Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

How Much Power, for b00m?

hey guys, I was just wondering, how much power can a Aluminum Block LS1 hold... stock, and with Forged Internals?

I ask this, because I wouldn't wanna add the weight of an Iron block, if I don't need it...

I'm looking for something in the area of close to 800whp when I'm done with the car... it's gonna be basicly a Track car... that's "Street legal"...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

800 whp track car? Ide go iron block

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

but what would be the breaking point of Aluminum if I did it witht he stock block?

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

it just depends on your application. S/C, how much N20 if you use it. Who no iron? i have one and love it. I went with a BMR tub k-member and upper/lower a-arms. That drops about 55LBS off of the front end. If you relocate the batt as well your right back where you started with the alum block. If it is a track car you can also delete A/C, power steering, ABS, etc. which will give you even more weight reduction

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

go aluminum..these blocks are strong as hell ..the issue you will need to address is warping due to heat...but if your cooling system is up to the task then i see no reason to go iron block...unless your stroking..and also iron is much stronger then aluminum and you can fix a iron block..really hard to fix a aluminum block

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Street Strip car, I'll probably get a Procharger and run around 12psi... eventually...

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

and I don't plan on stroking... leaving it at with 347ci forged internals

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

My buddy car has 425 hp and runs 10.9ss with right suspension don't need 800 to run fast so street/strip if u had 600 you probly dominat and horsepower cost money lots of it

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

thing is around here... you ain't really runnin... unless you have 500+whp... I know it kinda sounds stupid... but the leage I wanna be in... is the big money... big power leage... who do it in the streets and in the strip... usually start from the low 11's down

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Yea but it would be nice with 600 whp and a weight reduction car with proper suspension to hit in the 9s do what you want I was going to build a twin turbo 03 cobra but sold the car I know what you mean when you want to run with the big guys it's just fun haveing stuip amount of power. It gets me going

12 psi with a procharger on a stock stroke (346 cubed motor) Won't get you anywhere close to 800 RWHP!!!

But,,,11 second car is pretty easy to reach, depending on the weight of the car you could do that with roughly 400 rwhp or even less. Too many variables with dyno's and such to nail down an exact number but you get the idea.
    I've found that running bottom 11's in a street car pretty much covers anything you may encounter on the street and has been fast enough to satisfy me. There are some much quicker cars out there,,,but in my experiences the chances of actually running into a quicker car out on the street is very slim to none. Chances are better on the weekends when the weather is nice,,,but cars that quick just aren't falling off trees and aren't driven all that often.
    So quite frankly,,,I just don't worry about it. There is always something faster anyway no matter what you do. A solid 11 second car is fun and fast enough to get you in trouble,,,,and would cover 90% of any stop light action.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

I know about 6-10 guys all of them, with 450+whp... starting from Turbo/SC Mustangs, to All motor Z06's and the one, who left me drooling I'm sorry to say this but... Twin Turbo Viper, that blew by me as he let me floor it ahead of him... by 100mph he had passed me as if I was hitting the brakes!!!!... it's all a big racing crew... part of the biggest Car Forum here in PR... Carrito.net ... all the fastest cars street or almost are from the 9's and up... to about 11's ...

don't get me wrong... my car right now is enought to take on... most of the kids that gather to race... but it's just that... racing Kids in their Honda's and stuff... it just doesn't do it for me anymore... hehehe

Stock
    2002 Camaro

so then you should do a stroker with a power adder. that would be a very safe 800HP depending on you set-up. most of the 402/408 strokers on here are pulling 500+RWHP N/A. Its also about the same price as a blower. i paid about $5600 for my stroker. that didnt include install (which i did myself), but a S/C would be around the same price.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    thing is around here... you ain't really runnin... unless you have 500+whp... I know it kinda sounds stupid... but the leage I wanna be in... is the big money... big power leage... who do it in the streets and in the strip... usually start from the low 11's down
    Also, HP doesnt matter if you cant get it to the ground

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I've seen someone use a LQ9 iron block and a 300 shot if I remember right. If the LQ9 is built then i don't see a problem hitting 500rwhp naturally aspirated, then the 300 shot would put you around 800rwhp.

I wouldn't mind that at all myself. 500rwhp alone can take down almost anything around here, the 300 shot would be incase of emergency lol

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    I know about 6-10 guys all of them, with 450+whp... starting from Turbo/SC Mustangs, to All motor Z06's and the one, who left me drooling I'm sorry to say this but... Twin Turbo Viper, that blew by me as he let me floor it ahead of him... by 100mph he had passed me as if I was hitting the brakes!!!!... it's all a big racing crew... part of the biggest Car Forum here in PR... Carrito.net ... all the fastest cars street or almost are from the 9's and up... to about 11's ...

don't get me wrong... my car right now is enought to take on... most of the kids that gather to race... but it's just that... racing Kids in their Honda's and stuff... it just doesn't do it for me anymore... hehehe
    i think what people are trying to say is hp does not = time.....so i wouldnt shoot to match those people's hp numbers ..but shoot for their times..you can bang out on a 10.9 or 11 with a solid 480+ with a killer suspension...your E/t is more directly effected by the first 60' then the rest of the quarter..cut a bad ass 60 and you'll take most of those higher hp guys..now on the highway though..from higher rolls..there is no sub for big numbers

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    12 psi with a procharger on a stock stroke (346 cubed motor) Won't get you anywhere close to 800 RWHP!!!

But,,,11 second car is pretty easy to reach, depending on the weight of the car you could do that with roughly 400 rwhp or even less. Too many variables with dyno's and such to nail down an exact number but you get the idea.
    I've found that running bottom 11's in a street car pretty much covers anything you may encounter on the street and has been fast enough to satisfy me. There are some much quicker cars out there,,,but in my experiences the chances of actually running into a quicker car out on the street is very slim to none. Chances are better on the weekends when the weather is nice,,,but cars that quick just aren't falling off trees and aren't driven all that often.
    So quite frankly,,,I just don't worry about it. There is always something faster anyway no matter what you do. A solid 11 second car is fun and fast enough to get you in trouble,,,,and would cover 90% of any stop light action.
    I am with you. I dont really need my street car to be much faster than an 11.0 So I dont really have plans to make it much quicker than that. Plus when you crack 10's you have to worry about the car loosing traction at higher speeds, which would suck donkey balls.

white
    2000 Z28

you mention adding the weight of an iron block. just to let you know the lq9 is about 80 lbs heavier than the ls1. with way more room for upping the power, seeing as how it can be bored and all and more than likely would be a fresh block.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Griner View Post
    I am with you. I dont really need my street car to be much faster than an 11.0 So I dont really have plans to make it much quicker than that. Plus when you crack 10's you have to worry about the car loosing traction at higher speeds, which would suck donkey balls.
    Thats why i am a all motor stroker kinda guy. Later down the raod if i want to go faster, my stroker has plenty of ways to push out that extra 600HP.........

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    you mention adding the weight of an iron block. just to let you know the lq9 is about 80 lbs heavier than the ls1. with way more room for upping the power, seeing as how it can be bored and all and more than likely would be a fresh block.
    I've removed 55-60lbs by switching to a tub k-member and a-arms. Plus if you move your batt. your back to where you were. no problem

Thread Information