How far can you go on a stock LS1

This is a discussion on How far can you go on a stock LS1 within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey Well first off newbie here, not only to the LS1 but also to V8s, I am from Denmark, with ...

camaro02DK

How far can you go on a stock LS1

Hey

Well first off newbie here, not only to the LS1 but also to V8s, I am from Denmark, with 1.6L car as a standard. You gotta love that right

Well I got a Camaro Z28 convertible with now 80K on it.

Did airlid, exhaust, upgraded transmission, and put 4.11 gears in it.

I bought some heads and headders of my buddy. But the following stuff is not put on yet.

Head: Precision Race Components 2.5
    The cam is a: 232/235,.595 112LSA
    And just know it some long tube headders.

Well thats all the info.... the ? is now, if I put this stuff on, I know from all the good post here that it is gonna give alot of extra power. But if I then after that want to go futher like a STS turbo kit, would the engine hold that ?

The reason is, I dont wanna go out and spend 2k on that installation and the in 6 monts being tired of that setup and wanna go even further nut I cant because the engine would break. I would rather then buy a engine and build from there.

I really hope you know what I mean, so let me know if you have some good opinions on that.

Thx a lot

Soren

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

above wouldnt be good for a turbo setup.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

BlackHawk T/A
    You can go FI, though you would want a different cam.

Black
    2002 Camaro

The stock LS1 bottom end is a stout piece of engineering!!! People and magazines trying to crap these engines have seen plenty go well into the 650-700 Hp range with no failure, However.... GM did not intend the bottom to live every day on that kind of set-up. Will the engine support 700+ Hp,????? Yes.....But for how long I wouldnt want to find out. To me it sounds like your hooked on the power curve. And believe me after you have 300HP you want 400, once you have 400 you want 500 and it never stops!!! Its truelly a great thing!!!! Expensive.... BUT GREAT!!!!
    I would start now by building up a solid engine from scratch. If you have a daily driver then more power to you and you will be able to save some bucks by re-using the stock block. Also if you want more cubes then this is the time to do it. For the sake of cost I would just stroke the engine rather than boring it. You can pick yourself up an entire Lunati bottom end for about $3500.00 thats gaurenteed for at least 1500HP without failure. Also I recomend buying the best fastners ARP offers. This will run you about $500-$600 but its worth it to keep your $3500 bottom end together. Use studs wherever possible also.
    Hope this helps and just let me know if you need anymore advice.

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroCrazyChris
    The stock LS1 bottom end is a stout piece of engineering!!! People and magazines trying to crap these engines have seen plenty go well into the 650-700 Hp range with no failure, However.... GM did not intend the bottom to live every day on that kind of set-up. Will the engine support 700+ Hp,????? Yes.....But for how long I wouldnt want to find out. To me it sounds like your hooked on the power curve. And believe me after you have 300HP you want 400, once you have 400 you want 500 and it never stops!!! Its truelly a great thing!!!! Expensive.... BUT GREAT!!!!
    I would start now by building up a solid engine from scratch. If you have a daily driver then more power to you and you will be able to save some bucks by re-using the stock block. Also if you want more cubes then this is the time to do it. For the sake of cost I would just stroke the engine rather than boring it. You can pick yourself up an entire Lunati bottom end for about $3500.00 thats gaurenteed for at least 1500HP without failure. Also I recomend buying the best fastners ARP offers. This will run you about $500-$600 but its worth it to keep your $3500 bottom end together. Use studs wherever possible also.
    Hope this helps and just let me know if you need anymore advice.

would a 400-450 rwhp car require anything done to the bottom end or will it hold up. pretty easy driving (no 1/4 mile passes) but occasionally getting on the car.

Black
    2002 Camaro

The bottom-end would hold up just fine under these conditions. However if you want to go beyond that... Say a.... 500HP daily driver, then you need to start adding at the very least ARP Pro-Quality studs.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by camaro02DK
    ...Well I got a Camaro Z28 convertible with now 80K on it.

Did airlid, exhaust, upgraded transmission, and put 4.11 gears in it.

I bought some heads and headders of my buddy. But the following stuff is not put on yet.

Head: Precision Race Components 2.5
    The cam is a: 232/235,.595 112LSA
    And just know it some long tube headders.

Well thats all the info.... the ? is now, if I put this stuff on, I know from all the good post here that it is gonna give alot of extra power. But if I then after that want to go futher like a STS turbo kit, would the engine hold that ?

The reason is, I dont wanna go out and spend 2k on that installation and the in 6 monts being tired of that setup and wanna go even further nut I cant because the engine would break. I would rather then buy a engine and build from there.
    Assuming the engine has been maintained properly and not abused for that first 80K miles, it should easily handle the mods you have plus adding the STS turbo later. How long it will last after the turbo depends on how you treat it. Treat it right and it will last a long time. Abuse it and it will abuse your wallet.

Thread Information