Black
    '99 SS

Help A Newb! Cams/Heads

Hey everyone,
    I'm fairly new to modding cars but ever since I got my Camaro I have been trying to learn more and more. I was hoping someone can provide information on Heads and Cams specifications.

What should I be looking for (horsepower)?
    What is the difference between 310cc intake ports, 330cc intake port, and 350cc intake ports on heads?

Just general information would be greatly appriciated. (maybe a website?)

Thanks in advance.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Big ports better for high rpm horsepower, little ports better for low rpm h/p. Thats pretty general, dont know what your lookin for as far as specs.

Cam.... hard to be general there. dont know what you know already. But lobe centerline, duration, overlap, lift, LSA, single pattern and double are pretty general to picking your cam.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik
    I was hoping someone can provide information on Heads and Cams specifications.

What should I be looking for (horsepower)?
    What is the difference between 310cc intake ports, 330cc intake port, and 350cc intake ports on heads?
    Not much difference between those as they are all way to big for any LS1 car. Not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but those would be port sizes for a Big Block Chevy.

AFR makes two different castings for LS1 engines. Their 205cc intake port is an upgrade for stock cubic inch engines and mild engines up to 383 cubic inches. They also have a 225cc head for wild 346 cubic inch engines and to support engines over 383 inches.

As for a cam, there are a lot of choices out there, and you haven't said anything of what you are wanting. Is this a daily driver, weekend toy or dedicated track car? Is it a stick or automatic. What other supporting mods do you have.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Black
    '99 SS

Daily driver, Automatic, and I want her to sound like a beast.

Mostly my car is stock except a K&N Air Intake System, Flowmaster Muffler, and a B&M Shift Kit. I am also looking at long-tube headers.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Definitely get headers first, as the rest won't do you much good otherwise.

If you are mainly after sound, consider something like the hotcam (219/228 on a 112 lobe separation angle). With that cam, you'll be fine with stock heads and an automatic. For the best drivability, you'll want a good dyno tune with any cam change. You may decide later that a stall converter in the 3000 range helps out.

The obvious temptation is to make your daily driver sound like a drag racer, but then you loose the good mileage and manners that these cars have to offer. If you must have a bigger cam than listed above, stay in the 224 - 230 range with a 114 lobe sep. More than that gets much harder to tune and live with, especially in an auto.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik
    Daily driver, Automatic, and I want her to sound like a beast.

oh man...... i hate hearing that.

Black
    '99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Definitely get headers first, as the rest won't do you much good otherwise.

If you are mainly after sound, consider something like the hotcam (219/228 on a 112 lobe separation angle). With that cam, you'll be fine with stock heads and an automatic. For the best drivability, you'll want a good dyno tune with any cam change. You may decide later that a stall converter in the 3000 range helps out.

The obvious temptation is to make your daily driver sound like a drag racer, but then you loose the good mileage and manners that these cars have to offer. If you must have a bigger cam than listed above, stay in the 224 - 230 range with a 114 lobe sep. More than that gets much harder to tune and live with, especially in an auto.
    Awesome bud, thanks a lot.

Thread Information