Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hows this cam sound?

227/230 .639/.612 114+4 custom grind (LSK/XFI) just wondering what u guyz think of this cam for a street machine lol.. 2000 ss 3600 stall lid ls6 intake lts true duals and a 150 wet kit. need help fast to see if u guys think this cam will rock

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

the lift of .639/.612 is big, more then likely you will have Piston to valve
    clearance issues

since your running 150 spray and (assuming the car is a daily driver) I would suggest something smaller. 224/224 .581/.581 lsa114

remember is not about shoving the biggest cam into your car. Its about using a cam, that compliments your set up and creating a very efficient engine that optimizes power.

again if the car is a daily driver you want a cam that has power under the curve (helps with spray too). for example if you racing on the street and you have a peaky cam that only make power up high, you will lose to the guy that has a smaller cam that makes power under the curve.

if your car is only used on the track, then a big peaking cam would work great.

Also the larger the lsa the smoother sounding the cam in ex: 114 is smoother sounding then 112 or 110. Do you want the cam lopey sound or a smooth almost stock sound for a sleeper set up?

well pred z helped me pick this cam out off the other site.. it does good with valve clearence. he said with the high lsa it would be good and smooth. im just tryin to get some more opinions thanks

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

i suggest that you email Larry at speed inc. www.ls1speed.com
    he will have a perfect grind for your application.
    Also larry is a great guy to deal with!!!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

For nitrous you want more exhaust duration.
    226/234 type cams do well with the bottle.

Although Pred-Z knows his shit.
    But I don't see any reason to run that kinda lift.

see thats y i was asking u guyz because the lift does sound high to me also. but i even showed it to patric g and he said it sounds like a bad ass cam also.. i do race alot and need the most power so mabey thats y.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

My stroker cam doesn't have that kinda lift.
    Depends on application.

Get several opinions from shops/sponsors.

ya think its something new hes been workin with. u know hows they make the wierdest setups but yet they work out realy good. im just worried about the lift but yet the biggest cam gurus both said its good lol.. just gettin some gold double patriot springs

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

It is more in the duration than the lift.
    The lobes that cam is on allow for high lift without clearance issues.

But still....the lift is there. Prepare to replace springs every 15K miles.

man this cam stuff is hard lol cant seem to find the right one for me i race alot so im thinkin about just droppin the ms4 in and i figured the 150 shot will pull it in the lower rpms and get some 373s. the 3600 stall should be ok wish it was alittle bigger. im not worried about the drivability all that much we have a pretty good about amount of awesome tuners around here 'orlando'. car should pull most anything on the street i would think

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

224/230 588/598 113 would be my recommendation. Comp's XE-R lobes.
    Or something near there.
    Would have incredible power throughout.

thanks alot man.. it all sarted off with one of my buddies who has a stealth II and was waxin most everyone now i dont care i just want something with awesome power. he went 11.6 at 116 cam only..this one seems like it would pull alittle harder thanks

NBM
    98 formula

Predator
    recommended that same cam to me,but on a 112. I just dont like the lift of the cam.I have dual springs that can handle it,but still i dont like the idea of swapping every 15kmiles.i have tr224 and want a lille more N/A.I may just stick with it and add dual exhaust for more N/A power or go straight for the spray.I currently put down417rwhp 407rwt in an A4 Heads cam ported fast
    Last edited by john5632; 07-08-2007 at 05:52 AM. Reason: add

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

again that is why I suggested a cam with less lift and smaller size.

if the car is being sprayed you want to make power under the curve and down low.

so many people want cams that our dyno queens but they suck in races.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by getthesand0ut View Post
    227/230 .639/.612 114+4 custom grind (LSK/XFI) just wondering what u guyz think of this cam for a street machine lol.. 2000 ss 3600 stall lid ls6 intake lts true duals and a 150 wet kit. need help fast to see if u guys think this cam will rock
    Well unless you have some great heads that cam is WAY TOO BIG!!

Sorry to inform you or anyone else your stock heads are not flowing shit at .640 lift.

Are you getting this cam used for dirt cheap.....? Or are you just trying to get the most power gain by doing a cam swap?
    Also are you trying to make good et's or are you just trying to get a # on the dyno?
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

hey na its just a cam that he told me to get after i told him my mods . im just tryin to find the perfect cam for my setup and for what i want. my mods are lid 3600 stall true duals ls6 intake cars pretty strong went 12.4 low mph at 109 but its not tuned soo.. and with a 1.8 sixty. i dont care about dyno numbers really. i just want something superstrong. likei said before a buddy of mine with a stealth II is walkin some of my friends with the big ole ms4 cam. i want a bad ass cam for a 150 wet shot. i figure i get out on the guy so hard by the time he peaks i'll already be out plenty far enough so it wont matter and i have the 150hp on hand just incase.. but then again we do alot of role racing just because its easier for were we are located. thats y i was considering the ms4 cam. also im planning on gettin some 373's also..oh by the way i would just want a cam only setup with bottle. thanks

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Call Cam Motion and see if they come up with anything close to that other cam.

www.cammotion.com

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Well unless you have some great heads that cam is WAY TOO BIG!!

Sorry to inform you or anyone else your stock heads are not flowing shit at .640 lift.

Are you getting this cam used for dirt cheap.....? Or are you just trying to get the most power gain by doing a cam swap?
    Also are you trying to make good et's or are you just trying to get a # on the dyno?
    Normally I would agree, but those new lobes take advantage of that lift even wth the stock heads. Just in the valve events.
    Although still....640" lift is simply too much for a car. I felt like I was pushing it with my .629" in the 402. Valvesprings need replaced every 15-20K miles just as a safety precaution. Even the ones rated to .660".

I still think a more even cam would do wonders with the bottle on top of it.
    226/230 598/598 113 'ish'

Ed Curtis would be another guy to get in touch with.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Well anything with a STOCK head I can see NO point in putting that much wear and tear of the .600 plus lift cause the benefit does NOT out way the wear.

Anything that gets driving on the street on a regular basis will get no cam bigger than a .575 lift from me unless money is no object to the customer.
    For a race car yeah on the street NO.
    If you can't make good power with that much lift than I would talk to a new cam grinder.

That's just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I didn't disagree, just added to it a little.
    Kinda.

I know exactly what you are saying, and I agree. Just saying with that cam lobe it works for some.
    It wouldn't for me, too much lift.

Although I should keep my mouth shut...I run a 248/254 629/622 113 on the street. But it also has heads and a forged 402 to go along with it.

Thread Information