Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have a HUGE problem! HELP!!!

This is a discussion on I have a HUGE problem! HELP!!! within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Zedicous Record it.. I'm heading off to work now, but when I get home I'll see if ...

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Zedicous View Post
    Record it..
    I'm heading off to work now, but when I get home I'll see if I can't get it done..or tomorrow morning. Thx.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Get a stethascope and find out exactly where its coming from..
    Ah Ha! I borrowed an automobile stehthascope from a co-worker and searched for about 20 minutes to find the sound. I tried without the clutch pushed in and couldnt really find anything. Then I had my gf push the clutch in and the only place where I could hear the ticking was from the passenger side cylinder head toward the front of the car...Not exactly sure if it's coming from the rocker/pushrod area, or from the the lifters. I'm gonna tear into it on saturday so hopefully I find it!!

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Ah Ha! I borrowed an automobile stehthascope from a co-worker and searched for about 20 minutes to find the sound. I tried without the clutch pushed in and couldnt really find anything. Then I had my gf push the clutch in and the only place where I could hear the ticking was from the passenger side cylinder head toward the front of the car...Not exactly sure if it's coming from the rocker/pushrod area, or from the the lifters. I'm gonna tear into it on saturday so hopefully I find it!!
    I thought so, its probably one of the lifters. My maro did that until i started useing Royal purple..

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I thought so, its probably one of the lifters. My maro did that until i started useing Royal purple..
    Really..I used to use RP oil but I switched to Pennzoil Platinum primarily because of cost...I know I have to pull the heads off to get to the lifters, so I'm just gonna start from the top down...who the hell knows, I might get lucky and it'll just be a bent pushrod, but that's a stretch considering the luck I have lol.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Really..I used to use RP oil but I switched to Pennzoil Platinum primarily because of cost...I know I have to pull the heads off to get to the lifters, so I'm just gonna start from the top down...who the hell knows, I might get lucky and it'll just be a bent pushrod, but that's a stretch considering the luck I have lol.
    Well, at under $50 a case to my door didn't seem expensive. If i was to use something else i would use the factory stuff, Mobil1 syn. My Z only did it when cold and after changing oil it stopped. After being into imports for so long i tend to get confussed, i think what i meant was a puch rod, its a long steal rod is what i'm talking about. But i like both domestic & imports especially since i own an 06 Acura RSX Type-S, 93 B16 Civic SIr, 98 Z28 & a 99 C5.. I havn't done the C5 yet, but i did put Purple in the Z28, oil, A4 trans & diff and i like the results.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Well, at under $50 a case to my door didn't seem expensive. If i was to use something else i would use the factory stuff, Mobil1 syn. My Z only did it when cold and after changing oil it stopped. After being into imports for so long i tend to get confussed, i think what i meant was a puch rod, its a long steal rod is what i'm talking about. But i like both domestic & imports especially since i own an 06 Acura RSX Type-S, 93 B16 Civic SIr, 98 Z28 & a 99 C5.. I havn't done the C5 yet, but i did put Purple in the Z28, oil, A4 trans & diff and i like the results.
    That's a pushrod lol. $50 bucks to door isn't bad at all, I paid like $23.99 for 5 quarts of Penz. Plat. on sale (usually like $36.00 for 5 qt.) the one thing I did notice though was that my engine seems to run a little cooler on long trips with the Penzoil, and it cools down faster after driving hard?

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

That's a pushrod lol. $50 bucks to door isn't bad at all, I paid like $23.99 for 5 quarts of Penz. Plat. on sale (usually like $36.00 for 5 qt.) the one thing I did notice though was that my engine seems to run a little cooler on long trips with the Penzoil, and it cools down faster after driving hard?
    These cars sure retain heat, when i drive the C5 during the winter i don't need to use the heater in the garage, but when i drive the imports i have too use the heater. The LS1's seem to throw heat for hours.. Does anyone want an almost free set of hardly used PLATINUM IR FUSION #4505...?

BLUE /
    2005 GTO TURBO STROKER

G'day we use RP down here it costs me $120.00 AU its the only oil i can trust in my engine , after spending $35,000 AU on the engine only the best for her, 5ltr RP s#?^ its
    Exp down here in Aus.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by ADZ View Post
    G'day we use RP down here it costs me $120.00 AU its the only oil i can trust in my engine , after spending $35,000 AU on the engine only the best for her, 5ltr RP s#?^ its
    Exp down here in Aus.
    I can show you were to get it much cheaper, i guess it will then depend on the exchange rate. PM me...

BLUE /
    2005 GTO TURBO STROKER

I can show you were to get it much cheaper, i guess it will then depend on the exchange rate. PM me...
    It would help but transport costs / exchange rate its a bit hard to get at
    res price.
    regs ADZ

Blue
    2001 Z28

i would replace your oil presure sending unit i work in a part store and have had defective ones out of the box if it worked before you broke it it should work with a new one

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Ah Ha! I borrowed an automobile stehthascope from a co-worker
    bah... good old screw driver and put your ear on the handle... does the same job... i've been doing that for years to listen to chattering rockers on LT1's...

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

If you start taking the top apart make sure replace the oem intake with a LSX.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

If you can't find out what it is, you could probably just do a compression test and see if one of the cylinders has a lower compression than the rest. That should tell you if its a bent rod or not.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

hey 01ws6er, ever figure out what the problem was? im having a similiar ticking sound and i checked the springs, rockers and pushrods, they were good. im hoping its not a spun bearing.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by ggino85 View Post
    hey 01ws6er, ever figure out what the problem was? im having a similiar ticking sound and i checked the springs, rockers and pushrods, they were good. im hoping its not a spun bearing.
    No, but it only does it on cold start now and once the car warms up it goes away. The noise is also barely noticable, and the car still runs great, so I'm just waiting till this winter when I do a cam swap and then I'll see if I can find anything wrong with the lifters, of maybe even that little plastic tensioner thing in the timing cover...I've heard that can make a noise similar to a sticking lifter...Good luck

red
    1999 Firehawk

I think it's related to the crankshaft in some way, when you push the clutch in gets worse. That would be applying forward pressure on the crankshaft. Do these motors use thrust bearings? You might want to measure crankshaft end play.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by mike13 View Post
    I think it's related to the crankshaft in some way, when you push the clutch in gets worse. That would be applying forward pressure on the crankshaft. Do these motors use thrust bearings? You might want to measure crankshaft end play.
    I replaced the clutch right after this and the major noise went away. My throwout bearing was crap and my slave was broken in half, so I'm sure that didn't help things at all lol.

Unfortunately I won't be measuring crank endplay for a while as I don't plan on taking apart the motor for quite some time, and it is working fine now.

red
    1999 Firehawk

don't need to take the motor apart, you can measure it at the crank pulley with a mounted dial indicator. I wouldn't b to concern since you said the major noise went away, I was think you still had it at start up.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by mike13 View Post
    don't need to take the motor apart, you can measure it at the crank pulley with a mounted dial indicator. I wouldn't b to concern since you said the major noise went away, I was think you still had it at start up.
    nah, just a little piston slap or lifter tap, that's all lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information