Tan
    1999 Camaro Z28

How to cam install?

I was wondering if its possible to install a new cam in my camaro without pulling out the engine? I think i've heard of removing some components like the radiator and stuff like that. If it is possible to install the cam can i do it without removing the front bumper? Thanks for all your help.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

To answer your question yes... but never done it myself.. not yet.. so I can't tell you how....
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Midnight Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    beat me to it...

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge View Post
    beat me to it...
    Haha. Don't you hate that!!

Tan
    1999 Camaro Z28

Wow. Thanks that site is great. Makes me want to do it myself....haha....but i'll ask my cousin whom has a machine shop. Thankyou again you guys.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Its not a big deal at all just make sure you follow those steps and read them all before the install. I didn't and now have to pull the front back off to replace a damn o ring.

Tan
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Its not a big deal at all just make sure you follow those steps and read them all before the install. I didn't and now have to pull the front back off to replace a damn o ring.
    Jeez that sucks....what went wrong?

I was also wondering. My cousin owns a machine shop and hes a mechanic. I talked to and asked him how much it would cost me for install. He said that with labor and all the gaskets and oil and antifreeze, he would charge me $900. Personally i think its too much. Any opinions? Is that too expensive even if it wasn't family. It should be free labor from him :-(

98 Formula
    06 duramax

he didn't replace the o-ring on the oil pick-up tube I'm assuming.

Are you mechanically inclined at all? If you are the cam swap is very doable. It's really way easier than you think it is and I would never have paid $900 to have it installed. That write up at ls1howto is excellent and if you just read the step by step on it you can decide there if you can do it. I would follow that write up to the letter and you'll be fine. If not I'll do your cam for $850

Tan
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post

Are you mechanically inclined at all? If you are the cam swap is very doable. It's really way easier than you think it is and I would never have paid $900 to have it installed. That write up at ls1howto is excellent and if you just read the step by step on it you can decide there if you can do it. I would follow that write up to the letter and you'll be fine. If not I'll do your cam for $850
    Haha. 850 is better than 900. Sheesh. I'm just going to do it myself. Im mechanically inclined but i've never done engine work. Even if it takes me a few weeks, i'll get it done. The only thing is that my cousin can get me the cam for 250......so i kinda need him for that. But other wise i'll buy all the seals and parts myself.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would read up and go in knowing exactly what you want and need. I strongly suggest doing valvesprings, pushrods, oil pump, and timing chain at the same time. With anything other than stock you have to do springs. The other stuff is just a really good idea. I would also call some of the sponsors and see what kind of package deal you can get with them. A lot of times they can work with you and will cut you a deal if you buy the whole thing through them and most of the time you'll get those deals on the phone versus through emails. Might save you some bucks and keep you from having to deal with your cousin. My dad always said to never do business with friends and family and my experience has been that he was right.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Exactly. Don't know what I was thinking. I saw the O ring and it didn't look torn at the time but with 146k miles I shoulda known it would have had to be replaced. Had I researched that before diving in I would have probably been set.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, sometimes those lessons just have to be learned the hard way Kinda like pulling a tranny to put in a stall and not changing the front seal while it was out. Nothing like pulling a tranny again to replace a $10 seal.

RED
    2000 Camaro SS

Get some experienced help. Post up in the local forums and see if someone will help you. I have helped several people do their cams and other mods. Everything from bolt ons to engine swaps.

Tan
    1999 Camaro Z28

Do you guys know if it would be possible to reinstall my stock components right before i smog it again? Would the old stuff work? Would they sit properly in the motor? Any feed back i would appriciate it......

Also which cam would be good for my car, i have a 99 z28 with intake and rack and pin in the rear end. Its a A$ and i know i shouldn't be reving it that high since its auto. or can i? Let me know. Thanks

Silver
    2003 Corvette Z06

I had a Thunder Racing 224/224 114LSA cam in my old '00 Camaro SS and it passed CA smog with flying colors.

The issue you will have is LT headers will not pass the visual even if you have cats. You'd have to swap them every two years or find a cool smog shop
    Last edited by crazed_z06; 06-20-2007 at 12:44 AM.

Tan
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by crazed_z06 View Post
    I had a Thunder Racing 224/224 114LSA cam in my old '00 Camaro SS and it passed CA smog with flying colors.

The issue you will have is LT headers will not pass the visual even if you have cats. You'd have to swap them every two years or find a cool smog shop
    what state do you live in?

Silver
    2003 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by CuekooZ28 View Post
    what state do you live in?
    Im in California..

I scanned my smog reports.. Ill see if I can find them.

EDIT: Here is a pretest I did
    http://members.cox.net/2000ss/smog/ca_smog_tr224-1.jpg
    http://members.cox.net/2000ss/smog/ca_smog_tr224-2.jpg

Here is the actual test..
    http://members.cox.net/2000ss/smog/smog1.jpg
    http://members.cox.net/2000ss/smog/smog2.jpg

Mods: TR 224/224 114LSA Cam (Installed by http://www.donleeauto.com/), JBA shorty headers, SLP CAI, ASP Pulley, Magnaflow Exhaust, LS6 Intake, Dyno Tune by Jeff Creech of Carolina Auto Masters.

Only put down 356whp on the dyno after all that.. I blame it on the shorty headers. Probably coulda got another 20whp+ with Long Tubes. I didnt want to have to deal with swapping them back and forth though.
    Last edited by crazed_z06; 06-20-2007 at 06:22 AM.

Thread Information