Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hotcam

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Hotcam

Are the GM performance Hotcams any good? There was a kit I saw in the summit racing book for about $500 that uses LS6 lifters and springs. Just wondering if they were anything special.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

not worth it if you ask me
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

98 Formula
    06 duramax

personally I would look at something bigger but in it's defense a local guy here made 377 rwhp 371 rwtq with a hotcam on stock heads. Not bad if you ask me for the money.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Thanks for the input. I realized that you really can't go cheap when it comes to stuff like that, but hey, like you said, you can't beat the price. I think I will budget in a larger cam, and mix and match the right valve-train pieces that I need.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I believe what you'll find is that if you get a package through someone they'll give you a pretty decent discount so when you're figuring up parts and prices it's always best to call someone on the phone and see what kinda deal they'll give you. I did the whole thing in one shot. Heads, cam, timing chain, lifters, pushrods, oil pump,gaskets, arp bolts, and a couple other things I'm forgetting at the moment. I got a pretty nice break on prices by setting up the deal over the phone and getting it all at the same place.

Metallic Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Ya I was thinking about the ASA cam for the T/A b/c the Maro is getting a 408/turbo so I didn't want to go all out do to financial situations. I like to do things right and I already have the LS6 springs on the T/A and everything else needed for the swap other than the cam. I jsut sold a 224/228 and decided fuck it, go hard or go home. Looking for a bigger cam and might have found one, plus gonna get some nice ported 243's and maybe bottle feed her for the track. Shooting for 10's in both cars. Now that sounds fun

black trans am

that asa cam ??? its gm part but where can u get it and how much and what are the specs??

Metallic Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

check out sdpc or any gm performance part distributors. As its made by gm jsut like the infamous hotcam but being more extreme. 226/236 .525/.525 110LSA and the hotcam is 218/228 .525/.525 112LSA

Awaiting Activation
    there is nothing wrong with the hotcam- you can just get a lot more power other choices. I know a guy making 393rwhp/ 370rwtq with a hotcam, full bolt-ons and a tune!!

Metallic Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I agree, as I maybe installing one myself

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

ihave a hotcam kit, ls6 heads, and longtubes. i made 377rwhp...and its my daily driver. makes good power and is easy to drive on the street. jus my .02

however i will be upgrading to a bigger cam soon for more power

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Loudz28 View Post
    ihave a hotcam kit, ls6 heads, and longtubes. i made 377rwhp...and its my daily driver. makes good power and is easy to drive on the street. jus my .02

however i will be upgrading to a bigger cam soon for more power
    I think you're not alone there. There's nothing wrong with the hotcam but there are cams out there that make more power without sacrificing a ton of driveability.

Metallic Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I think you're not alone there. There's nothing wrong with the hotcam but there are cams out there that make more power without sacrificing a ton of driveability.
    You than enter the added issues of needed valvetrain replacement every 10-30k pending the agressiveness of the profile/lift used.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's why god invented dual springs.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Much better cams out there without sacrificing any drivablilty

Metallic Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

how does the hotcam sacrifice driveabilty? Its a torquer cam and has mild lope to most cams out there, allot bigger cams sacrifice driveabilty before this one does. Heck the asa cam tuned doesn't even sacrifice driveability. For a cam its close to best bang for buck. Cam and LS6 springs for less than 200 bucks = 30/30+ to the wheels. If you did up results guys have went to allot more agressive cams and made only less that 10hp peak and lost allot of hp/tq throughout most of the rpm's. If on stock castings it is a great cam but LS6 heads and up definetley go bigger or its a waste. Those cams need room to breathe and a lil more up top and losing down low for more money isn't worth it for me. To me its either go all out or cheal out, lol. But really nothing wron with full bolt on's and the hotcam. If I ever get aftermarket castings there will be a custom grind 230/230+ cam in there.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Websy21 View Post
    how does the hotcam sacrifice driveabilty?
    I didn't say it did. I'm saying you can go a lil bigger like a 224 and have drivability just as good. Only reason to go with a Hotcam over say a 224 would be price imo but for going thru all the trouble of installing cam and springs I'd rather spend a lil more and get somethinng that performs a lil better. All I was saying.

Metallic Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I didn't say it did. I'm saying you can go a lil bigger like a 224 and have drivability just as good. Only reason to go with a Hotcam over say a 224 would be price imo but for going thru all the trouble of installing cam and springs I'd rather spend a lil more and get somethinng that performs a lil better. All I was saying.
    Ok, wasn't trying to sound like a dick if I came across as one. I do agree with you but for a couple hundred bucks and doing it yourself why not. If money was no option do you think I'd care. Plus my 2000 Maro is getting a 408/turbo etc so it should have enough power if I want to have some fun. If I want to cruise its the cam/bolt on's T/A.

black trans am

i have the hotcam.. i have not put it in yeat.. i got it b/s it gives 49rwhp to a stock ls1.. if u tune it u can get even more. the hotcam has a 112lsa the smaller ur las the higher your power band is going to be i think ls1 cars have a 116 stock.. the hot cam does not give us lift but thats where the 1.85 rockers come in to play.. if u set ur car up right u can have a powerful fun fast play toy and not lose any driveabilttty

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    i have the hotcam.. i have not put it in yeat.. i got it b/s it gives 49rwhp to a stock ls1.. if u tune it u can get even more. the hotcam has a 112lsa the smaller ur las the higher your power band is going to be i think ls1 cars have a 116 stock.. the hot cam does not give us lift but thats where the 1.85 rockers come in to play.. if u set ur car up right u can have a powerful fun fast play toy and not lose any driveabilttty
    the hotcam is not going to give you anywhere near 49 rear wheel horsepower.

big ass cams like the magic stick barely give that much power.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information