Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

knock knock...who's there? wait...engine knock...

This is a discussion on knock knock...who's there? wait...engine knock... within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by jiveass yea you right about that....we were watchin overhaulin last night where they did the 64 impala.....her ...

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    yea you right about that....we were watchin overhaulin last night where they did the 64 impala.....her panties got wet.
    LoL! its always a plus when your woman is into what your're into,i love a woman that loves cars

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    good man im contemplating on one for my car this summer to go along with the ls6 motor... do you know what gears you car has? 2.73s or 3.23s?
    3.23s..

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    LoL! its always a plus when your woman is into what your're into,i love a woman that loves cars
    yea and she understands when something goes wrong, its gotta be fixed.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

so after a 50 mile cruise this morning, i noticed while sitting in traffic that my oil pressure had dropped and the car has a serious knock at low rpm.....i wasnt even mad cause i beat on this thing and its got some miles, so i knew it was bound to happen eventually. i checked my oil when i got home, and its lookin a litte wierd, and has some metallic flakes goin on.....im gonna change the oil and see what that does, and if its still the same, time for a transplant.
    hate to hear that,hopefully your car will be back on the road soon,aint nothing like a new LS1 engine although a LS6 doesnt sound like a bad idea

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

3.23s..
    then im changing my opinion lol 3400-3600 stall, with a bolt on ls1 and some decent tires high 11's are there

pewter
    99 trans am

im wonderin how much i can make with port and polish on stock heads...or perhaps some massaged 243's

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

honestly if your going to go with some worked heads and maybe a small cam a crate motor may not be the best way to go. with a stock cam the max you would probably see with heads is 20-25 hp just because the cam isnt big enough to take advantage of the heads. I personally like this build l92 heads on an lq9/ls2 engine of your choice... Get an lq9 shortblock $1200 new slap a set of $700 new stock l92 heads add an ls3 intake and a cam spec'd by pat g and make these numbers for under $3500 cant really beat it. the price it would cost to do this with cathedral heads and an ls1 motor would easily exceed 5k....(link is to ls1tech please do not remove its just a dyno graph) http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/dynamo...p-446rwtq.html

pewter
    99 trans am

wello it has been confirmed.....i have a bad bearing....time to remove engine. damn....

Impounded
    Ha i just had mine confirmed today. Spun bearings sound great!!

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

so what are your plans??? stock? stroker kit? mine is almost gone too
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

pewter
    99 trans am

i havnt decided what to do yet...i think the easiest thing to do is to replace the bearings and if necessary get the crank machined

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

i havnt decided what to do yet...i think the easiest thing to do is to replace the bearings and if necessary get the crank machined
    unless the crank is really chewed up, chances are you can simply polish it and check that it's still within clearance tolerance and won't need to run oversized bearings.

Impounded
    im thinking ls6 or inanything... ill get a ls1 crate and just get a 408 when this isnt my DD

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    im thinking ls6 or inanything... ill get a ls1 crate and just get a 408 when this isnt my DD
    By your track record, you'll still be thinking that 10 years from now...

Black
    '05 GTO

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    IIRC his engine has 100k on it it idk about you but if Im going to tear down a motor for lets say a spun rod bearing you better believe that motor is going to get all new bearings and rings. After 100k the engine is going to show signs of wear like it or not so if the whole thing is apart its silly to not spend the extra 400 and put the new cam bearing in it along with the rings. The pistons may or may not need to be replaced but they usually come with a master rebuild kit. If that motor did spin a bearing there maybe ,metal fragments in the oil passages that would recirculate into the rotating assembly when its put back together so a hot tank wouldnt be a bad idea. IMO if the motor has 100k on it would dumb not do a total rebuild just because it looks ok doesnt mean its not worn. I suppose it could be done for 500 bucks but it would kinda be a low cut job....
    We always get in the discussisions on here I never see measurements posted, I.E. cylinder out of round. ring end gap. main and rod clearances cam measurements. deck flat. NOTHING. Just speculation at how long an engine lasts.

I have swapped plenty of bearings just to quiet an engine down with no problems.
    RUDE, CRUDE, AND SOCIABLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Black
    '05 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    unless the crank is really chewed up, chances are you can simply polish it and check that it's still within clearance tolerance and won't need to run oversized bearings.
    +1 hell yeah, just clean any obstructions with some mothers, and measure that bitch.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    By your track record, you'll still be thinking that 10 years from now...

Sorry to hear all these motors going bye bye!

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    :
    Sorry to hear all these motors going bye bye!
    shit...i beat the hell outta this engine...thats what its made for....if a rod bearing is the only problem i got then im fine with that.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Jay37 View Post
    We always get in the discussisions on here I never see measurements posted, I.E. cylinder out of round. ring end gap. main and rod clearances cam measurements. deck flat. NOTHING. Just speculation at how long an engine lasts.

I have swapped plenty of bearings just to quiet an engine down with no problems.
    I have also and they all are running fine to this day. However with this being a high performance motor I would want to make sure everything is good. I'm not saying the cylinders will look like eggs and yes you could probably get away with the original pistons but heres my reasoning why I wouldnt in this case. These motors have piston slap already (usually) in that case honing the cylinder and then just doing a re-ring doesnt help the problem. For the 1k your going too spend on a complete rebuild kit ie all new bearings, rings, lifters etc the kits come with new pistons of your size choice. In this case why not use them? Have a machine shop bore the block .010 and ensure a good tight fit. Once again not saying its necessary but if my motor slapped it wouldnt even be a question if it was dead quiet I would probably just clean up the bore and put all new rings/bearing etc. No way in hell i'd be putting the original rings and cam bearings back in there.

Black
    '05 GTO

I see your point. I feel that a factory short block is very safe up to 450hp so IF IT IS WITHIN THE FACTORY SPECS, I don't see a need to change anything. I also don't consider piston slap a problem, although it is a hit topic on this site.

Different people, with different ways to skin a cat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information