Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hole in block...

This is a discussion on Hole in block... within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Frost this problem has affected only TAs that I have seen personally... it happens on the passenger ...

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    this problem has affected only TAs that I have seen personally... it happens on the passenger side and next-to-last cylinder.
    Mine is passenger side, cylinder numero' cinco (#5)...I think! It's right behind the motor mount.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

yeah I bet it happened like I described too... thats the trouble cylinder

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    yeah I bet it happened like I described too... thats the trouble cylinder
    NOOOOOOOO!!! Well I kind of figured a rod snapped or a wrist pin failed, but I didn't think this was a common issue with the T/A... Hopefully it'll never happen again wih the car being stored in a garage now

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I wouldn't call it common, but it's common enough that I have seen on it more than 2 or 3 cars now...

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Time to find a way to prevent that!

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Time to find a way to prevent that!
    garage?

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    garage?
    Don't always have that option. Mainly if I'm at work and it starts pouring. I don't want to chance it.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Damn! good luck on getting it going soon!

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Don't always have that option. Mainly if I'm at work and it starts pouring. I don't want to chance it.
    Okay, this is kinda freaky. I washed my car last night and threw her in the garage. Got up this morning and started cleaning the engine bay with some compressed air and water started spraying. I had water sitting all night over passenger side #6 on the intake.

Talk about bad karma.

I'm guessing that it's coming when washing down the windshield and drips sticks into that spot which makes a perfect pool. I never would've even noticed if it wasn't for this thread.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Okay, this is kinda freaky. I washed my car last night and threw her in the garage. Got up this morning and started cleaning the engine bay with some compressed air and water started spraying. I had water sitting all night over passenger side #6 on the intake.

Talk about bad karma.

I'm guessing that it's coming when washing down the windshield and drips sticks into that spot which makes a perfect pool. I never would've even noticed if it wasn't for this thread.
    I'm gonna make it clear that I screwed up!!! I mean that my cylinder #4 (passenger side) is the one that probably took in water!

The O-ring for that cylnder is completely ravaged and I'm guessing that's how water got into the cylinder...I'll get more pics later, but I'm on the way to getting the motor out. I can't pull the motor out with the car "in" the garage I'm renting, but I can roll the k-member in and work on the engine inside...yea, doesn't make much sense but it is what it is..and it literally took me over an hour to get the sway bar off of my car today, so the motor won't be out until at least next weekend to know for sure what caused the failure.

Thanks to all that have subscibed, and pics and info will be on the way as soon as I can get this thing out of the car!

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Any more updates on this post?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Fearls1 View Post
    Any more updates on this post?
    Should have updated a while ago...Car has been running since Late March 2009. I couldn't get it running for about a week after it was all put together and it turns out I had my positive and negative hooked together on the starter..Yea, I know I'm fuckin idiot haha.

A week after it was running the rear took a poop and I bought a used 10 bolt and still rockin it as we speak. I wish I would have had more money at the time and could have built a stroker motor but whats done is done...for now

98 Formula
    06 duramax

pull that valve cover and see if you dropped a valve or something. I'm wondering if a spring broke and you dropped the valve. That's my best guess without putting much thought into it. Sorry to hear about that...sucks for sure. Keep your eyes peeled for a used short block....might find one in your range although I would probably save my pennies if I were you and go 408 if you can afford to go without the car a while.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    pull that valve cover and see if you dropped a valve or something. I'm wondering if a spring broke and you dropped the valve. That's my best guess without putting much thought into it. Sorry to hear about that...sucks for sure. Keep your eyes peeled for a used short block....might find one in your range although I would probably save my pennies if I were you and go 408 if you can afford to go without the car a while.
    You missed my last post man...This happened a year ago in October and the car has been running since march of this year. Bought an ls6 shortblock,put in a cam (obviously new springs, oil pump, pushrods, etc). I wish I would have had the money for a 400+ stroker but didnt at the time. Oh and no dropped valves...when I tore the motor apart there was a shitload of water in cylinder #4 which caused the rod to break. It makes nice paperweight though
    Last edited by 01ws6er; 12-16-2009 at 03:47 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    You missed my last post man...This happened a year ago in October and the car has been running since march of this year. Bought an ls6 shortblock,put in a cam (obviously new springs, oil pump, pushrods, etc). I wish I would have had the money for a 400+ stroker but didnt at the time. Oh and no dropped valves...when I tore the motor apart there was a shitload of water in cylinder #4 which caused the rod to break. It makes nice paperweight though
    I actually missed pages 2-4 I just saw it in new posts and read the page and replied. Oh well, at least you got it running again. Water then? Was that what you found when you pulled it? Nothing else in the cylinder?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I actually missed pages 2-4 I just saw it in new posts and read the page and replied. Oh well, at least you got it running again. Water then? Was that what you found when you pulled it? Nothing else in the cylinder?
    Yea pulled the spark plug and water poured out and there was a shitload of water mixed in the oil too...not cool. When the rod broke the piston stayed up in the cylinder for a few seconds before I shut it off so a valve hit the piston and I had to get it replaced when I had the heads redone. Im scared it will happen again since I dont have a garage anymore...
    01' Ws6: Bolt ons, TD's, stock 241 heads, 230/230 .612/.592 111+2

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Get a cheap car cover and throw a tarp over it.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Get a cheap car cover and throw a tarp over it.

lol @ the car cover...I got one from summit and if I farted near it that bitch would blow off I used 10 gauge(plastic coated) ground wire and tied it from side to side under the car and it still blew off so I just gave up on it

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

WS6store.com has nice covercraft covers. They fit well, go on and off easy...

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I've had good luck with Wolf Evolution car covers.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information