Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

How noisy is your valvetrain??????

Quick question... What exactly is the sewing machine noise everyone refers to? I mean I hear my injectors pulsing at idle and I can hear some valves ticking at idle that for the most part go away but they can still be slightly heard when the car is warm, I mean you have to really listen for it though. Is this the sewing machine noise and noisy valvetrain thats supposed to be normal with these engines?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Quick question... What exactly is the sewing machine noise everyone refers to? I mean I hear my injectors pulsing at idle and I can hear some valves ticking at idle that for the most part go away but they can still be slightly heard when the car is warm, I mean you have to really listen for it though. Is this the sewing machine noise and noisy valvetrain thats supposed to be normal with these engines?
    You have described the "sewing machine".

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

will it hurt the cam or anything if the lifters tap a little when its warm or is it harmless.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    will it hurt the cam or anything if the lifters tap a little when its warm or is it harmless.
    Not to my knowledge. I have read in GMHTP that the LSx motors are known for the "sewing machine" noise and they are strong as well.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

well just for kicks heres a couple of sound clips... see if tyou all hear anything harmful on a 100k motor.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yer good. Sounds like my motor.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

ha ya figured. what kinda cam you have in the goat?

Sounds exactly like my 02.

That's why GM started putting plastic engine covers on these things,,,,everything from corvettes to cadillacs and SUV's,,,,to help supress the noise. Give people a quiet comfy ride.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

that tap is most likely due to the preload...so depending on your mods etc..you will get noisy..it is also understood that our engines like less preload ..around .02 ..so it gets a noisy..but yea pushrod length also plays a large role..but overall the lsX family of engines are noisy

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's why GM started putting plastic engine covers on these things,,,,everything from corvettes to cadillacs and SUV's,,,,to help supress the noise. Give people a quiet comfy ride.
    on the ls3s i know they have a plastic molding that clips over the intake manifold to help deaden the sound...its amazing because you cant even tell its on..then on top of that fuel rail covers and etc..gm tries their balls off to quiet down our engines

red
    2002 ss camaro

my 402 with harland sharp rockers makes a ton of noise.
    [/SIGPIC]02 SS LE 402 lQ9 516rwhp 470rwtq.fast 92/92 . 3.73 gears in ten bolt going to fab 9. bmr lca's, tq arm , phb, Bonspeed Deltas 18x9 up front with 18x10 out back.
    VIRGINIASPEED.COM http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/dynamo...eed-402-a.html

98' trans am

whats your preload set at ? what lifters did you use ? and what pushrods are you using

Quote Originally Posted by knappbunch View Post
    my 402 with harland sharp rockers makes a ton of noise.
    Full roller rockers are a tad noisy by nature,,,which is why GM decreased the sensitivity of the knock sensors on the LT4 engines,,,they had full roller rockers from the factory.

But you describe it as a ton of noise,,,that sounds a bit excessive. My wifes LS1 has an aftermarket cam with fully adjustable crane roller rockers, converted to guide plates and screw in studs just like a gen 1 engine.

I get very little valve train noise, you have to have the hood open to hear it. Hood shut and it's gone, inside the car is non existent. Being adjustable the preload has to be set properly. LS1 lifters like .080 to .100 preload.
    I had to setup a dial indicator while adjusting the first couple,,,to get an idea of how many turns it took to reach that preload. I found it was much more than the conventional 1/2 turn on a gen 1 engine. I believe I had to go 1 3/4 turns or so....don't quote me, I suggest a dial indicator to be certain.

red
    2002 ss camaro

I am not sure what preload is I will ask the motorbuilder.

Well zero lash would be adjusting the rocker until all play is removed from the pushrod/lifter.

From there you adjust further,,,as the plunger in the lifter is actually compressed,,,that is preload. LS1 lifters like the plunger to be compressed .080 to .100 of an inch.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well zero lash would be adjusting the rocker until all play is removed from the pushrod/lifter.

From there you adjust further,,,as the plunger in the lifter is actually compressed,,,that is preload. LS1 lifters like the plunger to be compressed .080 to .100 of an inch.
    now i have herd that you will get a consistent gain of 5-9 around a preload of .02...i am anxious to test this for myself ...it gets noisy however..but i do understand that the norm and what is recommended by gm and a majority of engine builders...have you played around with the preload on our GenIIIs?? i know that their vlavetrain is a completely different beast then the genI and IIs in terms of preload and so forth .........

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    now i have herd that you will get a consistent gain of 5-9 around a preload of .02...i am anxious to test this for myself ...it gets noisy however..but i do understand that the norm and what is recommended by gm and a majority of engine builders...have you played around with the preload on our GenIIIs?? i know that their vlavetrain is a completely different beast then the genI and IIs in terms of preload and so forth .........
    No I haven't tried on the Gen III's. I have however played with preload on Gen 1 small and big block chevys. There is a little bit to be had there.

On my wifes Gen III camaro, I just went with the factory preload setting, since it is still using the stock lifters, but has aftermarket, cam, springs, pushrods, adjustable rocker arms, etc....I would at some point like to experiment with it though.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Just an update I got the motor back together after installing new lifters as I suspected I may have had a bad head gasket. The tick is still present lol same as before and all rockers were torqued to 22-25lbs. Im going with piston slap of some sort at this point as all rockers and pushrods checked out fine. Thanks for the replies just making sure it was normal.

silver
    2006 gto

im glad about this thread. im having the same noise, especially after the heads and cam install. it got noisier after a couple of months. i had someone check it and they said thats how they sound. how can you tell the dfferance between rocker noise and pistion slap?

Thread Information