Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Hydraulic roller BIG cam owners inside

Looking for big cam guys that stayed hydraulic roller.

What size you have?
    Is there a max?

Thanks!

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

If you want all out performance and are thinking of pushing the limits of the hydraulic roller,,,,,then a solid roller is for you.

With both camshafts being equal,,,a solid roller will always outperform a hydraulic roller.

But with that comes other issues as well,,,,there is the maintainance of lash adjustments,,,,and the valve spring pressure is usually so high they are somewhat not that street friendly in the experiences I have had with them. They fatigue over time with continuous cycles and extreme heat generated. Usually they are reserved for quick bursts for short distances,,,meaning a quarter mile at a time (on the big solid roller springs etc...)

Now that different materials, spring designs, lightweight hardware and such are changing,,,this may be a thing of the past. But something to keep in mind for a car that sees alot of street time.

How large to go with a hydraulic roller??? Thats a tough call in my opinion, talking to a reputable shop or cam manufacture would be my first suggestion. Hydraulic roller lifters are very heavy compared to a solid,,,and there is no way around it. Lightening up the rest of the valvetrain helps.

I use nothing but custom grinds anymore. If you are wanting the best possible combination it's what I suggest. Off the shelf cams are just that,,,designed with a general goal in mind, to satisfy the mainstream.

A custom grind would allow the cam manufacture/shop to tailor your engine to do exactly what you are looking for. Of course other things come into play here as well,,,and you should have a wealth of information on your car. Weight, gear, converter, etc....there is a page of info they will want to know.

I have had a pair of recent custom ground cams in my Chevelle, the first suggested from AFR (since I run their heads) and was a custom grind hydraulic roller from Comp,,,, and the most recent custom grind cam directly from the tech people at Comp. There was alot of difference in the grinds, Comp had there way of doing it,,,and AFR had another.

Lift on one of them was .648 and duration at .050 was 248,,,,rather choppy, nice on the street, and would spin to 6,500 if I wanted. I think I am at the limit though. If I want more out of this motor as far as camshaft is concerned,,,,I think solid roller would be the way to go,,,I don't think I'll see anymore with a hydraulic roller. Just depends on how much you want to put up with.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I am currently running a 248/254 629/622 113 spinning to 6700.

It will be a custom grind. I don't want solid roller. Car sees WAY too much street time to go to that.

Just looking to bump the cam up a little. Little more duration, similiar lift, 111LSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I am currently running a 248/254 629/622 113 spinning to 6700.

It will be a custom grind. I don't want solid roller. Car sees WAY too much street time to go to that.

Just looking to bump the cam up a little. Little more duration, similiar lift, 111LSA.
    I see. We have ran a bigger hydraulic roller than what I listed,,,for a different engine family,,,on a pontiac 455 we recently built for my father. Duration was in the 260 range at .050 and lift was about .650 or so if memory serves,,,a custom ground hydraulic roller from Comp as well.

You could go bigger I'm sure and stay hydraulic,,,but I feel it would be best to talk to your favorite cam manufacture or LS1 engine builder and see what they might have in mind. Like I mentioned they will want to know the intention of the car, and tons of other details.

Hopefully they can come up with something to accomplish what you want,,,cross your fingers....are you looking for an extra tenth or 2????

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Pretty much.
    Won't happen for a while yet, maybe end of summer or so.

Looking to get solidly into the 11's at 5800 feet.
    Maybe I should stick with the cam in there and port the FAST and get better tires.

Pretty much.
    Won't happen for a while yet, maybe end of summer or so.

Looking to get solidly into the 11's at 5800 feet.
    Maybe I should stick with the cam in there and port the FAST and get better tires.
    Sheeesh 5800 feet??? A lower elevation would get you where you want to be without spending any money

I am going to feel that myself very soon,,,as we are moving to Prescott, Arizona,,,,just over 5,000 feet as well. Although I think all the race tracks are down near Phoenix at the moment,,,closer to sea level. It's going to make for a tuning nightmare for me.....making it run good on the street at 5,000 feet and then racing near sea level

It's hard to tell you which way to go,,,,you have a stout car already running at or near 11's at 5,800 feet. It gets harder when you try to nip a half tenth here or there.

Porting the intake and different tires would be easier than a cam swap I would think,,,and maybe less costly as well.
    I know how you feel,,,I always believe there is more in the car and I just haven't found it yet,,,it never stops,,,lol.

You stated in your other thread a couple of cams that you were looking both had the Comp XE-R lobes. Why not build something similar using the LSK lobes. They're MUCH more aggressive and usually offer another ..040" lift over the XE-R stuff. They're basically a solid roller lobe - very aggressive in the .100" and .200" lift area. Some of the local guys with fairly radical street/strip 408-427" builds are starting to use these lobes with very impressive results.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Bandimere is a great track, just 5800 feet up.

11.97 at 117.7 is my best here. Short time was lacking...1.79.
    There is more in it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    You stated in your other thread a couple of cams that you were looking both had the Comp XE-R lobes. Why not build something similar using the LSK lobes. They're MUCH more aggressive and usually offer another ..040" lift over the XE-R stuff. They're basically a solid roller lobe - very aggressive in the .100" and .200" lift area. Some of the local guys with fairly radical street/strip 408-427" builds are starting to use these lobes with very impressive results.
    I will have to do some research.

Bandimere is a great track, just 5800 feet up.

11.97 at 117.7 is my best here. Short time was lacking...1.79.
    There is more in it for sure.

I will have to do some research.
    I see that short time as a way for quicker ET's,,,,with the power you are making,,,that mph for 5,800 feet is good. That MPH would indicate a low 11 second car with a good 60 foot.

Some suspension work/tricks could be worth even just a tenth or more on that 60 foot. That could equate to 11.60's or 70's on the other end.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Kinda what I am thinking as well.
    Stupid M6.

Too much street time to change that though.

Thread Information