Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Highest legal N/A power for California?

This is a discussion on Highest legal N/A power for California? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by WARP211 Cuz the weather is better than anywhere else in the united states.. oops besides hawaii.. No ...

Quote Originally Posted by WARP211 View Post
    Cuz the weather is better than anywhere else in the united states.. oops besides hawaii..
    No it's not,,,I have family out there, wife was born and raised,,,Cali isn't all it's cracked up to be. Actually I find Arizona much nicer,,,which is where most of the californians have been moving the last 3-4 years. (I just hope they don't Californize it,,,lol) I believe California was one of the few states mentioned recently where more people are moving out than in,,,,lol.

But anyway to get back on topic,,,,,,,,,
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-02-2008 at 09:10 AM.

I'm shooting for 500HP at the crank.. And i will make it pass smog for all you non-believers out their.. Believe it or not..? And they do have cars modded out here that pass the sniffer.. As far as long tubs go they are illegal to have yes and the cats you cannot relocate.. but with the car drop and having aftermarket cats like radom technology.. its possible... is it legal? no.. But when you smog your own cars anything is possible
    Now you are stretching the rules,,,,which is out of the original posters question,,,,,Black02 asked to do it legally,,,,,,,,

Sure anyone can make 500 HP at the crank if your going to cheat on the smog test,,,,then whats the point?????

Technically long tube headers are not allowed in California,,,,and a legit smog station out there will check for this...

Kind of on topic,,,sort of,,,,you can't even purchase a non smog era car,,,50's 60's or 70's and stick a modern drivetrain in it.....because they still make you have all the smog equipment required for the year of engine installed,,,,so a modern LS1 installed in (for example) a 69 camaro would be required to have all the smog equipment as per year of engine.

I went through this crap with an engine swap in a pre smog vehicle,,,and they wouldn't tag it in California,,, It's a real racket out there in Cali,,,it isn't worth putting up with for the weather,,,there are other places to live that we like to call,,,,,,"The land of mechanical freedom",,,,lol,,,that have great weather.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-01-2008 at 04:59 PM.

dude i'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone.. Thats just my IMO..
    I don't understand this word. Is there a Californianese interpreter around?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    I don't understand this word. Is there a Californianese interpreter around?
    LOL,,,,they do say a few things different out there,,,I've been married to my wife for 20 years and I still hear things come out of her mouth,,,and I'm like,,,,,,what????? She just says,,,oh it's a california saying

A little off topic here but still emissions and California related,,,,just to give an example how stupid and strict they are with smog checks out there.

The engine swap I mentioned was a 96 Corvette LT1 going into an 82 Jeep Scrambler.

These idiots not only wanted all the 96 Corvette smog equipment on the jeep,,,they even went as far as to tell me I had to have the 97 Corvette exhaust system on the Jeep too or it wouldn't pass smog. I was like,,,,,you have to be kidding me,,,are you that stupid????
    I'm a good fabricator but to adapt a 96 vette exhaust system to a 4X4 jeep is a little far fetched,,,,I just wanted to punch that guy,,,it was pure stupidity........ That is carrying the smog equipment way too far in my opinion...I just registered the Jeep out of state and told California to kiss my ass. My wife wanted to move closer to family,,,,I told here after I'm dead and buried we could move back there,,,,,lol.... So we decided on Arizona,,,no smog checking and close enough to drive to her folks.

Stupid California,,,,,okay done ranting.

With that said,,,,if you are going to mod a 4th gen camaro,,,,and you want 500 RWHP and still be smog legal and legit in California,,,,it's not going to happen unless you go with a smog legal power adder,,,,as stated before 400 RWHP would be pushing it naturally aspirated. They are just rediculous out there when it comes to smog.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-02-2008 at 09:14 AM.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    No it's not,,,I have family out there, wife was born and raised,,,Cali isn't all it's cracked up to be. Actually I find Arizona much nicer,,,which is where most of the californians have been moving the last 3-4 years. (I just hope they don't Californize it,,,lol) I believe California was one of the few states mentioned recently where more people are moving out than in,,,,lol.

But anyway to get back on topic,,,,,,,,,
    Most californians move out of cali, cuz the can't afford to live in the bay area or its too expensive for the most part.. As far as weather goes.. dude your smokin.. your telling me that you would rather live in the dessert than shine city state.. come on dude. who are you tryin to fool? I guess if you can put up with 100+ temps its okay.. Man its soooo hot out there you can even go for a nice walk without turning black.. But enought about the weather..

Most californians move out of cali, cuz the can't afford to live in the bay area or its too expensive for the most part.. As far as weather goes.. dude your smokin.. your telling me that you would rather live in the dessert than shine city state.. come on dude. who are you tryin to fool? I guess if you can put up with 100+ temps its okay.. Man its soooo hot out there you can even go for a nice walk without turning black.. But enought about the weather..
    Yes sir I would,,,but it's not hot everywhere in the desert,,,we bought a house higher up in elevation,,,not down in Phoenix,,,they have smog checks there anyway,,,not for me.

If you go about 3,000 feet up it's perfect, called high desert by the natives. Not too hot and not too cold. Hardly ever rains,,,,perfect car weather man. For some reason when you say Arizona the first thing people think is 100+ degree temps and desert like conditions,,,,it's not really like that everywhere in Arizona.

Party Time, Excellent... Kingc8r's Avatar

Arctic White
    2000 Z-28

Arizona is rather nice, which is why I plan on moving there. I can afford the Bay Area. I'd rather spend my money on mods and having fun than a mortgage on over priced property. California is nice but it isn't car hobby friendly.

I don't know how global warming has anything to do with a member that wants to make x amount of hp in Nazifornia, but my best answer for him is if he wants that much power he is going to have to S/C like another person that reply in this thread or ' pay ' for his smogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    Impossible. 400rwhp California smog legal would be impressive.
    Tell that to Jay Leno...

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Skoole View Post
    Tell that to Jay Leno...
    That 400rwhp CA legal was in reference to a naturally aspirated LS1 engine. I said 500rwhp NA LS1 CA legal was impossible. I hope you've learned a little about this platform since your last visit

M3+LS1=Badass

Cosmos black
    1995 BMW M3

I've heard of people having 2 engines, 1 completely stock with factory ECM and another modified with a diff ECM tuned for their setup.

Emissions time comes around, they'll pull the motor and drop in the stock

Don't know if it would work, and it sounds like a lot of pain, but if it does work I'd probably do it

Arctic White
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by shaggsm3ls1 View Post
    I've heard of people having 2 engines, 1 completely stock with factory ECM and another modified with a diff ECM tuned for their setup.

Emissions time comes around, they'll pull the motor and drop in the stock

Don't know if it would work, and it sounds like a lot of pain, but if it does work I'd probably do it
    I would rather pay my $2-300 for a smog

I'm glad we don't have smog laws here in the Lone Star State, at least not in San Antonio....I did hear that Florida is following in California's footsteps.!!

Arctic White
    2000 Z-28

I think you should be able to not smog your vehicle if you register/insure it as a weekend car

Quote Originally Posted by Kingc8r View Post
    I think you should be able to not smog your vehicle if you register/insure it as a weekend car
    Well thats the way they do it in most other states. They call it registering your car as historical (if 25 years old or more) and you get a special plate for your car that exempts it from testing.

Or,,,,you can register it with a collector plate,,,(if under 25 years old) and these also exempt you from smog testing.
    Although in order to do this,,,they require that you have another vehicle designated as a daily driver and registered as such.

So ya to answer your question, many states around the country do this,,,,you just happen to be in that screwed up state on the west coast

Or does California offer something like this now???? My family hasn't mentioned anything of the sort to me as of recent. They usually keep me up to speed and send me newpaper clippings on any car hobby related stuff.

Blown 5.7

lamest arguments ever

Even after a six pack my head still hurts reading FBJ stupid ass comments throughout this thread. Give me my minute 30 seconds back. ahhh.

He left california and moved to arizona because he didnt convert his jeep per california law. But wait, his kick ass jeep with the LT1 is way more important than his wife's happiness or being closer to the familly. Wonderful husband. Way to tell CA to kiss his ass. Or was he telling his better half to kiss his ass?

Arizona is better than california (?) WTF? I like Arizona very much, and wouldnt mind living there. But if AZ is so much better, then why is it cheaper? Hmmm basic supply/demand economics. More people WANT to live in California, higher prices for equivalent house. I'm not advocating for CA and will likely move out, but real$tate doesn't friggin lie.

Funny that he thinks California is controlled by tree-huggin' liberals. Unless of course he forgot that Arnold Schwarzenegger, gov of CA, is a Republican and AZ gov is a Democrat. Makes perfect back-assward sense in FBJ's mind, or lack thereof. News flash! CA Gov Terminator is sueing the EPA in order to get stricter emmisions and milleage standards in California because californians want to reduce state pollution by 58 Million tons between 2009-2016.

And by the way, Arizona along with 17 states - including New York, Maryland, Minnesota, Iowa, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Maine, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington and Pennsylvania are all part of the same law suit.

Maybe F-BJ should ask his wife about her time as a child in CA. If she's between 30-40 then she'll remember the average 20 school days out of the year she wasnt allowed to go outside and play.... too much smog. Oh yeah, and lets consider that the population of California doubled from 20Million in 1970 to an estimated 40Million in 2010. Twice as many people, more than twice as many cars and still less polution than forty years ago. The EPA Nazi's sure Fuked things up huh? Damn, I'm getting all misty eyed remembering my lungs burning out on the playground and not being able to see down the street. We sure miss that in California. I have mild (very mild) asthma that my doctor attributes to having grown up in Los Angeles County during the 70's and 80's. Fuk the CA Air Resouce Board and South Coast Air District for making sure more kids don't get asthma, or worse. Liberal Fukin hippies.

So get my point FireBlowJob, go suck on a tail pipe and burn off those few remaining brain cells flopping around in that empty bag above your shoulders. Do yourself and our hobby a favor and stop making these stupid posts. Your comments have the potential to make all us enthusiasts look like .... well ignorant like you.

Sorry, truth hurts. Everything I wrote is documented and proven. FBJ even documented his own ignorance. Like President Bush says "Use The Google" and "The Internets" learn for yourself.

LOL, get off your high horse. Just what we need is another internet tough guy that learns everything from google,,,get a life,,,,

You haven't a clue as to our situation so to sit there and comment about me is way out of line. My wife was just as ready to move as I was, and there is more to it than that as well, but I would be kidding myself to think sitting here and explaining it to someone like you would be worth my time. You need to worry about yourself, what we do is really not your concern.

Last time I checked, the last bout of globing warming the earth dealt with,,,you know,,,the one that ended the ice age???? I'm pretty sure that Busch, Arnold, or anyone for that matter, as well as any automobile didn't have anything to do with that. Maybe they should regulate volcanoes and cow farts

Did you ever watch that movie "earthquake" where Califirnia pretty much separates itself from the rest of the country...?
    Well it's just a movie but we can dream right...?

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Smog 50 State Wide... Cali Standards...

Well you know that probably with the next 10-20 yrs.. they are gonna make it 50 state wide smog with cali standards. Or something way more strict than what it is today.. What will everyone else do then..? probly.. move to canada.. or maybe mexico to run their Hot rodding Hobby..? I'm sure if that does happen that no one is gonna do that.. Of course we will adjust to it and deal with it like we have done in the past.. So just cuz IMO that we set the standards high doesn't mean we still can't have fun doing wut we do. Which is going FAST..

Well you know that probably with the next 10-20 yrs.. they are gonna make it 50 state wide smog with cali standards. Or something way more strict than what it is today.. What will everyone else do then..? probly.. move to canada.. or maybe mexico to run their Hot rodding Hobby..? I'm sure if that does happen that no one is gonna do that.. Of course we will adjust to it and deal with it like we have done in the past.. So just cuz IMO that we set the standards high doesn't mean we still can't have fun doing wut we do. Which is going FAST..
    Ya I'm sure that will happen, it's only a matter of time. Most of my stuff is so old I won't have to worry about it anyway. I only have the 2 new 4th gens to worry about, which are getting older anyway,,,with any luck by the time it becomes nationwide I won't have to bother with it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information