red/black
    72 El Camino

lifter pushrod ?

First time I've been into one of these engines.

Is it normal to find wear on the rocker arm end of the pushrods? Mine look like they never spin and have a distinct wear pattern and the ball is worn down pretty good. The lifter end looks normal with no wear. I'm thinking this could have caused the collasped lifter I'm in the process of replacing.

Also I noticed what I believe to be an oiling hole in the lifter. Does it have to be installed in any particular orientation?

White
    1998 Trans Am

The roller lifters & rods don't spin. Did you have good oil pressure before the tear down ? Sounds like you need the whole valve train upgraded. Lifters, push-rods, rocker-arms, & valve springs.
    Floating the valves could also have caused this.

red/black
    72 El Camino

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    The roller lifters & rods don't spin. Did you have good oil pressure before the tear down ? Sounds like you need the whole valve train upgraded. Lifters, push-rods, rocker-arms, & valve springs.
    Floating the valves could also have caused this.
    I know the lifters don't spin but I was surprised to see the wear indicating the pushrods weren't spining. Oil pressure was/is well within limits.I've looked at a couple of used engines at the salvage yard and they have the same kind of wear.

This is in a 130,000 mile engine in a 2000 Silverado so I'm not going to spend a lot of money on it. It's an OK truck but it's hard for me to justify replacing the whole works. In the future if I decide to keep it I'll probably do a crate motor and be done with it but for now I'm going to replace all the pushrods and the lifter that collapsed and run it till it dies or I decide to get rid of it. It runs good and wasn't missing even with the lifter collapsed. The cylinder wear was minimal so a I'm confidant it will last a while yet.

I still haven't seen anything about the orientation of the oiling hole in the lifter so I don't believe it matters which way it goes. So if the heat doesn't get me I'll put it back together next weekend.

Thanks for the input!

White
    1998 Trans Am

Ya, the oil hole shouldn't matter. Speaking of the heat, all my local tracks are closed today because of the heat...

red/black
    72 El Camino

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Ya, the oil hole shouldn't matter. Speaking of the heat, all my local tracks are closed today because of the heat...
    Heat advisory here, 101 plus high humidity. about to leave on the bike to the upstate to an event there. Hopefully the humidity wont be as bad there.

White
    1998 Trans Am

You might need an AC unit mounted on top of your helmet !!!

red/black
    72 El Camino

Finally got a day off with the temp bellow 100 and got my Silverado back together and running. I replaced one lifter and the pushrods on that side. It runs quiet and all is well.

I did have a problem getting it to run till i put the pipe from the air filter to the throttle body back on. I had no idea that it would not run without it. I wanted to check for leaks and stuff so I didn't put it back on at first. It must have caused a probelm with the mass air sensor becuse now I'm getting a MAF trouble code. Oh well, live and learn.

Thread Information