Thread: How Much?

Red
    2002 Camaro Z-28 M6

How Much?

Does anyone have any idea how much horsepower a stock LS1 block will hold before it becomes a boat anchor(i.e. cracks)?

Red
    2002 Camaro Z-28 M6

no one knows this? come on some one has to know!! is it worth trying to build an 800hp stock block LS1 based motor? does anyone think it will hold it?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by blacksunshine427 View Post
    no one knows this? come on some one has to know!! is it worth trying to build an 800hp stock block LS1 based motor? does anyone think it will hold it?
    I think the short answer to that question is: probably not.

I guess alot depends on how much power you're going to throw at the stock block and precisely where it's coming from. If you decide to go with forced induction, 8# of boost is typically a benchmarked limit for the stock internals. I'm sure you could crank up the boost even higher, however you would likely begin to encounter more problems.

Hitting 800 rwhp is going to be VERY tough (maybe some of the others with extreme builds can chime in on this one). Getting a car to read 680 - 700 rwhp on a dyno (which would be in the ballpark of 800 hp at the crank) may be possible with an aggressive build (heads, cam, intake, supporting mods) and a big shot of N20.

At the end of the day, I guess a lot depends on precisely what you want to accomplish and how you want to get there.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z-28 M6

well i'm trying to decide wether or not it is worth the time or effort to build a motor based on my current block or should i purchase a DART or other aftermarket piece? i was just wondering if it is possible to do it on the stock piece with out it cracking in a hundred diff places. a stock Ford 302 block is good up to about 600 horses before you get webbing cracks, oil galley cracks, etc. i am new to this Chevrolet game. just thought someone might have a ball park on how much power a stock block would take. i am wanting to do a stroker build with a turbo. thanks for the input.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Would be ALOT cheaper and just as reliable 4.8/5.3/5.7/6.0/6.2. you can get a 5.3 for $450. stock form good for 600+rwhp. put in some pistons, rods and studs and they are good for 800-1000rwhp

Red
    2002 Camaro Z-28 M6

a 5.3? sorry i'm new to chevy world.
    Red '02 Camaro Z-28
    Black '06 H.D. Streetglide
    Vibrant Blue '07 Dodge Hemi Crew Cab

Black
    1991 GMC Syclone

5.3 is a truck motor but i believe they are aluminum (not sure). if your not as worried about weight and are on a budget go with the iron block 6.0 Lq4/lq9. The block can be bought brand new for around $700, and they are much much stronger than the aluminum ls1/ls2 block.

remember that a 400hp block can crack if you have a lot of detination caused by running lean (bad tune). The tune can make or break it. also depends on if your running nitrous, turbo, supercharger, etc cause some of those make a much harder hit which is rougher on parts.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z-28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone354 View Post
    5.3 is a truck motor but i believe they are aluminum (not sure). if your not as worried about weight and are on a budget go with the iron block 6.0 Lq4/lq9. The block can be bought brand new for around $700, and they are much much stronger than the aluminum ls1/ls2 block.

remember that a 400hp block can crack if you have a lot of detination caused by running lean (bad tune). The tune can make or break it. also depends on if your running nitrous, turbo, supercharger, etc cause some of those make a much harder hit which is rougher on parts.
    yeah i understand all that too! i want the weight savings as well as strength. just wasn't sure if anyone has ever built a high hp stock block motor. yeah i was thinking about the 6.0! will all my accessories bolt up to that? and will i have to change a bunch of stuff? like motor mounts do to increased deck heighth or anything?
    Last edited by blacksunshine427; 03-12-2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar

There are numerous examples of guys running a LS1/LS6/LS2 aluminum block well past 800+rwhp, and some have even hit 1000+rwhp without problems. The block and crank (yes, stock crank) will take almost anything you throw at them, the rods and pistons will need to be addressed though!

Red
    2002 Camaro Z-28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    There are numerous examples of guys running a LS1/LS6/LS2 aluminum block well past 800+rwhp, and some have even hit 1000+rwhp without problems. The block and crank (yes, stock crank) will take almost anything you throw at them, the rods and pistons will need to be addressed though!
    thanks man thats what i was wanting to know. the stock crank is forged?

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone354 View Post

some 5.3's were iron and some were aluminum but mostly iron in the trucks. i'm pretty sure the ssr got the aluminum 5.3. the lm7 is iron lm4 aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by blacksunshine427 View Post
    thanks man thats what i was wanting to know. the stock crank is forged?
    No. It's a nodular iron crank. It has lots of nice little features though that make it a good piece, like filet rolled journals. I have never seen or even heard of a stock crank failing - they're extremely strong! Again, like the aluminum blocks, people have pushed them into the 1000HP+/8 second area without trouble.

Point is, the LS1 block and crank will take almost anything you throw at it. Sure an iron block and forged crank are nice, but really necessary until you're pushing A LOT of nitrous or boost in a 7000RPM+ application. And even then it's debatable.

Thread Information