Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

how much hp can stock rods hold

This is a discussion on how much hp can stock rods hold within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by manyponies Well Said As a machine shop owner and parts reseller, I make more money installing new ...

Quote Originally Posted by manyponies View Post
    Well Said

As a machine shop owner and parts reseller, I make more money installing new bolts and resizing rods than the mark-up on selling new rods, However a better end product is what we are after. Dollar spent to value recieved, new are rods are much better.
    Thanks, I've been fortunate enough to work in and around some of the best machinest in the business. It isn't something that I recommend cutting corners on in any aspect of the build. If I can't spend the money to do it right, I'd rather leave it sit in the corner until funds allow.

When you said a better end product is what you are after,,,that's absolutely good business practice, especially considering what some customers put these engines through.
    Good machine shops aren't necessarily trying to make more money on the more expensive parts, but more so trying to protect their reputation with good quality builds that last. It's what brings customers back.

I've seen too many times to mention,,,customers that cut corners and cheap out on parts, only to have a catastrophic failure 2-3 months down the road. The first to blame is the machine shop unfortunately.
    Word of advice to those considering a cheap build??? Don't be one of those guys,,,,do it right the first time.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-22-2009 at 10:12 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by scubamark3995 View Post
    I started out with cam and heads. Then the machine shop said the pistons are the real weak link so I said let`s replace them. Then they said that the rod bolts would have to be replaced. I said ok. Then they said for a little bit more I could get new rods. Made sense. I agreed. Then they said for $1000 more I can get a new crank and stroked out at the same time. Now I have a 383, comp cam 239/247 .624 114. Trick flow heads. Fast 92 tb and intake and an empty wallet. Since it is going in a 280z, I will have to get headers custom made $1650. Can I stop there please. No. Now I will more than likely not be able to hook up lik I did with the 420hp 350 I had. $$$$$
    Getting the power to the ground should be the first thing you should worry about, not making HP you can't plant to the ground..IMO.
    It's on jackstands.

1978 280z- ls1-v8

I guess I could sell the motor and buy better tires and rims.

I guess I could sell the motor and buy better tires and rims.
    You already have the hard and most expensive part done.

Hooking the car is cheap and easy.

1978 280z- ls1-v8

That`s the way I look at it. I am only going to do what I have to to get it to hook up. Not one penny more. With the current set up I was getting 1.68-60' times. I may have to flare the fenders and go with a wider tire and rim. Till then I will just feather it off the line. Once I get it rolling I should be able to put it to the floor. Right now I am waitng for the header guy to call and tell me he is ready for my car. I was running mid 11`s. I hope to get mid 10`s but not expecting more than a 10.75. But I did have the rings gapped for a 200hp shot of nitrous.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That`s the way I look at it. I am only going to do what I have to to get it to hook up. Not one penny more. With the current set up I was getting 1.68-60' times. I may have to flare the fenders and go with a wider tire and rim. Till then I will just feather it off the line. Once I get it rolling I should be able to put it to the floor. Right now I am waitng for the header guy to call and tell me he is ready for my car. I was running mid 11`s. I hope to get mid 10`s but not expecting more than a 10.75. But I did have the rings gapped for a 200hp shot of nitrous.
    That seems like a respectable 60' time to me. What are you targeting? And holy sh!t those are some expensive headers. They will be SWEEEET though.

http://tierussianwoman.w-
    D.statt

how much hp can stock rods hold

Cool...

Any idea of cost?

I would go with half bridge etc, but tbh its a bit over kill for stock twins.

So a nice large streetport would do the job.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

I didn't understand any of that

1978 280z- ls1-v8

I am hoping to get atleast .10 better on the 60' mark. I have independent rear suspension and The was shuttering pretty bad on take off. I think it was the diff raising up. I installed an upper nose mount and haven`t noticed it anymore. But at the same time I went from a 3.90 gear to a 3.70. I was floating my valves at the finish. This new setup is going to have a much better flowing exhaust system on it. If the other motor had as good it would have done a bit better. 11.30`s or 11.40`s.

SOM
    2002 SS

In an issue gmhtp or corvette fever there is a c5 running stock rods with upgraded bolts and hes going 9s @ over 138 or something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information