View Poll Results: Which cam

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • TSP 228R

6 85.71%
  • TSP Torquer V2

1 14.29%

Cool I want your opinion on my cam only build!!

I plan on getting this done by the end of September. I just need some last min input. My goal is to have a cam only high 11 second car. I ran a consistant 12.5 awhile back and I want to improve. Now, I am torn between the Torquer V2 and the 228R. I want a cam that isnt going to lose any snap down low. I can see both cams getting close to 400rwh. I will be running stock heads, and stock gears because that is all my budget allows. I need quick input because I am placing my order this week!! Thanks!

Setup
    Long tube headers
    Off road y pipe
    Slp lm1
    Ls6 intake
    Lid
    Last edited by Mike0202; 08-29-2012 at 12:21 PM.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Auto or 6 speed? i would go 228r since you are on stock heads. great drivability and still runs great through the power band.

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    Auto or 6 speed? i would go 228r since you are on stock heads. great drivability and still runs great through the power band.
    6 speed. I am alittle worried about running the Torquer on stock gearing. It may be too much for a street car.
    Last edited by Mike0202; 08-30-2012 at 08:51 AM.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

it is a little too much cam for stock gears. i had the 228r in my 01 ss with 3.23's and it ran great and really loved spray. my mods to it are in my sig. that car for what little i had done to it ran its ass off and i daily drove it every day with a/c and all the creature comforts AND had really good manners when i just wanted to cruise.
    2000 ss camaro, forged lq9 370 short block, stage 3 PRC 243 heads, fast 102 w, big mouth throttle body, MS3 cam, 1.7 roller rockers, stage 3 t-56, monster stage 3, pro 5.0, 4.10's with moser axles, bmr tq arm, lca's, phb. SOLD (thankfully)!!!

New project: 1968 step-side, partial restore, ls/th400 swap. hopefully boosted pics and more info to come!!!

Having a small cam is like having a small dick, everytime you go to use it you wish it was bigger

it is a little too much cam for stock gears. i had the 228r in my 01 ss with 3.23's and it ran great and really loved spray. my mods to it are in my sig. that car for what little i had done to it ran its ass off and i daily drove it every day with a/c and all the creature comforts AND had really good manners when i just wanted to cruise.
    What would I expect to see on the dyno? 380-400?. I was also told it is pretty easy to tune.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

i put down real close to 400 through an auto so you shouldnt have any issues getting there with a 6 speed and there not too bad to tune. just dont go lower then a 112lsa and you will be fine. its when you start getting down to the 111-109 lsa that they get to be a real pain in the ass to tune

i put down real close to 400 through an auto so you shouldnt have any issues getting there with a 6 speed and there not too bad to tune. just dont go lower then a 112lsa and you will be fine. its when you start getting down to the 111-109 lsa that they get to be a real pain in the ass to tune
    Okay thanks for your help. Hopefully I can get into the 11's with this cam

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

not on stock gears i wouldnt think unless you spray. 11.9's would probably be stretching it but could be possible with a good tire

I believe Orion runs the 228 cam in his bird with an auto, 3400 stall, and 3.73 gears,,,,he has dipped into the high 11's last I heard but you have to 60 foot really well to do it, the rest of the car has to be setup pretty decent to exploit it. BUT,,,,he is also running aftermarket ported heads along with that cam to do it.

If you want to do cam only (no heads),,,I think you'll fall shy of your 11 second goal with the 228, that cam isn't really THAT big. You'll need to go with a larger cam on a stock cylinder head to crack the 11's in a stock weight 4th gen. Especially with a 6 speed,,,you'll be giving up alot at the starting line and down track unless you are Ronny Sox

Since it's a 6 speed it's a little easier to tune. I'd probably jump into the 230something range on camshaft and nothing higher than a 112 lsa. A cam in this range should dip into the 11's with a 4.10 gear and sticky's,,,,in a full weight 4th gen if you can drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I believe Orion runs the 228 cam in his bird with an auto, 3400 stall, and 3.73 gears,,,,he has dipped into the high 11's last I heard but you have to 60 foot really well to do it, the rest of the car has to be setup pretty decent to exploit it. BUT,,,,he is also running aftermarket ported heads along with that cam to do it.

If you want to do cam only (no heads),,,I think you'll fall shy of your 11 second goal with the 228, that cam isn't really THAT big. You'll need to go with a larger cam on a stock cylinder head to crack the 11's in a stock weight 4th gen. Especially with a 6 speed,,,you'll be giving up alot at the starting line and down track unless you are Ronny Sox

Since it's a 6 speed it's a little easier to tune. I'd probably jump into the 230something range on camshaft and nothing higher than a 112 lsa. A cam in this range should dip into the 11's with a 4.10 gear and sticky's,,,,in a full weight 4th gen if you can drive.
    I was looking at the Torquer V2 but I dont want to lose any snap down low since my car is a street car. I might go to the track once every couple of years so I guess its not a big deal with the time slips. Mostly just a weekend / fun car.
    Last edited by Mike0202; 08-30-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    I was looking at the Torquer V2 but I dont want to lose any snap down low since my car is a street car. I might go to the track once every couple of years so I guess its not a big deal with the time slips. Mostly just a weekend / fun car.
    I'd stick with a 228 or less then,,,,and just be happy what ever it runs. 12 second cars aren't anything to sneeze at and still plenty of fun on the street.

I'd bet money with a 6 speed,,,stock rear gears it will be somewhere in the mid 12's on a relatively clean pass,,,,but it will probably MPH enough to show bottom 12 or high 11 second potential. But you'll need some rear gear, and suspension that hooks, then pray everything else holds together when you dump the clutch at 4500 rpms or more,,,to see those times.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

228 sounds like the best option for what your plans are

Just ordered the 228R. Im pumped, thanks for the help.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Torquer 2 would've been fine for you needs. Can't go wrong with either one though

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Torquer 2 would've been fine for you needs. Can't go wrong with either one though
    I almost got the torquer 2 but in the end I wanted to keep as much low end as possible so the 228R made more sense to run with stock gears. I cant wait to get it done. It will be tuned on a dyno jet so im kind of curious on what it will throw down

I should have the car done by Tuesday. Ill post updated dyno numbers.

Thread Information