Navy Blue Metallic
    '02 Trans Am WS6

How long will it hold up?

How much can the stock bottom end, tranny, driveshaft and rear end handle?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

alot has to do with your driving style.
    general rule of thumb is that when you have around 400 rwhp thats when shit starts breaking
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Navy Blue Metallic
    '02 Trans Am WS6

I drive it pretty hard most of the time and probably too hard when I gotta maintain my ego by stomping a ricer. I should have mentioned it's a 6-Speed.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

The drivetrain should hold up fairly well as long as you stay away from sticky tires, though anything can happen. However, as long as you are spinning the tires you are not putting to much torque against the system. It also strongly depends on what you have done and how you drive.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

rearend or clutch will be the first thing to go. Pushrods will be next if you miss a shift. Bottom end is a pretty stout piece and can take some abuse as long as you maintain the car. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone breaking a driveshaft at stock power levels. I've seen them twisted off in way more than stock levels though.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

go with a moser 12 bolt with 3.90 gears and chromoly pushrods, great mods that will give lots of piece of mind.
    2000 auto camaro
    13.54 @ 104 2.049 60' stock 2.73

12.94 @ 109 2.002 60' full exhaust, lid, tune, nitto 555r 2.73

11.899 @ 114.44 1.686 60' full exhaust, lid, tune, nitto 245/50-16 555r 3.73 moser 12-bolt 2800 fuddle, ls6 intake manifold, slp under drive pully,fiberglass hood, bmr k-member

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

broke torque arm

im factory right now, and i snapped my torque arm the other day. auto trans, does anybody have a good suggestion for a aftermarket replacement, i wanna add a bit more power later, also im gonna need to rebuild my trans soon, any suggestions for a trans rebuild kit? ive been lookin at tci for the kit, but if there is anything better and/or less expensive please let me know.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '02 Trans Am WS6

I've got plans for a Moser 9" and a new t-56 from T-56 Rebuilds. I was just curious how much power I can put through the stock stuff without breaking it. I'll probably end up replacing the rearend and the clutch before I change out the heads and cam. I'll just have to pray that the tranny holds on for dear life

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by KiD WiCKeD View Post
    I've got plans for a Moser 9" and a new t-56 from T-56 Rebuilds. I was just curious how much power I can put through the stock stuff without breaking it. I'll probably end up replacing the rearend and the clutch before I change out the heads and cam. I'll just have to pray that the tranny holds on for dear life
    The stock T56 is a fairly stout tranny. Should hold up fine, now the clutch is a different story. SixSpeedInc aka T56 Rebuilds is a great company and they should set you on the right track.

Even a stock car can break things if you have sticky tires on the back, it seems to be a matter of luck and how you drive that really determines the life span for the drivetrain.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '02 Trans Am WS6

Right now the tires I have are kinda crappy. Soon as I burn the tread off em i'm gonna go with BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2's. I'm not sure how sticky you consider those since they're not a drag tire.

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

all depends on how u drive. rearend will be one of the first things to go, then your clutch, then transmission, IMO. upgrade those first before you start puttin 400+ rwhp through them.

and what bottesini said about staying away from sticky tires if you want your rearend to last.

and stay OFF of your rev limiter if you want your pushrods to last!!

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Loudz28 View Post
    all depends on how u drive. rearend will be one of the first things to go, then your clutch, then transmission, IMO. upgrade those first before you start puttin 400+ rwhp through them.

and what bottesini said about staying away from sticky tires if you want your rearend to last.

and stay OFF of your rev limiter if you want your pushrods to last!!
    Haha u made me laugh a little bit, definitely stay away from miss shifts and rev limiter. My mistake was a 2-3-2 shift and heres the results. Bent 7 out of 16 pushrods, shattered 2nd gear and then needed new bearings. Had sixspeedsinc rebuild the tranny. Then had bent valves and needed to replace them as well. STAY AWAY FROM THE MISS SHIFT, I had clutch problems that caused my miss shift just so i dont get more crap about learning how to drive.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '02 Trans Am WS6

The pushrods and rockers are gonna be replaced very shortly. My main concerns are the crank and rods, tranny, and rear end. I wanna upgrade my heads,cam, and intake, but I need to know whats gonna break if I do so I can replace it before I put the stuff on.

red
    1998 camaro z28

well if your gonna do a H/C make sure u upgrade your valve train while ur tearing into it prevent more things from happening. Your 10 bolt is like a lollipop u just never know, get that H/C swap finished and some sticky tires and some hard launches and ur askin for trouble with the rear. Crank and rods should be just fine, tranny should be as well as long as u dont miss shift like i said earlier

Navy Blue Metallic
    '02 Trans Am WS6

Its gonna get a whole new Valvetrain. Stainless valves, dual springs. the works. Might aswell while i'm settin a brand new CNC'd head on there.

red
    1998 camaro z28

Sounds like a nice set up man let us know how it goes when ur finished

Navy Blue Metallic
    '02 Trans Am WS6

I sure hope it turns out as good as I think it will. Soon as I get back from Iraq its getting about 15 grand thrown down on it. I'll be documenting all the upgrades so you guys will definately be kept up to speed on how its going. Goal is to have a show car/street legal race car/daily driver.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KiD WiCKeD View Post
    I sure hope it turns out as good as I think it will. Soon as I get back from Iraq its getting about 15 grand thrown down on it. I'll be documenting all the upgrades so you guys will definately be kept up to speed on how its going. Goal is to have a show car/street legal race car/daily driver.
    good luck to you sir, hope you have a safe trip back, let me know as soon as you do your upgrades, i want to do some to my car aswell.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Stock rods- 500hp to 550 Crank 550hp-600hp Rear end- 4, 5 grand launchs
    All info from LS1/LS6 performance book at borders books by Chris R. Myers

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

good luck just back from my third trip to iraq. that deployment money goes into the car quite nicely. I am looking at a moser rearend. with 373 i have a few boltons but want to bild it strong before i get into serious mods.

Thread Information