Thread: i want head

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Talking i want head

Ok, so as i grow older and wiser, i got to thinking that a nice engine mod would be some head. BUT.....I'm all stock. [scept borla exhaust]

so, does it make any sense at all for me to invest in heads now? would I really see any kinda of substantial gain if I keep stock cam/manifolds/y-pipe but put on some beefy heads?

Would I see similar/equal gains in porting my stock heads vs buying new ones? Does porting the heads create potential failure? what kind of price should i anticipate for either mod?

Follow my lead and get some patriots and a custom cam, but things would work best if you add the supporting mods like exhaust and intake first.. putting money into stock ls1 heads just isnt worth it IMO

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

well, vinci did a test for AFR. took a 2003 LS1 corvette and put the AFR 205cc heads on with 63cc chambers. using stock tuning, it picked up 39 rwhp. here's the graph. does it work, sure. could you spend $2200 and get more by getting the supporting mods first, yes. but, if you want more power and look completely stock, it would be the way to go. patrick g used a cam from thunder racing, called the cheatR cam. it was designed around stock manifolds and cats. put them both together and it would be a real sleeper.

Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

wow, that's a mean dyno there ....i'm all stock and gettin 315 to the wheels on a mustang dyno-how the hell am i more powerful then a vette?!

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    wow, that's a mean dyno there ....i'm all stock and gettin 315 to the wheels on a mustang dyno-how the hell am i more powerful then a vette?!
    lots of reasons, get a vet on the same dyno, with the same atmospheric conditions. Stock cars can vary 30HP from extreme to extreme, our engines were underrated compaired to the ls1 vettes, the only thing they gain is a dual exhaust I believe

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

wow 315 all stock on a mustang dyno. hope they calibrated it correctly. oh, and welcome to florida.

here's my all stock dyno for my 00 formula.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

[borla an lid, but how could that literally give me +30 rwhp?]

none the less, so i shouldn't do and head work until i have some more stuff to do with it? I guess it's important to start from the inside out on these cars....i'll just wait on heads b/c i'd love to bore/stroke the 346 upto 383 or even better, drop a 400+ in there....guess i'll just wait

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

You could do a cam and LS6 intake swap, on the stock heads, and get NICE gains...

-Will

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

see....i hate cams...i hate the lopey sound of them, the "old muscle" sound...i like new, smooth sounds, and frankly i don't wanna cam it at all, or if i were to do so, is there one that is quiet, but powerful, given the same situation? [ls6 intake and cam?]

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

[borla an lid, but how could that literally give me +30 rwhp?]

none the less, so i shouldn't do and head work until i have some more stuff to do with it? I guess it's important to start from the inside out on these cars....i'll just wait on heads b/c i'd love to bore/stroke the 346 upto 383 or even better, drop a 400+ in there....guess i'll just wait
    see now you are telling us that you aren't
    all stock
    . and yes a borla and lid can net you 30 rwhp. just a SLP airlid (W/stock paper filter)netted me 14.73 rwhp. here's that dyno.

see....i hate cams...i hate the lopey sound of them, the "old muscle" sound...i like new, smooth sounds, and frankly i don't wanna cam it at all, or if i were to do so, is there one that is quiet, but powerful, given the same situation? [ls6 intake and cam?]
    Talk with Ed Curtis, http://www.flowtechinduction.com/ the guy who's designing my custom cam. He can make what you want, if sound is most important he can quiet it down and have it work with all the supporting mods. Thunder also makes an Old man Cam... a lot of the sound depends on the Exhaust though, if you wan't to keep the stock muffler there it will quiet things down for sure, then just run a cutout for the track

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

you could go with something like a TR224....barely noticeable with a tune AT ALL...and with an LS6 intake swap, it should give nice gains...

-Will

Thread Information