Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ideas heads for 408

This is a discussion on ideas heads for 408 within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; L92/LS3's were essentially a prototype head for the LS7. Is stock form they Flow approx 330 cfm @.600 lift and ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

L92/LS3's were essentially a prototype head for the LS7.
    Is stock form they Flow approx 330 cfm @.600 lift and can be had assembled for under $500 each (truck head). The LS3 version has lighter valves and better springs. Intake choices for an F-car are limited to L76/LS3 or the couple Carb styles. LS7 will not work because the that engines ports are larger. The Fast 102 will probably end up being the hot ticket though.

Because of the unique Port design and intake to exhaust ratio these heads need specific cam timing. Most of the off the shelf cathedral port cam designs won't show these heads full potential.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Because of the unique Port design and intake to exhaust ratio these heads need specific cam timing. Most of the off the shelf cathedral port cam designs won't show these heads full potential.
    Ive also heard these heads require a different 'style' cam :agree:

Thanks for correcting me on the LS7 intake, I wasnt too sure on that one.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    L92/LS3's were essentially a prototype head for the LS7.
    Is stock form they Flow approx 330 cfm @.600 lift and can be had assembled for under $500 each (truck head). The LS3 version has lighter valves and better springs. Intake choices for an F-car are limited to L76/LS3 or the couple Carb styles. LS7 will not work because the that engines ports are larger. The Fast 102 will probably end up being the hot ticket though.

the ls7 came out before the ls3 didn't it?...but i could see l92 being a prototype for the ls7 but yea the l92 and ls3 are basically the same

408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Right now your only options that I know of for intakes with the L92 heads are the LS3 (not sure if this is the same as L92), L92, L76 (think there are a few carb style intakes as well). The FAST 102 will also be for the L92 heads.

I have been doing quite a lot of looking into these heads, and plan on putting a set from West Coast Cylinder Heads on my new 402. For the dollar they are great heads (flow great even in stock form). However, you are severely limited as far as intakes, and I would not expect to make a high rpm screaming engine (yet). Eventually, I believe that the rectangular design is where heads for the LS are headed, just the everything needs to catch up.

As for the OP it really depends on what you want to do with the engine. Trick Flow makes great products and I have heard many good things about them. They also have several heads that will work well, it just depends on your application.

my car is a 408 being built at rpm and i am pretty much going on keiths opinion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information