pewter
    99 vette

HELP! need help with timing chain install..

I finally got all the stuff for my build and I'm starting to put my engine back together, Texas speed sent me a timing chain that contains a Torrington bearing. My question is, what the hell is it and where does it go. My buddy has put together several ls1's and has never seen a kit with one either. Do I need it? Any advice is welcomed I'm trying to finish it tommorow. Thanks in advance.

Blue
    1979 Malibu

The torrington bearing should go behind the cam gear, if you leave it out then the cam will have to much movement front to rear and will cause problems. The bearing is supposed to reduce friction.
    Just make sure that the cam and crank gear line up when you bolt everything together if they do then you should be fine.

pewter
    99 vette

the factory timing chain and the new one appear to be the same dimensions, so wouldnt using it cause it not to be lined up properly? It came from the factory without one so I just don't see why I should use it. This is the first timing chain kit I have seen with one of these. Are most guys throwing these things away or using them?

black
    02 ss camaro

Some timing chains have a groove machined into the back of the cam gear for the torrington bearing.I always thought a cam button was used to prevent the cam from walking??Sometimes you have to machine the block to accept the torrington bearing,not sure about the Lsx blocks,but had to do it on a few mark 4 big blocks.If that is the case you could always opt for a chain without the bearing,ie Ls2 chain or call texas speed and explain what you have and what they reccomend.

Blue
    1979 Malibu

If I am not mistaken the LS engines have a retainer plate on order to keep the cam from moving back and forth. So if you leave the bearing out and the gear is designed to use it then the cam will have to much movement and can cause some very bad problems. So you better find out before you put it together.

pewter
    99 vette

I ended up using the torrington bearing. I called Texas Speed about it and they said it should be ok if I choose not to use it. But, I put it in anyway I have only driven the car about 3 hours on the autobahn at speeds between 100-165mph and no probs so I guess its alright lol. It didn't have any directions with it so I just put it behind the cam gear.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by MachWon View Post
    I ended up using the torrington bearing. I called Texas Speed about it and they said it should be ok if I choose not to use it. But, I put it in anyway I have only driven the car about 3 hours on the autobahn at speeds between 100-165mph and no probs so I guess its alright lol. It didn't have any directions with it so I just put it behind the cam gear.
    Good job bro!! I would say doing 100-165mph with NO issues equals YOU DID IT RIGHT!!!!!:haha

Thread Information