would be good insurance before going though all that work to install them only to find a warped head, excessive oil consumption, a leaky intake or exhaust valve seat, or the wrong valve springs.

There's no telling what the heads were on or what they have been through. I would expect to spend at least a little money on them.

Black
    1991 GMC Syclone

I wanna go to that junkyard!

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by BlueByU-SS View Post
    So not by choice i ended up gettin a set of afr 225 heads from a junkyard that had never seen the street and only three track passes.. i know they were barely used because i just wiped the chambers clean... so anyways i have a stock bottom end ls1 with a TRak cam and full bolt ons i want to put them on soon but will they work? cam change? im gettin a new intake manifold possibly a street warrior or ported 90/90 but i wanna know what i should do with these heads
    those heads wont work on your ls1 too big,i have some AFR205s that would work great on the ls1
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Well they will technically work, it's just the intake runner is a little on the large size for only 346 cubic inches.

Nothing a large cam, alot of gear, and high rpms wouldn't take care of

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    those heads wont work on your ls1 too big
    I agree - send them to me

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    those heads wont work on your ls1 too big,i have some AFR205s that would work great on the ls1
    Nah they will work...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

They will work but there are a couple mods that we do on ALL AFR's out of the box. Such as I would have a local machine shop cut the spring pocket and put a cup under the spring to locate it rather than just having a hardened shim under it. Also the junkyard will tell you what ever you want to hear to sell parts so yes they need to be check out as Larry said for the deck being straight,spring pressure,and valve seal.
    I would look for a local shop that has a Serdi valve machine and have a valve job done.
    Are you running a stock gear still?
    Is your car a A4 or T-56?
    And WTF is a TRak cam?
    That is a rather large intake runner head for your small motor. I would put a cam that is CUSTOM ground to take advantage of those specific heads and YOUR cars specs not an off the shelf BS universal grind.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Thread Information