Thread: Lifter noise?

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

Lifter noise?

I have a question for ya'll. When I first start my car in the morning the engine makes no weird noises. But as it begins to warm up, say two or three minutes after start up I hear a ticking which sounds more like valvtrain rather than piston slap. this doesn't seem to be a characteristic of piston slap anyways. Once the engine is at full operating temp the noise disappears. Is this normal? I don't get much time to dink around under the hood so pulling the vc's is out of the question right now. The reason I ask is my dad heard the noise and said it sounded like a collapsed lifter. But I have owned the car two years and put 7000 miles on it and it's made this noise since the day I bought it. Any input?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Post a video of the noise at different stages. How many miles are on the ODO ? Give us more details when you post. Thanks.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

I can post tomorrow. I have 79xxx on the clock.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

I didn't want to start another thread because I seem to have the same problem. But I can describe the sound.....to me, it sounds like a "spark knock"/ noisey valve train. Very noticeable at start up, goes away when shes warmed up....... till I put it in gear, and then I only hear it from first into second. Even after she heats up to full temp, every-now-and-again I hear it going first into second. I've tried Seafoam, and every gas station from Shell to Mobile to the lil corner gas station. Still have that noise. Now here's the info on the car. 2001 WS9 Formula/TA. Bought last Dec with 24k miles. I got the Carfax and the first 2 owners did very little driving.The first owner put 15k in 5 years. Second owner had it 6 years put 3k miles. The last owner had it for 8 months put roughly 5-6k. Im not that worried, but it's very annoying, has even kept me from putting my foot into it.....Most of the time.
    Any comments would be appreciated

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Noise coming from the motor can be one of several things depending on many numerous factors. Unfortunately, it's difficult to access something like this over the internet, even with a video since 99% of videos have poor to terrible sound quality.

Noises like you describe though are typically one of the following: piston slap, a stuck lifter, bent push rod from over-revving, or the worst - spun bearing. It could even be a spark plug arcing or an exhaust leak.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

I've heard this sound before when I owned a "73 LT Camaro, and it was an easy fix......Adjust the timing and/or change to a cold plug. And it's only when I go from first into second, after that...nothing.
    Since I cant adjust anything, figured I'd ask someone more familiar with this type of engine.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Not sure what would change when you put the car in gear. As far as the actual engine, everything would be working the same regardless of what gear you were in. The only difference would be that your clutch has engaged with the flywheel.

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

I'm pretty sure it isn't a spun bearing since I have owned it over 2 yrs and have revved the piss out of it numerous times:-) although the bent push rod would most likely be the culprit lol

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Not sure what would change when you put the car in gear. As far as the actual engine, everything would be working the same regardless of what gear you were in. The only difference would be that your clutch has engaged with the flywheel.
    What I mean is, putting the initial load on the engine. That's when I hear it the worst/loudest.
    And, it's auto, not manual. But that's the best way for me to describe when it happens. Sorry I didn't clarify that sooner.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by The Machinist View Post
    I have a question for ya'll. When I first start my car in the morning the engine makes no weird noises. But as it begins to warm up, say two or three minutes after start up I hear a ticking which sounds more like valvtrain rather than piston slap. this doesn't seem to be a characteristic of piston slap anyways. Once the engine is at full operating temp the noise disappears. Is this normal? I don't get much time to dink around under the hood so pulling the vc's is out of the question right now. The reason I ask is my dad heard the noise and said it sounded like a collapsed lifter. But I have owned the car two years and put 7000 miles on it and it's made this noise since the day I bought it. Any input?
    Have you tried using a different brand of oil?

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

I have tried mobil 1 5w30/10w30 and 0w40 (hated it) and now pp 5w30. Non made any difference except 0w30 made the engine loud on cold start

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

I took a video. If you listen closely you can hear it. http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid1283.photobucket.com/albums/a557/Fbodymadness/20130216_170803_zpsf21a4859.mp4

Thread Information