Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

knock knock...who's there? wait...engine knock...

so after a 50 mile cruise this morning, i noticed while sitting in traffic that my oil pressure had dropped and the car has a serious knock at low rpm.....i wasnt even mad cause i beat on this thing and its got some miles, so i knew it was bound to happen eventually. i checked my oil when i got home, and its lookin a litte wierd, and has some metallic flakes goin on.....im gonna change the oil and see what that does, and if its still the same, time for a transplant.
    Last edited by jiveass; 04-17-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Spun bearing? How severe is the knock? A bent push rod would sound like a knock kinda, but wouldn't affect oil pressure. A stuck lifter might and would also sound like a ticking. Metal shavings to some degree are normal, but depending on how much you got out it's probably not a good sign.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Spun bearing? How severe is the knock? A bent push rod would sound like a knock kinda, but wouldn't affect oil pressure. A stuck lifter might and would also sound like a ticking. Metal shavings to some degree are normal, but depending on how much you got out it's probably not a good sign.
    yea its comin from the bottom end.....i stuck a piece of garden hose to the oil pan and listened to the other end.....im thinkin my oil is really thin since i have that marvel mystery oil in there...im gonna change it and see what happens.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Anytime there is a knock and metal shavings........its almost always new motor or rebuild time. Sucks but if you were expecting it then it lessens the blow.

PS: I've never seen any metal in my oil, only time I seen any amount of metal was when I blew my 82 Trans Am 305 up

EDIT: What I'm saying is, anytime you can visually see metal on the oil dipstick, kiss the motor goodbye within a short amount of time. I would still change the oil and see what it does. Not going to hurt anything
    Last edited by blackSS01; 04-17-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

pewter
    99 trans am

yea the ol lady is bummed, so i had to front and tell her that it may be an easy fix.....but i assume the worst, so if i have to, ill purchase a longblock from cratenginedepot for $2600....sneak a cam and stall in there before i stick it back in...sucks cause we were just discussing a new paint job for this summer.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    yea the ol lady is bummed, so i had to front and tell her that it may be an easy fix.....but i assume the worst, so if i have to, ill purchase a longblock from cratenginedepot for $2600....sneak a cam and stall in there before i stick it back in...sucks cause we were just discussing a new paint job for this summer.
    At least you have an ol lady that likes cars

pewter
    99 trans am

yea you right about that....we were watchin overhaulin last night where they did the 64 impala.....her panties got wet.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

When are you going to change the oil? How long and how much MO did you have in the oil?

pewter
    99 trans am

i wont mess with it for a few days probably....i had 1 quart of mmo, and the rest castrol gtx 10w30.......i started it up about an hour ago to put it in the garage, and the knock wasnt there...which leads me to believe my oil has thinned and needs to be changed since the engine was cooled ....

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

i wont mess with it for a few days probably....i had 1 quart of mmo, and the rest castrol gtx 10w30.......i started it up about an hour ago to put it in the garage, and the knock wasnt there...which leads me to believe my oil has thinned and needs to be changed since the engine was cooled ....
    If you had NO metal on the dipstick I'd say you were fine and maybe a "Piston Slap" issue happened from thinned oil but I'm not holding my breath!

I hope I'm as wrong as two boys in the woods fucking because I don't like to see a buddy have to spend money

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    If you had NO metal on the dipstick I'd say you were fine and maybe a "Piston Slap" issue happened from thinned oil but I'm not holding my breath!

I hope I'm as wrong as two boys in the woods fucking because I don't like to see a buddy have to spend money
    i usually have piston slap until it warms up.....its a different sound than what i heard yesterday.....but this was at operating temp and it started while i was sitting at a red light...but like i said, it cooled down and i started it back up and it wasnt there...so im crossin my fingers....and actually, part of me hopes that its knockin because i would really like a new engine......just have to justify it with the boss...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Ya man I hate to hear that too but metal on the dipstick is never good... On the bright side though an ls6 longblock is around 3500 shipped and you'd be looking at around 400whp with bolt ons and the m6.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Ya man I hate to hear that too but metal on the dipstick is never good... On the bright side though an ls6 longblock is around 3500 shipped and you'd be looking at around 400whp with bolt ons and the m6.
    a4 here, but i have tossed around the idea of ls6

Impounded
    mines about shot. i sounded like a tug boat pulling into the parking lot today so im pribably ordering my ls6 block tonight

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

spun rod bearing(s). bent pushrods won't deposit metal shavings in your oil, sorry.

pull it and rebuild it. i did and its easy. bout $500 if you do it yourself.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

a4 here, but i have tossed around the idea of ls6
    Ya man for the money over an ls1 its well worth it, with an a4 I'd bet around 380 with full bolt ons and a good tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    mines about shot. i sounded like a tug boat pulling into the parking lot today so im pribably ordering my ls6 block tonight
    Ouch man so are you order it from scoggin dickey tonight? My shortblock is almost done it should be going in my car next month, I've got all the little pieces like bolts, gaskets etc to put it together I just need a good set of 243 heads for it lol

Impounded
    pm sent redbird555

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

pm replied

Impounded
    pm replied
    umm i have no messages... you sure u replied?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

lol i just resent it if u still didnt get it reply here and ill just post the links not like a sponsor sells them anyway sorry for kinda jackking the op's thread

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information