black
    2000 camaro z28

looking for a mild cam

hope this info isnt already in a sticky somewhere...but im interested in getting a small cam in my 2000 z, its just that i dont know much about cam specs... i know what it does and all, just looking for someone to recommend a mild cam that will show some good gains without the damn thing sounding like its taking its last breaths if you know what i mean... pop...1,2,3...pop...1,2,3...pop...1,2,3<--- like that, well i hate being that guy that asks the generic question on here but i have to.. info i need is .. what brand, specs..price.. and idle info... thanks fellas

black
    2000 camaro z28

and can i just put the cam in and see good gains or do other stock components need to be changed?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

a 224 or a 228 cam would be mild enough for you...

click on the links in my sig and you will hear it...

when doing a cam upgrade you need to also upgrade your timing chain to an Ls2 chain, Ls6 oil pump, dual springs, bases, retainers, pushrods, and the cam itself...

companies out there make cam packages for good prices...

as for not wanting a choppy idle, then you want a cam with nothing lower than a 114 lsa. my Comp 224/224 .581/.581 has a 112 lsa which means it has a little lope at idle to it. the 114 lsa is a bit smoother...

i did the cam install before doing exhaust, intake, heads, headers, etc. and i gained 25 rwhp and 14rwtq. keep in mind that all cars will respond differently to the same mods and don't get caught up in peak numbers because that will only lead to disappointment down the road...

after swapping any cam, you need to have your car tuned and the price is around $400 for it...

any other questions, let us know...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

black
    2000 camaro z28

now will getting a 114lsa cause me to lose power?...your cam didnt sound to choppy..i mean a little but not to bad... yours is COMP, how much did you pay for the whole package?...

i want to get it on the dyno soon and i was eventually going to get a cam so i figured i should do the cam now then dyno...preventing me from having to tune it again...thanks alot!!!for the info

oh and whats an average install price for a cam package

sorry for all the ??.. i appreciate the info

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Wink If you're new to the "cam game"...

Here's a link that might help you in choosing the right cam for you.
    http://www.ls1howto.com/ click on the F-body cam and valve sping swap link and there is a Cam Basics chart and graph on all kinds of different camshafts, from stock to extreme. As for buying a cam check out thunder racing. They have custom grinds for about 400. Also they're know for the Trex cam. Hope that helps. Good luck!

black
    2000 camaro z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lvbroham1 View Post
    Here's a link that might help you in choosing the right cam for you.
    http://www.ls1howto.com/ click on the F-body cam and valve sping swap link and there is a Cam Basics chart and graph on all kinds of different camshafts, from stock to extreme. As for buying a cam check out thunder racing. They have custom grinds for about 400. Also they're know for the Trex cam. Hope that helps. Good luck!
    wow that was good stuff...i was able to read it and actually i now fully understand the specs and what i sconsidered mild, average, or extreme...good info thanks

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by 00maroz28 View Post
    now will getting a 114lsa cause me to lose power?...your cam didnt sound to choppy..i mean a little but not to bad... yours is COMP, how much did you pay for the whole package?...

i want to get it on the dyno soon and i was eventually going to get a cam so i figured i should do the cam now then dyno...preventing me from having to tune it again...thanks alot!!!for the info

oh and whats an average install price for a cam package

sorry for all the ??.. i appreciate the info
    i paid $750 for a cam package from a member off this site, all part being brand new. for that price i got: Comp 224 cam, Comp poly-chrom 7.25" pushrods, titanium bases, titanium retainers, Ls2 timing chain, Ls6 oil pump, Patriot Dual Gold springs (.650 lift), all gaskets...

actually the smarter move would be to dyno now (untuned for a baseline before mods), then do headers/exhaust first (stay untuned), then install an Ls6 intake and the cam all at once and then get it tuned. it makes no sense to cam a car before doing supporting mods first since you will only choke the numbers/gains you get from a cam with having at least full exhaust done first...

most dyno pulls are for 2-3 runs and cost between $50-$75 bucks (no tuning is involved for dyno pulls). i dyno'd my car after installing an SLP lid and the SLP LM cat-back and i was sitting at 325/330. with all that i have done now my car sits at the current numbers. even though i have an Ls6 intake on my car, i have a FAST 90/90 and bigger cam i want to put in so i can get a little closer to the 450rwhp mark. i think i will see between 430-440 when it's all done, and that's fine with me as well...

a tune runs between $400-$600, and is a one time charge. however to retune your car after adding another mod is about $50 due to the fact they charge you the dyno time to retune you car. in the end it's really up to you when you choose to tune your car...

as for cost, that varies from shop to shop, so i cant really help you there, plus price will be affected on when you choose to do your tune as well. regardless once you swap a cam that really when you need to tune...

having a cam on a 112lsa vs a 114lsa means that the TQ will start slightly lower in the RPM band and you lose just a little in the high RPM's. you need to decide on where the majority of your driving falls and then that will also help you to figure out what LSA you choose to get...

no worries about asking the ???'s, we're here to help...

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by 00maroz28 View Post
    hope this info isnt already in a sticky somewhere...but im interested in getting a small cam in my 2000 z, its just that i dont know much about cam specs... i know what it does and all, just looking for someone to recommend a mild cam that will show some good gains without the damn thing sounding like its taking its last breaths if you know what i mean... pop...1,2,3...pop...1,2,3...pop...1,2,3<--- like that, well i hate being that guy that asks the generic question on here but i have to.. info i need is .. what brand, specs..price.. and idle info... thanks fellas

there are a couple different routes to go with

vinci has a few i'd reccomend: xxx, 055, or 056 cam
    http://vincihighperformance.com/CAMS...%20LS1%202.htm

thunder racing has a couple you can go with as well: 214/220, 224/224, or 224/227
    http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...id=88&pcid=122

any cam swap will have to have valve springs. stock springs can't barely handle a stock cam. hardened pushrods are a great upgrade. at higher rpms, pushrods turn into spaghetti and flex all over the place.

the higher the LSA the longer the poweband. the narrower the LSA the more peaky and shorter the powerband will be.

cliff notes:
    higher LSA - torque held longer throughout the powerband.
    narrower LSA - more peak torque at expense of shorter power band.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

black
    2000 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    i paid $750 for a cam package from a member off this site, all part being brand new. for that price i got: Comp 224 cam, Comp poly-chrom 7.25" pushrods, titanium bases, titanium retainers, Ls2 timing chain, Ls6 oil pump, Patriot Dual Gold springs (.650 lift), all gaskets...

actually the smarter move would be to dyno now (untuned for a baseline before mods), then do headers/exhaust first (stay untuned), then install an Ls6 intake and the cam all at once and then get it tuned. it makes no sense to cam a car before doing supporting mods first since you will only choke the numbers/gains you get from a cam with having at least full exhaust done first...

most dyno pulls are for 2-3 runs and cost between $50-$75 bucks (no tuning is involved for dyno pulls). i dyno'd my car after installing an SLP lid and the SLP LM cat-back and i was sitting at 325/330. with all that i have done now my car sits at the current numbers. even though i have an Ls6 intake on my car, i have a FAST 90/90 and bigger cam i want to put in so i can get a little closer to the 450rwhp mark. i think i will see between 430-440 when it's all done, and that's fine with me as well...

a tune runs between $400-$600, and is a one time charge. however to retune your car after adding another mod is about $50 due to the fact they charge you the dyno time to retune you car. in the end it's really up to you when you choose to tune your car...

as for cost, that varies from shop to shop, so i cant really help you there, plus price will be affected on when you choose to do your tune as well. regardless once you swap a cam that really when you need to tune...

having a cam on a 112lsa vs a 114lsa means that the TQ will start slightly lower in the RPM band and you lose just a little in the high RPM's. you need to decide on where the majority of your driving falls and then that will also help you to figure out what LSA you choose to get...

no worries about asking the ???'s, we're here to help...
    im already modded... slp flowpac, LT's, ORY, 160 thermo., 85mm MAF, msd wires, ngk iridum plugs, borla exhaust.. plus suspension mods... i just mainly am not too educated in cam specs and finding the right one for my car... but im getting there now

NBM
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z-28

These guys know their shit. I personally liked using ls1howto.com to figure out what I wanted and used their step by step instructions to do it myself. I was a lot of fun and a great learing experience. If you can get your hands on some good tools and a nice shop and someone with a little bit of experience you will learn a lot also. All at the cost of a case of Corona or Miller Lite....

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

Ive got the perfect cam for you!! Its is a great street grind from SLP and makes a boatload of torque!! as well as some good ole horsepower!! You will need to run some drag radials and perhaps some suspenion helpers to plant those suckers to the ground. If not, youll get some serious wheel hopping going on, to the point of replacing parts!! This cam has a nice little lope on idle and is the SLP 15011 Camshaft!! 216/220 dur. @.050 563/568 lift w/ 114centerline. Asking 200.00 shipped. TRUST me in that this IS the perfect cam you want. It was my first! Now sleeping in my new Comp.Cam box and ready to ship!! You will need to update your springs to handle the extra load. I also have the New Crane in-car spring compressor which you will need to change out your springs! Asking 80.00 shipped! Orig. price at Vinci"s is 120.00! Will ship out together for 250.00 firm!! Best time 1/4 with just the cam after 3 runs was a 13.2@108.2 w/2.1 60ft street tires, 12.9@108.9 BFG's drags

black
    2000 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by jrgswhitels1 View Post
    Ive got the perfect cam for you!! Its is a great street grind from SLP and makes a boatload of torque!! as well as some good ole horsepower!! You will need to run some drag radials and perhaps some suspenion helpers to plant those suckers to the ground. If not, youll get some serious wheel hopping going on, to the point of replacing parts!! This cam has a nice little lope on idle and is the SLP 15011 Camshaft!! 216/220 dur. @.050 563/568 lift w/ 114centerline. Asking 200.00 shipped. TRUST me in that this IS the perfect cam you want. It was my first! Now sleeping in my new Comp.Cam box and ready to ship!! You will need to update your springs to handle the extra load. I also have the New Crane in-car spring compressor which you will need to change out your springs! Asking 80.00 shipped! Orig. price at Vinci"s is 120.00! Will ship out together for 250.00 firm!! Best time 1/4 with just the cam after 3 runs was a 13.2@108.2 w/2.1 60ft street tires, 12.9@108.9 BFG's drags
    how about 125$ i mean it is used...plus im gonna have to buy springs...dont need the compressor because i will have it professionally installed

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

Specially priced together as a package!! Cant go that low on just the cam! Best I can do for you is 180.00 shipped. Hard to buy and find a decent cam, even used, for that price. Very fair price which includes shipment to your front door!

black
    2000 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by jrgswhitels1 View Post
    Specially priced together as a package!! Cant go that low on just the cam! Best I can do for you is 180.00 shipped. Hard to buy and find a decent cam, even used, for that price. Very fair price which includes shipment to your front door!
    150$ high as i can go...including shipping

RED
    2000 Camaro SS

A tr224 is a great all around cam. It has the small cam characteristics you want with good power. I made 380+rwhp 370rwtq,cam only with that cam. You are in Jersy, I would call TTP. They do great work and prices are good too. Cam install with all parts & tune I would expect to pay $1,600 +/-

white
    98 SS

go to ls1sounds.com

it has all types of exhausts and cams so you can mix and match to hear what each will sound like w/ your current application

Thread Information