Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lingenfelter Installed Engine Package

This is a discussion on Lingenfelter Installed Engine Package within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Naaman I didn't see anyone else mention this, so incase this influences the decision, the copy/past from ...

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I didn't see anyone else mention this, so incase this influences the decision, the copy/past from Lingenfelter says "420 BHP." That stands for "brake horsepower," which is horsepower measured at the crank/flywheel, NOT at the wheels. So, if we want to know wheel horsepower, it would probably be around 355-365 or so, assuming a 15% loss.
    Yeah, I didnt even think of that! I seriously dont want to pay 10 grand for 50-ish hp at the wheels and no bottom end rebuild to boot.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I didn't see anyone else mention this, so incase this influences the decision, the copy/past from Lingenfelter says "420 BHP." That stands for "brake horsepower," which is horsepower measured at the crank/flywheel, NOT at the wheels. So, if we want to know wheel horsepower, it would probably be around 355-365 or so, assuming a 15% loss.
    Again, 10k is way too much money for what they are doing. Order a good LSx crate engine from Texas Speed or another vendor and have it shipped to your shop for installation. You should have enough money left for a new clutch or converter and maybe even a decent rear end.

25-383LB should get you more power than you need and you'll have 2700 dollars left over. You can get a good, solid, complete engine for under 5 grand. You just wont get a fancy sticker which you can buy on Ebay. Don't worry, we wont tell anyone. lol

Did you call??

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    If the car is running 11.49 or quicker, it would be required to have a minimum of a 5-pt roll bar. A roll cage would be for cars running quicker than 10.0 seconds; 9.99 or faster....or over 135mph.

No sure who you mean by "they", but if you mean the drag strip police, yes. Unless you're racing at some ma & pa strip that doesn't enforce rules.
    Thanks for the clarification. The "they" I was referring to was, indeed, a "sanctioned" 'strip (one that does enforce the rules of IHRA, NHRA, etc...). I think all of the strips I am near abide by the rules.

We live in an interesting time that some of the cars that can be bought, for less than the price of a house, can break into the low 11's or high 10's off the showroom floor. I remember when friends of mine actually had to trailer in their low 12 second, small block powered cars.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Did you call??
    To be honest, I've been distracted and hadn't called yet. My daughter has been on and off sick (really bad) for the last two weeks, and been in the hospital for the last three days. I'm hoping to get her out tomorrow and get past all of it, and give a call next week to get the down-low.

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. The "they" I was referring to was, indeed, a "sanctioned" 'strip (one that does enforce the rules of IHRA, NHRA, etc...). I think all of the strips I am near abide by the rules.

We live in an interesting time that some of the cars that can be bought, for less than the price of a house, can break into the low 11's or high 10's off the showroom floor. I remember when friends of mine actually had to trailer in their low 12 second, small block powered cars.
    Used to be 11.99 for the roof cars, and I think the production cars being made that were capable of quicker times in the late 90's and early 2,000's is what pushed NHRA to lower that to 11.49, possibly in an attempt to drum up some street car business. That's the rumor I've heard anyway. These power adder cars coming out now get any quicker and they'll have to rethink that number, lol.
    Verts are still 13.49 unfortunately and that hasn't changed. I came out here to Arizona and couldn't even run my nearly stock 02 SS vert anymore....pffff. Back east we ran under the roll bar rule all the time with a few different cars, alot of guys didn't even wear helmets. Out here they chase the street cars away. I haven't had a fast car down there in 3-4 years now, not doing the roll bar thing. And they even got picky on Snell helmet ratings and I wasn't spending $150 updating the helmet either just to have fun a few times a year, just got sick of the whole thing. So anymore I purposely take slower cars down there and just have fun. the best part, if I go 14.0 or slower I can even have my son ride along, and we don't have to wear helmets either (13.99 or quicker requires helmet) And I'm getting alot more enjoyment out of that.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yeah....I tend to agree with you, FBJ. Part of why I haven't ran my car yet is because I already know I'll be required to do a roll bar and it isn't happening. That, and I don't own a helmet either lol. Not buying one for one pass just to be kicked out til I come back with a roll bar installed. I might get away with some stuff at the one track, but Joliet Rt 66 is stringent on the rules.
    It's on jackstands.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Yeah....I tend to agree with you, FBJ. Part of why I haven't ran my car yet is because I already know I'll be required to do a roll bar and it isn't happening. That, and I don't own a helmet either lol. Not buying one for one pass just to be kicked out til I come back with a roll bar installed. I might get away with some stuff at the one track, but Joliet Rt 66 is stringent on the rules.
    Understandable. We used to hit Tri-State all the time because they were a laid back group. Weren't even making Cobra mustang boys wear helmets and they were running 10's. Tech the car and they wouldn't even pop the hood. I always went there to run the chevelle since it was under the roll bar rule. I wore a helmet all the time and the rest of my car met the ET requirements, just no bar. Made dozens of passes over several years there and never a whimper about a roll bar. Ran a couple other cars under the roll bar rule as well. Track prep wasn't always the best there, and it was an old track with nothing but a bathroom, even the racing surface had grass in the middle of the lanes seperating the two. But we put up with those things just to be left alone and enjoy ourselves. Loved that track.
    Also frequented Edgewater just as much over a span of almost 30 years. A little more strict on tech, they would pop the hood at least, and we knew the owner on a first name basis from my fathers car club running their yearly events there. Never worried about Snell ratings on helmets there and never got hassled about the roll bar either.

No kidding here, moved to Arizona and went to Speedworld out here. An old track that opened in about 1962, very much like Tri-State I mentioned above, with a very "old" track feel. I couldn't even get my 02 SS vert through tech. As soon as the guy saw it, didn't care that it was stock, he knew the LS cars could run under the 13.49 roll bar rule (for a vert) and wouldn't even let me through. I played dumb, "it's my wifes car, I've never run it before and have no idea what it does" He eventually let me go. First pass went 12.79 on stock rubber and got a scalding from the ticket guy, SLOW IT DOWN OR PARK IT......he said.
    I tried to come out harder on the stock tires for a banzai pass and spun hard, figured it was a crap pass and stayed in it. Still went a 13 flat and was parked for the day.
    I have more stories down in Phoenix like this but I'll stop flapping.

Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

You've never been to Cecil
    83 Thunderturd even bigger turd probably LQ4 4L80 swap at some point
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the guys here know how to find a nekkid chick farting into a cake but 2+2 stumps the shit out of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My brain must be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Says the king of mockery and shit talking

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

No kidding here, moved to Arizona and went to Speedworld out here. An old track that opened in about 1962, very much like Tri-State I mentioned above, with a very "old" track feel. I couldn't even get my 02 SS vert through tech. As soon as the guy saw it, didn't care that it was stock, he knew the LS cars could run under the 13.49 roll bar rule (for a vert) and wouldn't even let me through. I played dumb, "it's my wifes car, I've never run it before and have no idea what it does" He eventually let me go. First pass went 12.79 on stock rubber and got a scalding from the ticket guy,
    Oh, dude... please tell me you have the time slip!!!
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    You've never been to Cecil
    I've been there, never made a run, just a spectator.😉

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Did you call??

Did you call??
    I did finally call them. They said the LS1 350 cid 420hp package was intended for new cars or cars under 20k miles ( best of luck finding an Ls1 car that fits that AND the owner wants to drop the dough on that package). I don't know why they still advertise it. It is 420 hp at the crank and they do not rebuild the bottom end at that price (hence new or under 20k miles). They suggested I go with thier 383 or 427 packages that they do rebuild the bottom end and add new a new crank etc. At the low price starting at $15k, not happening.
    Last edited by Whamhammer; 01-10-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

J
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Just remember that the "Fresh bottom end" you are talking about is going to cost you about an additional 5k or so. Is it worth 15,000 dollars for a 420rwhp LS1 engine with a fancy sticker under the hood ? 15k can do a lot of good for your car overall. I would really think about it before writing that check. I feel you can buy a complete, low mileage car for that price or put a solid down payment on a brand new SS.
    I did finally call them. They said the LS1 350 cid 420hp package was intended for new cars or cars under 20k miles ( best of luck finding an Ls1 car that fits that AND the owner wants to drop the dough on that package). I don't know why they still advertise it. It is 420 hp at the crank and they do not rebuild the bottom end at that price (hence new or under 20k miles). They suggested I go with thier 383 or 427 packages that they do rebuild the bottom end and add new a new crank etc. At the low price starting at $15k, not happening.
    How about that looks like Keith hit the nail on the head! Be hard to find anyone who would dig into the motor of a 15yr old 20k car for a few extra ponies. When you find them that low most keep them stock.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    J

How about that looks like Keith hit the nail on the head! Be hard to find anyone who would dig into the motor of a 15yr old 20k car for a few extra ponies. When you find them that low most keep them stock.
    To Lingenfelters defenxe, the $15k is for the 383 conversion. Still more money than I would spend, especially considering that there are companies seliing turn key performance LS7's out there for $10ish.

Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

I've been there, never made a run, just a spectator.��
    Ball cap passed as a helmet many a Wednesday night when I had my GTP.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Ball cap passed as a helmet many a Wednesday night when I had my GTP.
    Well, I have heard that a backwards turned baseball cap protects a persons head as well a Snell 90 rating helmet, but not forward facing. ��

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information