Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Question how to get crankshaft pulley bolt off?

Hey Guys,
    in the middle
    of a cam install and I am having a difficult time getting the pulley bolt off. I used a 24 mm socket with a 1/2 drive breaker bar AND put a 2 foot metal pole on the end and I still can't get it to budge. It started to turn a little bit, but things were mkaing noise from the tranny area and I thought the bolt or something was stripping.

The bolt looked fine and I put the car in 4th with the parking brake. Not sure what else I can do, I hear there is a tool to remove it. Any suggestions for places that rent it or should I just give it another go with the metal pole? I don't want to break anything causing costly damage. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Black
    2001 Formula

If its moving when you put it 4th. Try taking off the starter and put a screw driver in the flywheel to hold it down. I had to do it that way since im a auto. Your just going to have to give that bolt hell. I took the handle off my jack and slipped it over the breaker bar to get mine free.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

That's what I did... So u think more elbow grease will work, I have an M6 so I didn't use a toil to stoP the fly wheel...

Silver
    TT C5

I think you can rent the crank pulley remover from autozone. Also some people out locktight on it when they install it so might have to get something with a long arm on it for leverage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post
    That's what I did... So u think more elbow grease will work, I have an M6 so I didn't use a toil to stoP the fly wheel...
    Yes, that's all you need if you have it in gear. I used a breaker bar with a 4' pipe over it, and had a buddy help me push/turn it. It is seriously torqued on there from the factory.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

can you get an impact gun on the bolt? ive used that once when the motor was out of thecar other times just a breaker bar worked fine

Black
    1998 Pontiac Formula LS6

You really need that flywheel holding tool to remove the crank bolt. It's torqued on with unbelievable tightness. I had to hold on to the frame of the car and loosen the bolt with my feet on a breaker bar. I'm 57 yo and if I can do it you young guys can do it.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

so is it the fly wheel that is turning even though it is in gear? that would be a pain b/c I would have to drop the starter. I let some PB blaster soak over night. I tried an impact gun, but my compressor is small and doesn't put out much torque. The bolt has never been removed and I am the first owner of the car so pretty sure there is no locktite on their unless from factory. I will keep trying, maybe with a longer pipe.

Heat it, the head of bolt that is with a propane torch till it's hot, that will release the loctite.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

I heard heating it could cause damage to the internal bearings ect? Maybe just for a few seconds?

Till it's hot! The bearing is a long way's away. If you don't get it hot the loctite won't release.

You are also using a small propane torch....not welding equipment right?

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Alright well looks like the PB blaster soaking over night worked because the bolt gave with a little bit of elbow grease. Thanks for the help guys, always appreciated.

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

I used an impact gun

Thread Information