Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

looking for a cam!

i know there is 100s of threads bout this, some times you cant find what you looking for..
    so now im ready to pick up a deacent cam, what cam should be good for me?
    i had in mind ms3, but is to much for me.. so im thinking on the 228/230 range.. i dont know what the "lsa" means
    i dont want anything very loud, im in cali so i dont wanna make it too ovious that i have a cam, emissions is not an issue for me,
    im installing LTs no cats, ls6 intake, and polish the ls1 heads,,, what other parts i need to change?
    im in a low budget,
    thanks for the help guys!

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Call a vendor they'll steer you in the right direction

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

If emissions is not an issue, why don't you want anyone to know it's cammed? You can never go too big!

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

98MARO,
    LSA stands for Lobe Seperation Angle. It refers to the distance between the intake and exhaust lobe's peak lift in degrees. The smaller this measurement is the more overlap (time that both the intake and exhaust valve is open) the more "LOPE" the cam will have. This is the choppy idle you hear on some cams. The LSA will also affect the "power band" of the cam. The lower your LSA the more top end you cam will have where as the higher the LSA the more low end you will get outta your cam. Hope that clears up LSA for you.

As fars as the cam for you man i would go with ANTZ and give the vendor a call. Explain to them what you are looking for in your cam swap and they will def be able to point you in the right direction with ease. They will also be able to let you know what they recommend to supplement your cam swap with to better help you achieve your goals with you cam swap. Look foward to hearing what you go with man!
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 A-4:
    Volant CAI, BBK LTs, BBK ORY, SLP LM2, FROST Tune, A/C Heat Delete, AIR Delete

Black
    87 951 W 02 Camaro LS1

I like the sound of the Thumpr cam...

DK. Blue Metallic
    2002 SS Camaro

i would say give Futral Motorsports a call. Their F-13 cam is one of the most "copied" cams there is. It's great daily driven cam and will give you great performance at the track. If you add a set StgII LS6 heads ,then it will really put a big smile on your face. It's a 230/232 58*/59* ...choice of lsa ranging from 112- 116 if you choose to custom your F-13 cam a lil'.
    Last edited by LS1Mac; 06-04-2012 at 03:51 PM.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

If you are an auto don't forget you need a stall to match the cam you pick.

Call a vendor is a great idea tell them your needs and they can sell you a cam kit.

Kit would include cam, pushrods, oilpump, springs, seats, etc..., that way it will give you everything you need. You will also need a tune

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

thanks guys/...
    mudstainkilla great info bro, i almost have zero knowledge on cams, now i have an idea on what im looking for.. thanks man, any other info will be appreciated!

my car is an M6 with 3.73s im getting 4.10s soon as well with new ls7 clutch, so that should help a bit more,
    i will call around and see what i can get, as for lift, i heard its better to get it under 600.. whats the reason for that?
    228/232 is kinda what im looking for.. i want my car to sound mean, not very loud, the reason is if i get pulled over and the officer think something is going on related to emissions he can send me to stae inspection, if i fail i better be ready to pay a huge fine, or get my car inpounded.. yeah that's cali!

any advice on what oil pump, springs, push rods to get?

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

as for heads im going to get 243s ported and polished... or at least polish the stock heads

if possible, i want to have the idle just like stock, i dont want to see the RPMS around 900-110..!!
    i will get the car tuned tho
    Last edited by 98maro; 06-05-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Get the 243's P&P'd. You want those heads at minimal with the cam you're thinking about. Should give you a real nice power increase.

One of the most popular and proven cams for the LS1 is the 228R on a 112 LSA. There is also the Torquer V2. Of course, calling a place to get a custom grind is never a bad idea either.

Definitely buy a kit. That way you'll have everything you need for the swap; valve springs, hardened push rods, timing chain, and an upgraded oil pump.

Lastly, be sure to get a tune from a reputable shop!
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

^ x2 on the Torquer V2. Thats what I'm running in mine. Its a 6 speed too, runs great, makes great power, I've havent had any problems after the swap at all. Sounds great too! Just figured I'd throw my .02 out there on that cam. Sounds like everyone has already covered what you need to know, very knowledgeable people here. The only thing I dont think I saw mentioned was you should go ahead and get a 160 degree thermostat since your going to have everything torn apart anyways, and you'll need a tune anyways, might as well go ahead and spend a little more. Thermostats dont cost much at all!
    2000 Camaro Z28 6 speed/cammed/hardtop
    Till the mother fuckin wheels fall off...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yea the thermostat is a good idea. I'm running one in mine since I had to remove the dual radiator fans and run a single fan due to space needed for my intercooler and piping. Every little bit helps!

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

I wish I would have gotten a thermostat when I did my cam swap. I didnt do enough research and realized I should have gotten one since it was right there in the open, so easy to change.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

no worries on the info man, From what ive read after .600 lift you start to mess with the rocker geometry as it relates to where it contacts the valve. This may be why some people have said to stay away from it. Both cams mentioned above (torquer V2, 228R) are both good cams but as i mentioned before I'd call first and see if that is the way that they steer you. Friom what you've talked about though they would prolly tickle your fancy. +1 on the 243s, kit and the thermo as well.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

thanks for the great info guys.. a thermostate will def be on the list if you guys say i need it, i never thought it could make a difference,
    here on my are are 2-3 reputable shops for tunes that specialized on this motors, i will call this guys before i touch the car also,
    i heard both of the cams you guys mentioned i like how both sound, on lsa will be 112 since thats a commun choice and heard great comments bout it, so as for lift i will try to stay under 600, i dont wanna mess anything else lol...
    soon ill be looking at getting some new 243s head from reputable vendors, they go around $1000-$1200 thats not to bad

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

pm sent

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

pm replied. thanks man!

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

hey MARO, in the 3rd installment of GMHTP's LS1 cam write up they were seeing some great stuff from a couple lunati cams, bigger than what you were looking at but who knows the cams they have in the same range as the 228R and torquerV2 may be a good option for you as well.

Here's a link to that article if you wanna take a look.
    LS1 Engine Cam Test - Dyno Test Results - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

jusit remember your gains won't be as large as you think with out heads and also to save money for the tune... if you're going to 4.10 rear gears you might want to go a bit bigger than 228... what RPM range are you looking for power in???

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

think hes planning on some 243s P&Ped

Thread Information