Hugger orange
    1999 super sport

Keep or Swap Cam?

I just bought a 99 ss m6 and the guy was intending to put a 408 back in the car but stayed with the stock block. The cam he bought and put back in the car is gigantic. It is like 240/245 .618/.625. I am not sure about the lsa. Should I keep the cam and get a tune with some 4.10's or should i swap it with a more streetable cam. I am looking to do a lot of drag racing and would like to run at least a 7.50 in the eight. The low end is pretty slouchy. I was thinking gears could be the answer. Thanks in advance.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Well it seems like that cam is pretty similar to Magic Stick (3 and 4), i dont know the specs off the top of my head. People do DD cams like yours, it all just depends on what you feel like dealing with every day. The tune also plays a huge role in how streetable it will be. If your going to be doing a lot of drag racing then i would keep it. Gears would definitely help

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I think that will solely depend on your tolerance for "pain" on the streets. A really good tune would help with the drivability, however it can sometimes be a challenge to pin down the tune. There are plenty of guys running similar cams and are comfortable running a M6 on the streets, while there are plenty of guys running slightly smaller cams that would tell you that it just isn't reliable for daily driving on the streets.

I have a "middle-of-the-road" cam and it provides a nice balance between low & mid-range performance and good street manners. I could probably go a bit bigger and be pleased with the performance gain, however it would be a pain in the rear the next time I get stuck in Atlanta traffic.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by badblazeSS View Post
    I just bought a 99 ss m6 and the guy was intending to put a 408 back in the car but stayed with the stock block. The cam he bought and put back in the car is gigantic. It is like 240/245 .618/.625. I am not sure about the lsa. Should I keep the cam and get a tune with some 4.10's or should i swap it with a more streetable cam. I am looking to do a lot of drag racing and would like to run at least a 7.50 in the eight. The low end is pretty slouchy. I was thinking gears could be the answer. Thanks in advance.
    that cam would be super nasty if you twisted it to 7 grand on stock cubes. a set of aftermarket heads (or some work on stockers) and some ARP rod bolts is all you would need to twist that high. if you want to drag race and you can tolerate the lag of the low end, you will be super pleased with what i have suggested.

that cam is really not worth having with untouched heads.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    Well it seems like that cam is pretty similar to Magic Stick (3 and 4), i dont know the specs off the top of my head. People do DD cams like yours, it all just depends on what you feel like dealing with every day. The tune also plays a huge role in how streetable it will be. If your going to be doing a lot of drag racing then i would keep it. Gears would definitely help
    Ive got a magic stick cam in my 01 SS and I hate it for just cruising. bought the car with the cam in it already. It is awesome though for racing.

Thread Information