Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help asap

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

help asap

need help guys, my oil pressure dropped from high 20's at idel to 14psi. after i got off the highway. then on my way home it started stalling out. i got it home less then 2 miles from highway. then i got up this morning checked the oil i was down 2.5 - 3 quarts. i have no idea how that much burned up/ leaked out. changed the oil about 1.5 months ago. yes everything on the change was fine. but now i have a ticking sound like a lifter, or a bent push rod. it maybe a rod i don't know. it coming from the top of manifold to the top of the manifold on the drivers side. any idea's. please be gentle on the low oil, the digital gauge just did this the one time now i have very big problems.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

ttt anyone?

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Have you changed the oil and put fresh in to see if it stops? Low oil won't bend a pushrod, so that's out. Take it to someone reputable, when heard in person I'm sure someone can tell you exactly what it is, it's much easier than online diagnosis of a sound. Hope to hell it's not a lifter. . .I did have that problem once on another car, same situation and it went away once I filled it back up and I never heard it again

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    Have you changed the oil and put fresh in to see if it stops? Low oil won't bend a pushrod, so that's out. Take it to someone reputable, when heard in person I'm sure someone can tell you exactly what it is, it's much easier than online diagnosis of a sound. Hope to hell it's not a lifter. . .I did have that problem once on another car, same situation and it went away once I filled it back up and I never heard it again
    didn't think anyone was up. i put more oil in but same little noise like a clock tick tick tick and a little faster as i hit the gas. not to loud but noticeable. at this point a lifter is cool. them cam and heads but man i really don't need any problems i just bought all kinds of stuff for this car. i'll look more into it in the morning. please be a lifter or piston slap at this point.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

well you weren't quite ready to pull the heads yet were you? A lifter is a relatively cheap fix, but on an LS1 it's a time consumer and more expensive than traditional small blocks thanks to gaskets and bolts, still not outrageous price though if you can do it yourself. Screw what other people say, if it's a lifter just keep driving it until you are ready to pull the heads and cam.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

well you weren't quite ready to pull the heads yet were you? A lifter is a relatively cheap fix, but on an LS1 it's a time consumer and more expensive than traditional small blocks thanks to gaskets and bolts, still not outrageous price though if you can do it yourself. Screw what other people say, if it's a lifter just keep driving it until you are ready to pull the heads and cam.
    no not yet but i don't want to hurt anything else. i'm that guy that's want it to be right all the time. this car my end up costing me much but it will be right.
    i may just end up getting heads and a cam soon then. don't really have the money but i had the car put away for months, so i really want to drive it when it is nice. money will come and go but if in in debt. i know hwere it's going.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

What heads and cam do you have now? If they are something somewhat popular you can sell them and help with the cost of the new ones. None of your setup has a LOT of miles on it does it? Just don't spend useless money on fixing something that costs mroe than the fix is worth. Considering you plan on an upgrade anyways just hold of on the fix and maximize your situation. You're married right? now you have justification to get h/c sooner :firedevil since they have to come off anyways

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

What heads and cam do you have now? If they are something somewhat popular you can sell them and help with the cost of the new ones. None of your setup has a LOT of miles on it does it? Just don't spend useless money on fixing something that costs mroe than the fix is worth. Considering you plan on an upgrade anyways just hold of on the fix and maximize your situation. You're married right? now you have justification to get h/c sooner :firedevil since they have to come off anyways
    slp set up heads cam ls6 man. 445 stated by slp. but those number seem very high/ or to fly wheel. i wanted new heads, and cam anyway. but was thinking towards next spring but....... i may just start looking into a whole new set up. and the heads/ cam i have have less then 8 k on them in great shape without seeing them, but i wanted more anyway soo why not just get it know besides the money if i know where my money is going that's cool. but i just want the first problem fixed right now. then get other things later. the thing that really sucks in that before work yesterday i ordered my roll cage so i just dropped a bunch of money for this to happen so it looks like i may have some bills a little longer then wanted. but i guy at work just quit yesterday so i picked out 13 hours a week. till the end of aug. when the wife goes back to work. so i guess i'll have the money but was going to pay bills off with that. but know it may go towards the car. . just want the noise gone and for it to run right again.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Maybe someone here will step up with a good answer, besides lucas and slick 50
    I just have trouble justifying tearing into an LS1 for a lifter, since gm made it a bitch. You'll have no trouble selling SLP parts though, as much as a few people riot against them with me included sometimes, people love SLP and always will. Besides, SLP heads are actually AFR, so they should be great heads

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Maybe someone here will step up with a good answer, besides lucas and slick 50
    I just have trouble justifying tearing into an LS1 for a lifter, since gm made it a bitch. You'll have no trouble selling SLP parts though, as much as a few people riot against them with me included sometimes, people love SLP and always will. Besides, SLP heads are actually AFR, so they should be great heads
    good stuff high price that's how i see it. but i just want it right. hopefully sunday i can get the valve cover off to see if i can see anything, to gain some insight. i know with all i have already i can do better, so a weekend of time and about 3k i could have the car where i "really" want it anyway.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

What about Motor Honey? I hear that is supposed to really quiet down a noisy motor!

I wouldn't put it any thing worth more than 50 bucks though!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    my oil pressure dropped from high 20's at idel to 14psi. after i got off the highway. then on my way home it started stalling out. i got it home less then 2 miles from highway. then i got up this morning checked the oil i was down 2.5 - 3 quarts. i have no idea how that much burned up/ leaked out. changed the oil about 1.5 months ago. yes everything on the change was fine. but now i have a ticking sound like a lifter, or a bent push rod. it maybe a rod i don't know. it coming from the top of manifold to the top of the manifold on the drivers side. any idea's. please be gentle on the low oil, the digital gauge just did this the one time now i have very big problems.
    Ticking noise sounds like a rocker arm needing adjustement (sounds similar to an injector "clicking"), especially with no oil being prevalent... it'll be much easier to detect. I seriously doubt it's a rod knock, so don't worry.

I too experienced a problem of oil suddenly vanishing when I purchased my LS1 last summer (no leaks, no smoke). Valve seals, and piston rings were fine. Turned out that the thermostat was bad, and was seriously overheating (despite what the gauges were embellishing)....

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    Ticking noise sounds like a rocker arm needing adjustement (sounds similar to an injector "clicking"), especially with no oil being prevalent... it'll be much easier to detect. I seriously doubt it's a rod knock, so don't worry.

I too experienced a problem of oil suddenly vanishing when I purchased my LS1 last summer (no leaks, no smoke). Valve seals, and piston rings were fine. Turned out that the thermostat was bad, and was seriously overheating (despite what the gauges were embellishing)....
    ok that makes me feel better and actually sounds right. i'll an older school guy sbc 350, 305, and olds rocket 350. so i know most of those sounds and as soon as you said the rocker arm, i was like oh yeah duh!!!. thanks i'll update tomm. going to take value cover off. on drivers side. any hints to make it go faster?

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

ok nedd help fast i have the valve cover off the pass side. i can't seem to find anything wrong. noise sounds like it from the rear of the pass. side. any help would be great. rockers are tight and i don't see any visiable push rods bent. let me know what to do guys. thanks in advance.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

ttt lets go guys.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

anyone????? please guys i'm about to put it back together.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Pull the rocker arms and check out the pushrods. It's easy and free

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

hey thanks thats what i am in the middle of doing.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Good deal, and good luck. . .I'm sure it hurts to know it's down for a while

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

yeah i just need to get it fixed, it just really pisses me off i'm in there and can't find it. at full throttle it sounds fine i'm guessing a lifter now.

Thread Information