Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have a HUGE problem! HELP!!!

This is a discussion on I have a HUGE problem! HELP!!! within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; did you replace the throw out berring?...

600hp sube power sancar
    68 panel,

did you replace the throw out berring?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by vytamenc View Post
    did you replace the throw out berring?
    Of course, I bought a new slave/throwout bearing with the clutch kit.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I pulled the starter out yesterday while the motor was running and that did not eliminate the noise. The search continues...

BLUE /
    2005 GTO TURBO STROKER

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I pulled the starter out yesterday while the motor was running and that did not eliminate the noise. The search continues...
    G'day this knock ? how loud is this knock ? did you change spogit bearing ??
    Also is it a death knock like piston knock ,some of LS1's thay bend rods at
    times ,and then the piston hits the crank and only a tear down will tell , you will find the problem , the counter weight( crank shaft ) hits the gouegn pin
    area , ( piston ) on the bottom area ,with out listering it my self we can only
    ponder, good luck .

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by ADZ View Post
    G'day this knock ? how loud is this knock ? did you change spogit bearing ??
    Also is it a death knock like piston knock ,some of LS1's thay bend rods at
    times ,and then the piston hits the crank and only a tear down will tell , you will find the problem , the counter weight( crank shaft ) hits the gouegn pin
    area , ( piston ) on the bottom area ,with out listering it my self we can only
    ponder, good luck .
    Spogit bearing??? It doesn't sound like a death knock, as I have heard rod knock before. It sounds like a simple valve tap, but it's not there at idle, gets louder with rpm's, and is REALLY loud when I press in the clutch pedal...

I just had the ls7 clutch kit installed, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, slave cylinder, rear main seal, and some little seal behind the pilot bearing (in the crank) that was leaking.

I'm gonna start tearing into it from the top down and see if I can find what the problem is... Hopefully it's nothing too major... Thanks!!

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

OMG, the one comment any mechanic hates, my car makes a noise, do you know what it is? Take it somewhere good and find out.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Wouldn't it be nice to find out you have an exhaust leak. You could swear something is seriously wrong with the car. Happened to a friend and everyone to include mechanics said anything from a lifter, a valve, valvespring, etc. everything mentioned to him was inside the motor. He happened to stumble across a loose header bolt, tightened it and loud ticking went away. Not more than about a month later similar thing happened to me, ck'd all bolts, ck'd valvetrain, and not sure why but ck'd clamp from header to X-pipe and it was a little loose. Problem solved. Could only wish it was that simple for everyone. Well minus cking everything else first only to realize it was a dam nut or bolt external of the engine and tranny.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice to find out you have an exhaust leak. You could swear something is seriously wrong with the car. Happened to a friend and everyone to include mechanics said anything from a lifter, a valve, valvespring, etc. everything mentioned to him was inside the motor. He happened to stumble across a loose header bolt, tightened it and loud ticking went away. Not more than about a month later similar thing happened to me, ck'd all bolts, ck'd valvetrain, and not sure why but ck'd clamp from header to X-pipe and it was a little loose. Problem solved. Could only wish it was that simple for everyone. Well minus cking everything else first only to realize it was a dam nut or bolt external of the engine and tranny.
    This is why those locking header bolts come in handy, its worth the extra duckies.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Zedicous View Post
    OMG, the one comment any mechanic hates, my car makes a noise, do you know what it is? Take it somewhere good and find out.
    Not everyone just has money lying around. That's why I'm asking to see if anyone else has had a similar issue, and what it was, so that I could eliminate them one by one in an effort to save some green.
    Last edited by 01ws6er; 03-03-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

And why would a mechanic hate that question, thats what they get paid to do...??? Any mechanic who would hate that question, would be a shitty mechanic, because to hate that question would mean that they do not know what they are doing/ looking for, or are lazy and don't want to do their job. If someone is willing to pay me $xx.xx dollar/ hr to find shit wrong with their car, why in the hell would I complain about that...? It just doesn't make sense...

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Usually a knocking is a rod, i know LS1 lifters like to knock, the Z28 does it only when its cold. Is there any vibration with the knocking?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Usually a knocking is a rod, i know LS1 lifters like to knock, the Z28 does it only when its cold. Is there any vibration with the knocking?
    Through my clutch pedal when it's pressed in, but that's all. It's more of a tap than a knock though....There's no better way for me to describe it than a valve tap or a really loud spark knock.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Through my clutch pedal when it's pressed in, but that's all. It's more of a tap than a knock though....There's no better way for me to describe it than a valve tap or a really loud spark knock.
    The lifters use to tap when cold in my Z28 but after switching to Royal Perple they stopped.. Thats very strange for it to only do it when you pedal is down. Makes me think it has something to do with the pressure plate.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Get a stethascope and find out exactly where its coming from..

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Get a stethascope and find out exactly where its coming from..
    Thought about it, but isn't a mechanic's stethascope specially designed for finding noise. And it better not be the pressure plate cause I just had everything clutch related (except master cylinder) replaced.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Thought about it, but isn't a mechanic's stethascope specially designed for finding noise. And it better not be the pressure plate cause I just had everything clutch related (except master cylinder) replaced.
    If you could locate where it was coming from that would make a big difference. Did it do it before the clutch change?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

If you could locate where it was coming from that would make a big difference. Did it do it before the clutch change?
    Yes, it was making the noise before the clutch change, and that's why I had the clutch replaced at this time...my mechanic said it was the clutch or throwout bearing making the noise, so I had it replaced.

My slave cylinder came out in 2 pieces, and the disk was worn down through the rivots, so it was time to replace it anyway but it didn't solve my problem.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Yes, it was making the noise before the clutch change, and that's why I had the clutch replaced at this time...my mechanic said it was the clutch or throwout bearing making the noise, so I had it replaced.

My slave cylinder came out in 2 pieces, and the disk was worn down through the rivots, so it was time to replace it anyway but it didn't solve my problem.
    Have you ever serviced the tranny?
    With it going faster with the motor i still think its a lifter..
    Did i read right that it ONLY does it when the clutch is in?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Have you ever serviced the tranny?
    With it going faster with the motor i still think its a lifter..
    Did i read right that it ONLY does it when the clutch is in?
    Not ONLY when the clutch is in. It ticks as rpms get higher, but it gets REALLY loud when the clutch is in.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Not ONLY when the clutch is in. It ticks as rpms get higher, but it gets REALLY loud when the clutch is in.
    Record it..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information