Pewter
    01 Trans Am

How to drop motor from bottom with a lift?

I am looking to see if it would be easier to do a head cam swap by dropping the motor out from the bottom? I have a lift in my garage so this is no issue but what all do I need to disconect for an 01 LS1 trans am? I have everything off (air intake, fuel rail, injectors, valve covers, water pump, hoses, didn't break the oil sending unit either - luck) of it minus the radiator 1 plastic clip still hanging on and power steering pump - easy enough I removed that previously. But to torque the heads once there done seems nearly impossible to do properly in the crammed engine compartment. Does anyone know a site with these directions?

car smart member

white
    2000 / TA ...lol

its easier to do it in car

car smart member

white
    2000 / TA ...lol

dude take the top side of engine apart and front side and pull radiator out and lift condenser up and hangby bungee cord. no sense in pulling allthat crap out I think its more of a PITA to pull the motor out. However, you might as well pull the oul pan off when you pull off the front cover and port the oil pump while you have the pan off you can clean out the oil strainer which would be a good idea. I havedone several head/cam swaps and if I pulled motor I would replace mounts with polyurethane and replace rearmain seals and re seal oil pan gasket. I would rather just leave it in the car and pull crap apart. Just use magnet trays

car smart member

white
    2000 / TA ...lol

ls1howto.com

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Mine came out of the top easily. Don't limit yourself to the stuff you hear on the internet. Talk to people who work on these cars for a living.

Black
    98' Transam

pulled mine out top as well, pretty easy

Burnt Orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by linegtdt52 View Post
    dude take the top side of engine apart and front side and pull radiator out and lift condenser up and hangby bungee cord. no sense in pulling allthat crap out I think its more of a PITA to pull the motor out. However, you might as well pull the oul pan off when you pull off the front cover and port the oil pump while you have the pan off you can clean out the oil strainer which would be a good idea. I havedone several head/cam swaps and if I pulled motor I would replace mounts with polyurethane and replace rearmain seals and re seal oil pan gasket. I would rather just leave it in the car and pull crap apart. Just use magnet trays
    X2 !

top!!!!

Theres an excellent book called "How to Build High-Performance Cehvy LS1/LS6 V-8s" by Will Handzel
    Theres a detailed chapter about how to remove the engine from the bottom with a lift.

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

Well I removed everything that I could getto to touch the engine compartment up today, everything turned out really good EXCEPT one area on my air intake holder I apparently missed this in the prep and it looks horrible I'm debating whether to just slap a sticker over it or sand the whole thing and reshoot it which I will probably do at a later time. For now everything is going along great shop still has my heads so for now I'm just peeling masking tape from everything and placing everything back where it belongs. I will post pics soon - before and after.

Thread Information