Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

heads: LS1 to LS6

This is a discussion on heads: LS1 to LS6 within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; 228 is your "big" small cam. Not an extreme cam at all but for stock manifolds your car will be ...

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

228 is your "big" small cam. Not an extreme cam at all but for stock manifolds your car will be feeling the squeeze. The 243's flow well as it is so definatly see about porting and milling. For your car though it can only pull in so much air, that's why people go for worked 5.3's on budget builds comp>flow in smaller cams.

Sunset Orange Metallic-M6
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I dont want to be cheap about anything. But i always thought of porting as trying to scrape up only a couple of horsepower. Why would people choose 5.3 heads insted of 243s? is it the price?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by tav8ws6 View Post
    hmmm...i was thinking a 224 would be optimal, and the 228 possibly (?) too extreme. but i dont know for sure. i wont be doing headers just yet, but will in the future.

doing work on the heads is a good idea. i think milling is shrinking the combustion chamber, but i dont know what porting is or what valve jobes (3-5 angle)?
    I'm running a small cam 220/224, from what I've been reading,and looking at I might jump up to a 228 next year. a 228 isn't too big and with a good tune and supporting mods would probably make you very happy.
    milling heads = takes material off of the head where it meets the block/ head gasket surface give you a smaller chamber and in turn bumping your compression up.
    valve job = ginding a smooth sealing surface on the valve edge and valve seat in the head.....1 angle is standard. 3 angle is better. 5 angle gives the best seal for performance
    porting = taking material out of the runners and chambers in the head to allow for better airflow/more air flow....... the more air in and out = more power

hugger orange

I dont want to be cheap about anything. But i always thought of porting as trying to scrape up only a couple of horsepower. Why would people choose 5.3 heads insted of 243s? is it the price?
    with a good port and polish job on a set of heads you can pickup 30+ hp and gains are even bigger as you build a higher hp motor.....just remember every part hurts or complements every other part

Im looking at Texas Speed cams. I think they are a good company from what I hear. 224XE, 224R, and 228R are the ones Im looking at. Id get a larger lobe separation though, i want to seem stock...sleeper!

hugger orange

Im looking at Texas Speed cams. I think they are a good company from what I hear. 224XE, 224R, and 228R are the ones Im looking at. Id get a larger lobe separation though, i want to seem stock...sleeper!
    I have a 112lsa in mine and you can definately tell, it has a pretty big lope at idle. if you run a 116lsa cam it should sound pretty close to stock.......and yours will be easier to tune

easier to tune? cant beat that. As long as ported LS6 heads and a 228 cam will be a good match with good streetablility, im set. It wont be a DD but i want it to act that way. Just gotta figure out the length of those pushrods.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

if you buy the cam new tsp will tell you. prob 7.4

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Just don't port yourself, milling would be a cheaper route and gain more power since you won't have a cam.
    anyone with a dremel, die grinder, drill and patience can do basic porting for their 346. the 346 is so easy to feed that a basic cleaning of flashing/casting spots and a good polish will yield the flow needed for 400 wheel. of course you gotta get work done to bowls for bigger valves at machine shop. . .i rev to 7200 on ls1 castings i ported myself, and have well over 400 wheel. i know its scary at first but start small with cleaning, and when you get better you'll feel more comfortable about taking the meat out. i always tell people if youre gonna have a set of castings layin around its a misewell to port 'em.
    Last edited by side2000; 05-02-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: rookie typo

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    anyone with a dremel, die grinder, drill and patience can do basic porting for their 346. the 346 is so easy to feed that a basic cleaning of flashing/casting spots and a good polish will yield the flow needed for 400 wheel. of course you gotta get work done to bowls for bigger valves at machine shop. . .i rev to 7200 on ls1 castings i ported myself, and have well over 400 wheel. i know its scary at first but start small with cleaning, and when you get better you'll feel more comfortable about taking the meat out. i always tell people if youre gonna have a set of castings layin around its a misewell to port 'em.
    its amazing how "in the zone" you get lol it took me about 5 hours to port and polish mine.....at the time it felt quick but the next day I felt those 5 hours in my hand lol

red
    2000 camaro ss

yep mindless numb handed grindin. the bud lights have to be abundant to maintain sanity but its buildin power.

I would have a hard time trusting myself with porting haha. Say I ran the 243s with a 228 cam on stock exhaust...would that cause too much stress on my motor or would it just cut my power? Ive done headers on a 98+ fbody before and its a pain so i just felt like waiting a while for them. But Ill do them first if its a necessity. Headers will be put on eventually.
    Last edited by tav8ws6; 05-03-2009 at 01:45 PM.

hugger orange

I would have a hard time trusting myself with porting haha. Say I ran the 243s with a 228 cam on stock exhaust...would that cause too much stress on my motor or would it just cut my power? Ive done headers on a 98+ fbody before and its a pain so i just felt like waiting a while for them. But Ill do them first if its a necessity. Headers will be put on eventually.
    can you run a 228 with the stock exhaust? yes you can, but it will really chock the motoer out and you won't see anywhere near the gains you would have with full flowing exhaust.
    if I were you I'd pickup a set of headers, get some and a friend, and do the exhaust first.....pain in the but, yes, but its worth it

The real pain is getting the headers to keep from banging the bottom of the car! Im going to go with American Racing Headers when i get them. I hear they are very good, and they have small Cats for better clearance.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

The real pain is getting the headers to keep from banging the bottom of the car! Im going to go with American Racing Headers when i get them. I hear they are very good, and they have small Cats for better clearance.
    I have hooker LT's, never once had a bangin issue in all of my 5 years of running them. They have some on ebay right now for $268. Kicks pacesetters ass for that price.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOOKE...1%7C240%3A1318

I was a little off, but thats the link. Hell of a steal, with the 5 years of driving I haven't had one banging noise from them. And in the 5 years of WI driving (no winter though) I have minimal rust, and I mean MINIMAL.

WOW! great pricing! But i need cats...what did you do for a Y-pipe? Alot of the time people use magnaflow high flow cats, but those suckers are huge, at least the ones I used haha

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

WOW! great pricing! But i need cats...what did you do for a Y-pipe? Alot of the time people use magnaflow high flow cats, but those suckers are huge, at least the ones I used haha
    I HAD true duals. Those bitches are in the recycling plant now no ground clearance what so ever. I will be going with magnaflow after H/C

red
    2000 camaro ss

true duals are over rated anyway. you get more low end scavenging with a 2 to 1 setup. i think 4" single setup is the best all around exhaust for these cars.

hahaha! god, i could only imagine trying to fit a 4" pipe under my car! 3" and a cat is hard enough...but Im going to have to do it.

4" and a cat...now that would be crazy!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information