Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Looking for advice on Cam + LS6 Heads for my 01 Z

This is a discussion on Looking for advice on Cam + LS6 Heads for my 01 Z within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 5abivt I was looking at another cam thread and many many people are 400 + with stock ...

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    I was looking at another cam thread and many many people are 400 + with stock exhaust. is the stock exhaust not very restrictive?

It's got me thinking to do the pacesetters + y and high flow cats + stock cat back. then doing the heads/cam
    No people run 400hp with cam only and headers, the stock exhaust traded out for a basic magnaflow will net you 10rwhp.
    by the way cam only and 400rwhp generally means a big ass cam with no low end.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Jkerr27 View Post
    Hey guys,

So far I have a programmer, intake, shorty headers and full exhuast so far. I'm looking for a cam and aren't sure whether to go the 224 route or just balls out and do a 232.

Thoughts?
    What the man above said basically. Unfortuantley shorties don't net any power gains they just look nice. Handhelds are dangerous they create power by leaning the car out. If you intend to stay smog legal and keep the shorties the 224 on a 114 lsa is the biggest you can go 1. because that is the biggest cam that will pass in Ca "legally that is"2. your shorties are going to choke anything bigger. So if you are dead set on shorties then a different cam is needed to work through those shorties with a short intake and long exhaust like the cheater 215/230 117lsa this one is just an example not necessarily what you should get.Also start your own thread so the original poster gets his questions answered-something the mods enforce.

Lastly there is a cruise coming up check out the link below-the start point is in your area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Look at her Moms ass.....it is more accurate than a crystal ball.....is this where I wanna be in 25 years
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Oh I forgot. You kids invented sex/drugs and rock n roll. We just wandered around holding our dicks waiting for you punk ass blowhards to come along and tell us what to do.

Maroon
    2000 LS1

well, I hope I see some modded Z's there. I need ideas as to whether to go nuts with a cam or not. Thanx for the link, i'll be there. That should be fun. Do you have any photo's of the previous cruise?

Maroon
    2000 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    What the man above said basically. Unfortuantley shorties don't net any power gains they just look nice. Handhelds are dangerous they create power by leaning the car out. If you intend to stay smog legal and keep the shorties the 224 on a 114 lsa is the biggest you can go 1. because that is the biggest cam that will pass in Ca "legally that is"2. your shorties are going to choke anything bigger. So if you are dead set on shorties then a different cam is needed to work through those shorties with a short intake and long exhaust like the cheater 215/230 117lsa this one is just an example not necessarily what you should get.Also start your own thread so the original poster gets his questions answered-something the mods enforce.

Lastly there is a cruise coming up check out the link below-the start point is in your area.
    what are you guys doing with cams bigger than 224? change them out every 2 years? I have ideas, was curious as to others. I also thought shorties were smog legal and long tubes aren't. Ya, more power, but hellva install to take out again.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

well, I hope I see some modded Z's there. I need ideas as to whether to go nuts with a cam or not. Thanx for the link, i'll be there. That should be fun. Do you have any photo's of the previous cruise?
    No I don't Mecinoid(a member on here has a pic on his homepage if you do a members search)
    what are you guys doing with cams bigger than 224? change them out every 2 years? I have ideas, was curious as to others. I also thought shorties were smog legal and long tubes aren't. Ya, more power, but hellva install to take out again.
    Shorties are legal but they provide no gains. The thing is if you want to keep the shorties you should go a different cam route to optimize the stock exhaust manifolds, otherwise if you get headers and you find a shop that overlooks the visual you can go as big as a 224 114lsa and expect about 380rwhp on a 6speed. If you say screw smog all together thats where things get interesting

I also posted a visitor message for you.

red
    2000 camaro ss

ls1s come with shortys. . . . .

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    I was looking at another cam thread and many many people are 400 + with stock exhaust. is the stock exhaust not very restrictive?

It's got me thinking to do the pacesetters + y and high flow cats + stock cat back. then doing the heads/cam
    gm did an excellent job designing the f-body exhaust to be a low restriction from factory. thats why cat-back doesnt net much on a stock car, however, it is certainly a restriction when you try to put more air through than stock levels. catback wont net much on a stock car, but it will certainloy choke one that is modded.

Maroon
    2000 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post

224 on a 114 LSA you say? I do like the slight thump it makes. I am shooting for near 400 to 410 a the wheels but I honestly would like to pass stupid a$$ smog. Long tubes i'm sure I can manage but the cam I would like to pass. Do you know that 224 will pass from experience?

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

224 on a 114 LSA you say? I do like the slight thump it makes. I am shooting for near 400 to 410 a the wheels but I honestly would like to pass stupid a$$ smog. Long tubes i'm sure I can manage but the cam I would like to pass. Do you know that 224 will pass from experience?
    unless you know someone....... long tubes will not pass. Cali sucks for smog crap but if you know someone who can help you, its well worth the money and beer

red
    2000 camaro ss

you gotta pass every 2 years? it'd be worth runnin long tubes and just takin 'em off just for emissions. . . .

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    you gotta pass every 2 years? it'd be worth runnin long tubes and just takin 'em off just for emissions. . . .
    yup every two years. Thats what i said about my car, now im way to far off.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    yup every two years. Thats what i said about my car, now im way to far off.
    just get a bone stock one with stock mannys and swap them out for emmissions

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    Ha! the emissions whip. . .

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    That is what i am thinking about doing. you can find ls1's pretty cheap these days

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If you want to pass emissions you should go a different cam route and port and mill the hell out of some 243 heads-even then

hugger orange

you might try calling afew of the cam manufacturers, you might even be able to go with a bigger cam with a higher lsa....maybe a 116-117. that might help you pass emmisions, they should be able to tell you for sure

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    a 224 cam and LS6 ported heads, I would lean closer to the 380-390 RWHP, 400 would be a bit of a stretch.
    My dyno is stingy and I had a 224/112LSA car with kooks and a Fast intake (stock heads) make 401rwhp last week. This M6 car trapped 117 and some change at full weight too to give you an idea.

The week before I had same cam with a set of TEA stg.1 (yeah, basically he needed replacements) and ls6 intake (and boltons obviously) that made 403rwhp.

That cam is constantly overlooked or assumed to be a weak performer.

To the OP, look at lingenfelter's GT2-3. No idle change from stock... it's like a bigger LS6 cam.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information