Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Installing oil pump

For some reason I can't seem to get the gears in the oil pump lined up with the ones on the crank. I didn't pay attention how it was when I took the stock one off. I get the feeling it doesn't fit for some reason. Is there a particular spot that the part with the slot is suppose to go? I got it on the pick up tube and rotated the gears manually a bit at a time trying to see if it will fit but to no avail. I did this at least 6 whole rotations. Any special tricks? Here is what my new pump looks like.

1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black/ Silver

The o-ring has to be in the pump all the way before installing the pickup bolt right? This is too far out right? I am having a heck of a time getting the rest if the pickup in.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The bolt should draw the tube the rest of the way into the oil pump. Just don't force it and risk tearing the O-ring. Don't forget to apply some RTV in the corners where the oil pan, front cover and block all meet.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The bolt should draw the tube the rest of the way into the oil pump. Just don't force it and risk tearing the O-ring. Don't forget to apply some RTV in the corners where the oil pan, front cover and block all meet.
    Alright thanks and I will.

Black/ Silver

I am not sure how I am going to re-install the bolt. I can barely fit my fingers in there. What is better to secure the bolt with.fishing line or wire?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Usually, the oil pan is dropped slightly to allow for better access. However, you hit the nail on the head -- wrap a thin piece of wire around the bolt and use that to get it started into the hole. After a few threads have caught, pull the wire off and proceed to tighten the bolt. Correct alignment of the oil pan is critical so if you elect to drop it ensure that it is fully seated against the transmission bell housing as it is tightened back down.

Black/ Silver

Hmm, okay for some reason the pan won't drop down any. I must have missed a couple bolts. I will look later.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There are two (2) bolts that go through the bell housing into the transmission pan. Look at the back of the pan and you'll see them. At the very bottom of the pan in the back, there are also two (2) long bolts. The rest of the bolts run around the perimiter of the pan rail. The stock gasket is riveted to the pan, so it should drop down with it -- just be careful that it doesn't stick to the block and you end up bending it. Like the front, you should try and get a dab of RTV in each rear corner as well.

Some pics from our car earlier this year (first one shows the bell housing bolts and head of the long bolt):

Black/ Silver

Yep I missed those. Hopefully that will make this infinitely easier.

Thread Information