Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

how long to swap a cam?

just for fun here...

how long does it take the average joe to do a cam swap in an LS1 F-body? im talkin start to finish. cam and springs, no heads, no tune

im trying to set a goal for myself as i will be doing a cam swap this weekend in my own TA however i do have mechanical skills with air compressors

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

the key is to be properly prepared. dont forget the little stuff like engine assembly lube and tools that you might need. you dont want to be going to the store every 10 minutes. Also dont rely on a vendors word on when your parts will be there. If you are properly prepared and have all tools and parts that you need, I dont see why you could not get it done in a weekend without any problems. How do plan on keeping the lifters in place? Dont forget about the oil pump, timing chain, water pump gaskets, front cover gasket, front cover seal. You should upgrade your rockers with the comp trunion kit as well as hardened pushrods. Maybe a new UD pulley/with belts if its in the budget. let me know if you have any more questions.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Well if you're doing the minimum, cam/springs, and you have the minimum required specialized tools, pulley tool/spring tool/cylinder pressurization adapter/lifter holders, it shouldn't take you more than a few hours. I can usually finish in about 3-4 hrs max; but I've done it a bunch of times.

You'll need a new pulley bolt. At the minimum, get the hardened pushrods too. And while you're in there, many replace oil pump with a high flow/ported one and timing chain since the pulley will be off and it's good insurance. You can re-use all the seals in a ls1 unless one of them tears, cos they're designed for that. You could upgrade the rockers with the trunion upgrade kit but most cars are fine unless it's some crazy cam and you've got high miles. We've had cars in the 9's with stock replacement lifters and rockers if you're not going all out crazy like that (some may frown on this) you should be fine unless you want that extra bit of assurance.
    I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

My Cardomain Site My Fquick site Custom Installs

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 View Post
    Well if you're doing the minimum, cam/springs, and you have the minimum required specialized tools, pulley tool/spring tool/cylinder pressurization adapter/lifter holders, it shouldn't take you more than a few hours. I can usually finish in about 3-4 hrs max; but I've done it a bunch of times.

You'll need a new pulley bolt. At the minimum, get the hardened pushrods too. And while you're in there, many replace oil pump with a high flow/ported one and timing chain since the pulley will be off and it's good insurance. You can re-use all the seals in a ls1 unless one of them tears, cos they're designed for that. You could upgrade the rockers with the trunion upgrade kit but most cars are fine unless it's some crazy cam and you've got high miles. We've had cars in the 9's with stock replacement lifters and rockers if you're not going all out crazy like that (some may frown on this) you should be fine unless you want that extra bit of assurance.
    dam thats fast (3hrs) lol....some shops i know that are mostly LS base take 10hrs for just a cam swap nothing else

PS- i need my cam swaped in my 408...ill time you?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I'd say you could do it in a weekend if you really put forth the effort.

Don't forget to get dowels to hold the lifters up, you don't want to be dropping those when you pull the cam out.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

alright so i do have everything i need to do the swap, i made sure of that before the install, all new gaskets for the most part, ported oil pump and my timing set, pushrods, vavle seals and spring bases all showed up today. my goal is to swap springs and strip the frotn of the motor friday night after work, with the help of a friend who has the spring tools. saturday morning ill pull the cam out, slide new in and put it back together. sunday will be tuning day!

the only questiong im really asking would be what size dowels to get? home depot or lowes? that is my only consern.

thanks for the advice even tho i wasnt looking for a whole lot of it. i do enough valve springs at work just not on any LS1s all Lexus

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

The trunion kit for the rockers is very simple to do and really a great mod for the stock rockers. Not an absolute must, but if you start finding needle bearings in your oil you will not be happy.......

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

yeah that was on the list but i figured that i could find a set of stock rockers cheap and upgrade them so i can still drive the car

red
    2000TA

ls1howto.com .for some good instructions.do the cam swap one weekend ,do the rockers later.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Should take about 4-5 hours if you know what your doing. Might as well replace all the stock parts (timing chain, oil pump, pulley etc...) like mentioned since they all have to come off. Plus, its added security every time you nail the throttle. If the car is not your DD, I would recomend you to change the lifters while your at it.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro z28

working with a buddy who knows what he was doing it took about 10 hours with breaks for lunch and dinner and runs to autozone

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Should take about 4-5 hours if you know what your doing. Might as well replace all the stock parts (timing chain, oil pump, pulley etc...) like mentioned since they all have to come off. Plus, its added security every time you nail the throttle. If the car is not your DD, I would recomend you to change the lifters while your at it.
    Unfortunately changing lifters isn't as easy on the LS1 since the heads have to come off.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 View Post
    Unfortunately changing lifters isn't as easy on the LS1 since the heads have to come off.
    Your right. I was getting confused with springs.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Talking

well i finished up the swap last night. took roughly 8 hours total time to do it by myself, with a friend to help with the springs only. replaced everything except rockers. even had a rocker arm bolt round off on me which costed me some time. i think i made 3 runs to advanced auto for locktight, stud kit and more coolant. oh and a trip to home depot for some custom lifter rods! lol 5/16th thick for about 80 cents

lifters i will replace when i do heads

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by doublea87 View Post
    well i finished up the swap last night. took roughly 8 hours total time to do it by myself, with a friend to help with the springs only. replaced everything except rockers. even had a rocker arm bolt round off on me which costed me some time. i think i made 3 runs to advanced auto for locktight, stud kit and more coolant. oh and a trip to home depot for some custom lifter rods! lol 5/16th thick for about 80 cents

lifters i will replace when i do heads
    Good to hear man!

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

thanks man!

it deffinatly feels like a whole different car now AFTER the tuning we did today! holy crap does that make a difference!

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I did my cam swap in 4 hours with a few trips to the store and a few food breaks lol.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

nice! ones you do a few i guess its easily possible to achieve that

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

well here it is alittle late and dark, crappy sound but i got a video of the 1st idol!
    taken from my cellular telephone and it was like 9 a tnight already.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTJHMFpYGVY[/ame]

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Must be nice to have it done, I know it's a nice feeling to be done and everything goes right.

Thread Information