Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Horsepower, the whole story.

This is a discussion on Horsepower, the whole story. within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; And "work done over time" is energy! And torque is doing the work. Work is the dot product of Force ...

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

And "work done over time" is energy!
    And torque is doing the work. Work is the dot product of Force and distance. Like, pushing something 1000 lbs 3 feet is 3000 ft-lbs of work. In rotational mechanics, 400 ft-lbs is 400 lbs applied to a 1 ft moment arm (or 200 to a 2', or 100 to a 4') all do the same work.

But I digress, if you want to get some "work done over time" it is a lot easier to start with work....torque!

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by BowTied View Post
    And "work done over time" is energy!
    And torque is doing the work. Work is the dot product of Force and distance. Like, pushing something 1000 lbs 3 feet is 3000 ft-lbs of work. In rotational mechanics, 400 ft-lbs is 400 lbs applied to a 1 ft moment arm (or 200 to a 2', or 100 to a 4') all do the same work.

But I digress, if you want to get some "work done over time" it is a lot easier to start with work....torque!
    not sure what you're trying to say, but horsepower IS work/time (work done over time).

energy is the capacity for work, it has NOTHING to do with time.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by slp1122 View Post
    not sure what you're trying to say, but horsepower IS work/time (work done over time).

energy is the capacity for work, it has NOTHING to do with time.
    Sorry, I deleted some TMI out of my post...deleted wrong. (I deleted the integration statement....Energy as the time integral of power. I was going to say that you could take 2 different power curves from a dyno...Integrate and get a better answer to which engine has the most power. Given the equation doesn't jump off the paper...better to feed into a data logger and pull into MatLab, Excel or something at run time. So you don't have to manually find/construct the function (likely piecewise) to work the integral.)

E/t=W/t = P. Yes, energy is the capacity to do work. (Work-Energy Equation)

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Sorry, I deleted some TMI out of my post...deleted wrong. (I deleted the integration statement....Energy as the time integral of power. I was going to say that you could take 2 different power curves from a dyno...Integrate and get a better answer to which engine has the most power. Given the equation doesn't jump off the paper...better to feed into a data logger and pull into MatLab, Excel or something at run time. So you don't have to manually find/construct the function (likely piecewise) to work the integral.)

ah gotcha! makes sense now

I've been around a few forums, read various articles, and even talked to several Mechanical Engineers...

But I never hear anyone, ANYONE, talking about the curves! Am I just missing it being spoken on.
    Given that first statement, I have no idea how you can claim the second. Unless you're on a forum that caters to BMW or 350Z kiddies, power under the curve is discussed alot. Perhaps you should do more reading. And IMO gearing and overall driveline setup is more important than power under the curve, as you can gear to your powerband. That reason is why a properly geared and stalled automatic car can outrun it's manual transmission counterpart, even when underpowered, peak or under the curve

It's all about utilizing your power to the fullest extent. Many people build lots of power they cannot use, it's all being wasted with the rest of the inefficient vehicle setup.

Finally, if we are going to talk power under the curve, where do we begin the average? Power at full throttle in the low RPM range is meaningless.
    Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 01-14-2009 at 09:27 AM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    because an engine is measured at its peak hp, what it is capable of putting down. that is why we have the graph to see how well the power curve is. that is why we got peeps on here like Wesman(no offense Wesman:chair: ) who stronly dislike a turbo 4 because your "arhp" are dead usually untill they boost up.

i prolly didnt answer your question but i tried
    I am w/ WESMAN on this one!

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

I was talking about the general stuff. (I have been to more Stang and Nissan boards to view their discussions. Because it is entertaining as Hell.) And many talk about the drive line and getting the power to the ground. (As to why they got plowed.)

I've read a few ARTICLES on hi-po engines (maybe not reading the right ones) I note they talk about power here and there in the rpm band, and I have heard that here and other places.

But I never see anything on a quantitative measure for the whole. Where to measure I mentioned earlier. Where would be best to measure is in a 1/4 haul.

I don't know why I haven't seen a simple program that measures speed, time, and uses entered car weight to show an applied performance curve. (Tapping the wheel sensor readings to show wheel spins. And it would be nice if you could enter your drive component specs. Then you could show HP and torque from flywheel to rear wheel.)

I don't know why I haven't seen a simple program that measures speed, time, and uses entered car weight to show an applied performance curve. (Tapping the wheel sensor readings to show wheel spins. And it would be nice if you could enter your drive component specs. Then you could show HP and torque from flywheel to rear wheel.)
    Why on Earth would anyone need something like that? It sounds like you're trying to benchmark a vehicle's performance, and there is already something that measures that. It's not a program, it's called a racetrack.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

I've never had one in my back yard! You must have one, that happens to be free! Nice!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I am w/ WESMAN on this one!
    Me too

Its like I always say - if you have two engines can both make identical peak power numbers, why would you want the smaller one with the crappy powerband and less torque?? Makes no sense, but ricers will try and justify their cause until the end of time.

I've never had one in my back yard! You must have one, that happens to be free! Nice!
    Because this program you speak of would be free too, right? Don't have a local track? Buy a G-Tech, they're fairly accurate and can do everything you ask.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Exactly! Perception dominates reality.
    That pretty much sums up the whole "peak horsepower" vs "real power" discussion.

I think a measure that incorporated the average hp throughout the usable rpm range and then divided that figure into the car's weight would give us a more realistic indication of performance. That being said, even that figure wouldn't be able to take into account aerodynamics, suspension, gearing and a car's ability to put the power to the ground.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Shit, I'm lost! Anyway, I got 580 horsepower and no traction! What you got?
    j/k

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Shit, I'm lost! Anyway, I got 580 horsepower and no traction! What you got?
    j/k
    That is all Math and Physics crap that you generally don't need to know to get it did!

I am pushing 111 ponies with fat 22's and a big ole muffler!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

That is all Math and Physics crap that you generally don't need to know to get it did!

I am pushing 111 ponies with fat 22's and a big ole muffler!
    That post is hilarious! Can you guys fine tune the calculation to include the performance increase I would get from a couple stickers and a really big wing on the back? I'm thinking I should already be good for an extra 20 rwhp, however I'll probably add a "NOS" sticker down the road to pick up a few extra hp.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

I think a wing increases HP by like 30 to 40. 40 if it is primed and not painted! Stickers...it depends on how cool the lettering is and if they are oval and metallic, and look all racy! NOS is an upper end sticker you should really put a Koni racing shock sticker to make sure you get those increases to the ground.

Now carbon fiber laminates, they add HP and reduce the cars weight! Add some neon lights under the car and you have dangerous levels of The Fast and The Furious levels of speed!

hugger orange

I think a wing increases HP by like 30 to 40. 40 if it is primed and not painted! Stickers...it depends on how cool the lettering is and if they are oval and metallic, and look all racy! NOS is an upper end sticker you should really put a Koni racing shock sticker to make sure you get those increases to the ground.

Now carbon fiber laminates, they add HP and reduce the cars weight! Add some neon lights under the car and you have dangerous levels of The Fast and The Furious levels of speed!
    how about this wing

or if thats not enough, we can just add afterburners!

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

hugger orange

you gotta love the 2x4 cross braces on the first one

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    you gotta love the 2x4 cross braces on the first one
    Absolutely smoooooov! He must be in the Framers Union!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information