Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

how much hp can stock rods hold

like the title says, i am curious to know this because i have a long term goal of building a near bulletproof motor inspired by the "finance-friendly built" in GMHTP magazine. Starting with an LQ9 block I am looking to reuse parts that will be worth using seeing as how money is always an inhibitor. I searched the threads and there is no answer on the rods capabilities.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

I think they are pretty safe toooo 450ish...

really have no idea but i could of sworn i read that before, them being the weakest link...mabey

yeah hope some1 will chime in soon...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    like the title says, i am curious to know this because i have a long term goal of building a near bulletproof motor inspired by the "finance-friendly built" in GMHTP magazine. Starting with an LQ9 block I am looking to reuse parts that will be worth using seeing as how money is always an inhibitor. I searched the threads and there is no answer on the rods capabilities.
    the connecting rods them self are fine and very very strong...its the connecting rod bolts that are the weak link..replace them with some ARP rod bolts and you will be set

98' trans am

most of the time changing rods are done for weight savings.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

ohhhh the BOLTS...i get it. so how strong is very very strong lol?

Does that me something eles will give before they do...

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Yeah this a long term goal so I'm not going to skimp on parts like bolt,bearing,and gaskets. I just want to reuse what will hold up to about 600 hp for a stroker 408. Thanks for the info

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I have read out of my LS1 performance book that they are great rods and can handle pretty much 800hp out of them. If I was going THAT extreme I would probably change them but for 600hp I would just re-use them bitches.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

red
    1998 Z28

i have heard rumors of the ls1's stock bottom end being able to hold around 1000hp these r just rumors that i have heard nothing written in stone. but if u look at the texas speed drag car they currently r holding a world record for running 9.8 in the quarter on a stock ls1 bottom end so i would think that the rods can deffinitly hold 600 ponies safely

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by AB'sLs1 View Post
    i have heard rumors of the ls1's stock bottom end being able to hold around 1000hp these r just rumors that i have heard nothing written in stone. but if u look at the texas speed drag car they currently r holding a world record for running 9.8 in the quarter on a stock ls1 bottom end so i would think that the rods can deffinitly hold 600 ponies safely
    well that is not the norm and gm as do almost all builders recognize the connecting rod bolts being the "weak" link at only holding around 450rwhp

Rods will hold alot of power its the rpm that you have to be concerned with. Power puts a rod under a compressive load, the rod will not crush. Higher rpm puts the rod under a tensile or stretching load. The piston has nothing to change its direction across TDC on the exhaust stroke other than the rod. Its like throwing a yo-yo harder and harder until the string breaks. If you make alot of power at a lower rpm you have less worries than low power and high rpm. Most companies rate their rods for a certian hp, its not the right way because they assume you are going to turn a reasonable rpm to do it. We should not make assumptions.
    Mark McKeown
    McKeown Motorsport Engineering, Inc.
    http://www.mmeracing.com
    http://www.racecrateengines.com

http://russian-brides-bes
    insorned73

how much hp can stock rods hold

Every body know social media is the vast way to get visitor.
    You can direct promote your service. My question is how much visitor we can get from social networking sites

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

What?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by insorned73 View Post
    Every body know social media is the vast way to get visitor.
    You can direct promote your service. My question is how much visitor we can get from social networking sites
    wtf.........

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I think this post is very clear. Obviously using social networking increases the strength of stock rods allowing them to achieve RPM's much higher than normally possible.... I mean that's gotta be what he meant....

Or it's spam.

For my opinion? No point in cheaping out when doing a build from scratch. the last thing you need is to have "good enough" when you still have invested thousands in this machine. It only takes one rod snapping to ruin your day and your wallet. Could a high performance rod snap? Sure. But even then it's insurance that the possibility of finding out what it sounds/looks like when a piston flies through your hood is reduced that much more. If you are employed then the difference in the short run is one of time. You may need to save a little bit longer before you can finish your 600hp bulletproof build.

I wouldn't even bother reusing the stock rods on a high HP build. Especially the stock LS rods,,,they are just powdered metal rods with snap caps. They aren't the best factory rod GM has produced.

Installing ARP bolts is a good idea,,,,but to do that properly you need to resize the rods anyway, especially with these snap caps. That's an added expense that could be put towards a better rod in the first place.

After buying bolts and resizing,,,,you are almost at the cost of a decent set of aftermarket rods that are not only lighter, but much stronger. There are many out there to shop from, and have become rather inexpensive over the last few years.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

On any build were you even have ask the horsepower limits of stock rods, you should probably upgrade. Zero reason to skimp out on that piece.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Glad to see i'm not alone in this line of thought. If you are starting off on a fresh block no sense in hoping a used OEM part will hold up and protect your time and money investment.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

All are great points and I really appreciate all POVs. I have been doing more and more research and I think I'm going to do this build with whatever budget parts I can get be they OEM or aftermarket. I know almost all LS parts are interchangable (and I know the exceptions) so a great cost effective build with gm parts will not only yeild great power but also reliability. Of course there is always the aftermarket exception of parts that are better at a better price. My intension for this build is reliability at a budget not "spare no expense" engine building. I do have to agree on the using better rods though.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I wouldn't even bother reusing the stock rods on a high HP build. Especially the stock LS rods,,,they are just powdered metal rods with snap caps. They aren't the best factory rod GM has produced.

Installing ARP bolts is a good idea,,,,but to do that properly you need to resize the rods anyway, especially with these snap caps. That's an added expense that could be put towards a better rod in the first place.

After buying bolts and resizing,,,,you are almost at the cost of a decent set of aftermarket rods that are not only lighter, but much stronger. There are many out there to shop from, and have become rather inexpensive over the last few years.
    Well Said

As a machine shop owner and parts reseller, I make more money installing new bolts and resizing rods than the mark-up on selling new rods, However a better end product is what we are after. Dollar spent to value recieved, new are rods are much better.

1978 280z- ls1-v8

I started out with cam and heads. Then the machine shop said the pistons are the real weak link so I said let`s replace them. Then they said that the rod bolts would have to be replaced. I said ok. Then they said for a little bit more I could get new rods. Made sense. I agreed. Then they said for $1000 more I can get a new crank and stroked out at the same time. Now I have a 383, comp cam 239/247 .624 114. Trick flow heads. Fast 92 tb and intake and an empty wallet. Since it is going in a 280z, I will have to get headers custom made $1650. Can I stop there please. No. Now I will more than likely not be able to hook up lik I did with the 420hp 350 I had. $$$$$

Thread Information