Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Looking for a good budget head...

Already picked up a LG g5x2 cam..looking to mate it up w/ a nice set of heads, budget friendly is a big factor...unfortunately i dont have deep enough pockets to get some afr's,etc...Ive done some homework just looking for some other opinions. From what I found this looks like the best bang for the buck

http://texas-speed.com/p-1172-prc-st...ted-heads.aspx ...
    Last edited by BrownsMillsAntz; 11-08-2011 at 05:56 AM.

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

I good cheap upgrade would be a set of ls6 243 or 799 heads (same head) Will give you a pretty jump in hp. and if thats not enough for you then you can send the to AI for some of their magic..

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Quote Originally Posted by WS6SP33D View Post
    I good cheap upgrade would be a set of ls6 243 or 799 heads (same head) Will give you a pretty jump in hp. and if thats not enough for you then you can send the to AI for some of their magic..
    There very similar but not the same head...and id like a little more then the 15 hp a set of stock LS6's would give me....Looked into AI and for what they charge plus the cost of the heads it just isnt cost effective....Have a good local shop might just grab some 241's and have them work there magic...

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

Rebuilding original heads, or even a used set of 243's can cost nearly as much as a set of brand new castings.

For CNC ported rebuilt heads, the Texas Speed sets are pretty reasonable, either the 5.3's or the LS6 heads would be a good choice from them.

For cheap bang for the buck I like the new RHS castings, they have cast in improvements with a new "as cast" technique that looks like they've been CNC'd, and they flow better numbers than the CNC ported stock castings from Texas Speed. Ultimately you'll have to go with what your budget will allow.

I looked them up again, either 205cc intake runner or 225cc intake runner for $621 each, complete with a 62cc comb chamber. Not bad for brand new castings. I seem to remember the flow numbers somewhere north of 300 cfm, which rivals any cathedral port stock GM castings that have been extensively ported.

Of course you can get RHS ported too with much larger intake runners, but that's more money.....

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

good info thx

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I looked them up again, either 205cc intake runner or 225cc intake runner for $621 each, complete with a 62cc comb chamber. Not bad for brand new castings. I seem to remember the flow numbers somewhere north of 300 cfm, which rivals any cathedral port stock GM castings that have been extensively ported.

Of course you can get RHS ported too with much larger intake runners, but that's more money.....
    Actually found them for a better price then that, there both identically priced what would you reccomend the 225cc or the 205cc?

Sorry, that price was straight from RHS. Certainly vendors should have them cheaper.

I'm not familiar with your build, cubic inch or camshaft. I'd have to dig up the flow numbers to make a definate choice too.

If a 346 then I tend to lean towards the 205's. I seem to remember they flowed excellent numbers for their size. 225's wouldn't be a bad choice and they give you room to grow a bit too. I'd get in touch with RHS and see if they can provide some flow information and suggestions for your combo.

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMillsAntz View Post
    There very similar but not the same head...and id like a little more then the 15 hp a set of stock LS6's would give me....Looked into AI and for what they charge plus the cost of the heads it just isnt cost effective....Have a good local shop might just grab some 241's and have them work there magic...
    No actually they are the same exact head with different casting numbers. In 2007 gm even produce some 5.3's with a 243 on one side and a 799 on the other. Only different ones are 799's never came on a z06 with sodium filled valves. But as i was saying you can get a set of 243's or 799's (non sodium filled valves) for around $250. I get them in my shop all the time. Send them to AI and 226cc ir and 64 cc combustion for another $800. I have had this done a few times for multiple customers which have came back with better flow results than my afr's mamofied. Anyway goodluck with any choice you make. Note: i just bought a set of sodium filled 243 heads of a z06 for $400.

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

No actually they are the same exact head with different casting numbers. In 2007 gm even produce some 5.3's with a 243 on one side and a 799 on the other. But as i was saying you can get a set of 243's or 799's (non sodium filled valves) for around $250. I get them in my shop all the time. Send them to AI and 226cc ir and 64 cc combustion for another $800. I have had this done a few times for multiple customers which have came back with better flow results than my afr's mamofied. Anyway goodluck with any choice you make. Note: i just bought a set of sodium filled 243 heads of a z06 for $400.
    I know there the same casting but the valves are different which wouldnt make them exactly the same ...and yeap most used 243's go for around 400

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

I know there the same casting but the valves are different which wouldnt make them exactly the same ...and yeap most used 243's go for around 400
    lol only the sodium filled valved 243's are different like i said. But most 243 heads do not have sodium filled valves. As i Said the heads not the valves are Exactly the same. Sodium filled or z06 heads sale for around $300 more than regular 243's or 799's.. You should be acle to find a regular set easy for around $250..

To be more precise, the original 5.3 truck heads from 99 on up had a completely different combustion chamber that only measured 61.15cc.
    The LS6 heads (or 243's) had a combustion chamber of 64.45cc. Not only that but the combustion chambers were specifically designed to be more efficient to have less burn time and therefore requires less ignition timing to make power. Because of less timing allowing for more efficient combustion the engine produced a better torque curve.

The descrepency I've always wonder is,,,,since 243's were sometimes used on the little 5.3's, then how would they have compensated for at least a 1/2 point drop in compression ratios???

Also, the 5.3's are listed as having only a 200cc intake runner and a 70cc exhaust runner, where as the 243's specifically have a 210cc intake runner and a 75cc exhaust runner. Not to mention the LS6 243's have a unique D shaped exhaust port that creates a flat floor for a wider short turn radius from the valve pocket. This also improves flow.

Because of all this, I'd rather start with a set of 243's if I absolutely had to choose a stock cast GM head.

I get them in my shop all the time. Send them to AI and 226cc ir and 64 cc combustion for another $800. I have had this done a few times for multiple customers which have came back with better flow results than my afr's mamofied. Anyway goodluck with any choice you make. Note: i just bought a set of sodium filled 243 heads of a z06 for $400.
    For a real comparison I would have to see which AFR's you are referring to. I have yet to see a stock GM casting head ported, flow better than mamofied AFR's,,,,that is keeping the intake runner sizes equal. Your 226's are getting on the large side for a cathedral port.

...Looked into AI and for what they charge plus the cost of the heads it just isnt cost effective....Have a good local shop might just grab some 241's and have them work there magic...
    And that's the real issue. To take a set of used heads that more than likely will need some valve guides replaced, possibly some valves replaced, if not all of them for an upgrade, maybe some valve seats replaced for wear, refacing of the mating surface for flatness, a good valve job (this will change the price depending) and a new set of springs and retainers, and you are looking at $800+++ easily for good quality work including cleaning and magnafluxing.
    Tack onto that any port work you might want to have done and you start to see why "out of the box" CNC ported heads ready to go really look tempting. In most cases you get a brand new and improved casting rather than used heads.
    That's really the question you have to ask yourself.

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Few pics of the current setup for shits and giggles...New paint and wheels hopefully coming soon.....

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    And that's the real issue. To take a set of used heads that more than likely will need some valve guides replaced, possibly some valves replaced, if not all of them for an upgrade, maybe some valve seats replaced for wear, refacing of the mating surface for flatness, a good valve job (this will change the price depending) and a new set of springs and retainers, and you are looking at $800+++ easily for good quality work including cleaning and magnafluxing.
    Tack onto that any port work you might want to have done and you start to see why "out of the box" CNC ported heads ready to go really look tempting. In most cases you get a brand new and improved casting rather than used heads.
    That's really the question you have to ask yourself.
    Again good info.....appreciate it...

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

FBJ- is that the price for both heads or per head? if that is the price for both im going to buy some now

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    FBJ- is that the price for both heads or per head? if that is the price for both im going to buy some now
    That's each head straight from RHS, but Brownsmills mentioned he's found them cheaper at a vendor.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

In the January (the one out now) issue of gm high tech they put a set of the RHS head FBJ is talking about on a ls1 car but they don't give flow numbers but they got 20 rwhp and 17.5 lb-ft in the mid range whit them
    "The Camaro SS looks like it could kick your ass. The Trans Am WS6 looks like its on its way over to do it."

treat stressful situation like a dog. if you can't eat or hump it, then piss on it and walk away.

keep your foot in it,till you see god

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    In the January (the one out now) issue of gm high tech they put a set of the RHS head FBJ is talking about on a ls1 car but they don't give flow numbers but they got 20 rwhp and 17.5 lb-ft in the mid range whit them
    Interesting, the article that got my attention was an LS head cathedral shootout (of sorts) where they stuck each head on a flow bench and tested. The RHS heads were a relatively new casting at the time. I think they tested 7 or 8 sets of well know heads, and I remember the RHS castings in the top 2 or 3. For the money they were praising how well they did.

Thread Information