Thread: Help me!

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Help me!

Okay so i decided to go the heads and cam route mainly cause its cheaper than a supercharger and sounds hella mean! But i'm not sure what to pick, so many options

The car is a 02 ws6, 6 speed, with 4.10's, lt's, k&n fipk 2. The car will be daily driven but not as much and i would like to maybe reach 400hp if possible

I think it was mr.luos that recommended i get the tsp v2 cam or the 228r for my driving needs. I have heard both cams in youtube and i love the way they sound but i dont get the "lsa" deal i think the 14 has a smoother idle and i might go with that but will that have a effect on my hp gains?

what would be a good set of heads that would go with that? I know ill have to replace springs with it, but will i have to do lifters? Car only has 71k

What about oil pump? Will the TSP Ported LS6 Oil Pump be good?

I need lots of help guys!!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You should swap out lifters and oil pump, you will swap out pushrods, valvesprings, head gaskets.
    5.3 heads if your on a budget (I have some if you're interested)
    ported/milled 243's
    trickflow heads
    If you don't get 400rwhp with heads and cam you gone fucked up.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...66#post2169966

Theres some decent LSA explaination there. If you still dont get it, try calling a major Cam manufactor. They will break it down for you further/better.

LS6 port oil pump will do fine.

If you have the money, change the lifters for sure. Its cheap insurance to not have to yank the heads off again.

Budget plays a major role if head selection. PRC seem to be making good power and a decent price.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Okay so I read the sticky but ill read it again with more time and a bigger screen since I'm on my phone right now and I think I'm pretty set and my parts list goes as follows and I have more questions

Tsp 228r cam (still in question)
    Ls2 timing chain
    Ls6 ported oil pump

And for lifters I still don't know.. will the ls7 replacement lifters from texas speed be good enough? Will they fit? Or will I need something better? The next ones in price would be I believe the "comp r" from comp cams, should I just go with those?

And i will be buying heads too but will they come with upgraded springs included if their already "assembled" or would I have to buy springs too?

Any parts I'm missing? Pushrods I already have

2000 Camaro B4C

the gaskets, when i helped a friend do his HCI swap, we got the TSP Heads and Cam Gasket Kit. Had everything we needed
    2000 B4C Special Service Package Z28 - Kooks 1&7/8 Stepped 2'' - TSP Torquer V.2 - FAST 92/92 - BDR 4000 Conveter - Xtreme Trans Stage II - Full UMI Suspension - Pacesetter LT's - Comp Drag Shocks - Magnaflow - Cutout - ZO6 MAF - FTP LID - Street Tuned -

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Heres a combo that will net approximately 450-460 rwhp with your m6:

Trick Flow 215's
    TSP Torquer II
    Fast 90/90
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

get your oil pump ported (you can probably do with a round file, very easy), TB, heads and intake ported. air flow = good

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Come on guys, more help? Opinions?

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

What is your budget?

Bigger LSA will bring power in later and carry farther. I have a 230/234 cam and opted for a 111 lsa and advanced it 2* to keep power in lower rpm's and it still carries past 6500.

Yes if you buy heads they will come set up with the springs of your choosing.

Yes LS7 lifters are fine.

You will also need a new pulley bolt and head bolts as they are TTY and cannot be used again. If you are ever gonna run a UD pulley now is the time to do it. You will need fluids. I needed freon too cause I had to pull some A/C stuff that was in the way. I went ahead and did knock sensors and harnesses too because they can be prone to failure. The rest you pretty much have covered.

Oh and a LS6 pump is a good pump but I have always used melling and the 10296 melling flows more than even a ported LS6 pump for less $$$$$

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    What is your budget?

Bigger LSA will bring power in later and carry farther. I have a 230/234 cam and opted for a 111 lsa and advanced it 2* to keep power in lower rpm's and it still carries past 6500.

Yes if you buy heads they will come set up with the springs of your choosing.

Yes LS7 lifters are fine.

You will also need a new pulley bolt and head bolts as they are TTY and cannot be used again. If you are ever gonna run a UD pulley now is the time to do it. You will need fluids. I needed freon too cause I had to pull some A/C stuff that was in the way. I went ahead and did knock sensors and harnesses too because they can be prone to failure. The rest you pretty much have covered.

Oh and a LS6 pump is a good pump but I have always used melling and the 10296 melling flows more than even a ported LS6 pump for less $$$$$
    My budget is about 4k give or take.. and ill be doing work myself so there won't be any labor costs. For head bolts I'm gonna go for arp

Do you dd your car? I would like the power in the lower rpms also but a lower lsa will give me a rough idle right?

Are you still running the stock heads?

Another question, will I have to upgrade injectors?

And ill look into the ud pulley too. Thanks!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    My budget is about 4k give or take.. and ill be doing work myself so there won't be any labor costs. For head bolts I'm gonna go for arp

Do you dd your car? I would like the power in the lower rpms also but a lower lsa will give me a rough idle right?

More then likely you will have to upgrade injectors. Ford green top 42#'s work nicely and can be tuned easily.

A ARP crank bolt IMO is a good invextment, as I have now bought 3 stock crank bolt's.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    A ARP crank bolt IMO is a good invextment, as I have now bought 3 stock crank bolt's.

Are you breaking them? Or is the ARP bolt re-usable and that is why you are recommending it?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Are you breaking them? Or is the ARP bolt re-usable and that is why you are recommending it?
    Not breaking them, I had to take the pulley off and re install. The ARP can be reused. Only reason I recommended it.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 12-23-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post

#1 No because I have a Z71 too but I have put 27K on it in almost 2 years since mods. I mainly drive it on trips.... Yes it will give you a rougher idle but will still DD GREAT with a good tune... Just a little cranky when cold but otherwise as well behaved as stock....

#2 I have ported 5.3's but will PM you if you want my opinion on heads...

#3 it would be a good idea and you can find SVO (ford) redtops for the $125 range now and they flow 36lb with our 4 bar fuel system.

#4 ATI is by far the best pulley for our cars but others work just fine. ASP had some probs on the gen IV cars but seem to be ok on gen III's. I am happy with my March but is heavier than some others....

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    More then likely you will have to upgrade injectors. Ford green top 42#'s work nicely and can be tuned easily.

I might as well get the arp one already, and ill look into those injectors as well

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    #1 No because I have a Z71 too but I have put 27K on it in almost 2 years since mods. I mainly drive it on trips.... Yes it will give you a rougher idle but will still DD GREAT with a good tune... Just a little cranky when cold but otherwise as well behaved as stock....

#2 I have ported 5.3's but will PM you if you want my opinion on heads...

#3 it would be a good idea and you can find SVO (ford) redtops for the $125 range now and they flow 36lb with our 4 bar fuel system.

#4 ATI is by far the best pulley for our cars but others work just fine. ASP had some probs on the gen IV cars but seem to be ok on gen III's. I am happy with my March but is heavier than some others....
    That's cool I don't mind a rough idle and it doesn't get to cold here in Hell Paso anyways
    Please pm about heads as I'm still a little lost on that and research on my phone is a little slow. But here at work is really the only time I have time to read on this. And yea I was reading up on pullies and I read that the asp I think it was had some trouble about knocking the belt loose and I was reading good things about slp or "powerbond"?

I read up on oil pumps a bit too and I kept getting switched from the melling 10296 and the 10295, is there any difference or is the same thing? Or is the blue and red pressure springs that are different?

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

PM sent.

ATI is best pulley hands down (and lightest) out there but is $400. It is rebuildable too... IIRC the Summit pulley is a rebranded Powerbond but like $40-$50 cheaper and are fine.

The 10295 is high pressure standard volume. The 10296 is high pressure high volume. Melling claims 18% more volume. Some claim it can empty the pan but that is hogwash. Mine has been on nearly 30K.

Catolog description follows:

Description of MELLING 10296
    LS1 HI-VOLUME OIL PUMP

This is a great replacment oil pump for most applications

They boast a CNC-machined body and cover, and hardened steel gears that are up to 25 percent longer, providing additional flow to performance engines with wider bearing clearances. The inlet hole allows more oil into the pump through the bolt-on screen assembly. Their drive and idler shafts have been extended into the cover to provide additional support, to eliminate dynamic shaft deflection.

Up to 18% more flow and greater reliability.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    Heres a combo that will net approximately 450-460 rwhp with your m6:

Trick Flow 215's
    TSP Torquer II
    Fast 90/90
    +1 thats going to be my route when I get home im going to do a lsa of 112 on my cam!!!

white
    83 mustang coupe

go to racingjunk.com search ls1 heads a guy in saint port Lucille Florida has a nice set up for sale He knows his ls1's he is very easy to talk to.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

My researching has been slow due to me not having my computer at home ill be getting my car back from the body shop in about 2-3 weeks then maybe ill start the build about a month after I get it. So far I think I have everything picked out but heads well I need to look up more on heads still, I might just get some 243's and port and polish those somewhere cause $2800 for heads is a little too much for me right now

Thread Information