Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

heads cam and whatever else

This is a discussion on heads cam and whatever else within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i am trying to get some heads and cam for my 2000 camaro ss... can anyone tell me what is ...

  1. #1
    Member saucycrossover1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    louisville ky
    Posts
    120

    black
    2000 camaro ss

    heads cam and whatever else

    i am trying to get some heads and cam for my 2000 camaro ss... can anyone tell me what is the best kind to produce 400-450 rwhp..and let me know everything i need to go with the build... dont know much about cars... need to know what all to get so i can take it to my shop.

  2. #2
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by saucycrossover1 View Post
    i am trying to get some heads and cam for my 2000 camaro ss... can anyone tell me what is the best kind to produce 400-450 rwhp..and let me know everything i need to go with the build... dont know much about cars... need to know what all to get so i can take it to my shop.
    MONEY MONEY MONEY!

    How much you got?
    That will be a start.

    You said a shop is doing the install and that costs money.

  3. #3
    LSX Tuner/Mechanic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    139

    purple
    2057 Bugatti

    To start from scratch is going to cost a pretty big penny depending on if you shop used or not. To build an engine right, this is what you'll need...
    -Longtube headers w/ Ypipe
    -Catback of your choice
    -LS6 intake (at least) since yours is a 2000
    -Lid (if you don't already have one)
    -Cylinder heads
    -Head gaskets
    -Head bolts
    -Camshaft
    -Valve springs
    -Pushrods
    -Lifters
    -Oil pump
    -LS2 timing chain
    -New clutch (if it's a manual)(
    -Under drive pulley (optional)
    -Tuning

    That's the jist of it. That parts list along with labor will get expensive.

  4. #4
    Member qwk93ta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairfield, Ohio
    Age
    54
    Posts
    944

    Black
    00 WS6

    You can also spend some money on suspension stuff....SFCs, LCAs and a torque arm.

  5. #5
    Member MeGoFast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Chitown Burbs
    Age
    52
    Posts
    157

    Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

    Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    To start from scratch is going to cost a pretty big penny depending on if you shop used or not. To build an engine right, this is what you'll need...
    -Longtube headers w/ Ypipe
    -Catback of your choice
    -LS6 intake (at least) since yours is a 2000
    -Lid (if you don't already have one)
    -Cylinder heads
    -Head gaskets
    -Head bolts
    -Camshaft
    -Valve springs
    -Pushrods
    -Lifters
    -Oil pump
    -LS2 timing chain
    -New clutch (if it's a manual)(
    -Under drive pulley (optional)
    -Tuning

    That's the jist of it. That parts list along with labor will get expensive.
    +1

    Better plan on keeping the car for quite sometime if you take this step and have to pay labor. With the suspension mods as well, you are going to put about as much into the car as its current value or more. But its tough to put a price tag on the smile you will have after its done and you press the go pedal.

  6. #6
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by MeGoFast View Post
    +1

    Better plan on keeping the car for quite sometime if you take this step and have to pay labor. With the suspension mods as well, you are going to put about as much into the car as its current value or more. But its tough to put a price tag on the smile you will have after its done and you press the go pedal.
    That is why I stress to everyone if you can do the mods yourself the go pedal has a better feel knowing you did the work!

  7. #7
    Member saucycrossover1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    louisville ky
    Posts
    120

    black
    2000 camaro ss

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by MeGoFast View Post
    +1

    Better plan on keeping the car for quite sometime if you take this step and have to pay labor. With the suspension mods as well, you are going to put about as much into the car as its current value or more. But its tough to put a price tag on the smile you will have after its done and you press the go pedal.
    I paid 11,500 for my car I b damned if I spend that for heads n cam install

  8. #8
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by saucycrossover1 View Post
    I paid 11,500 for my car I b damned if I spend that for heads n cam install
    How many miles where on the car that seems high!

  9. #9
    Member saucycrossover1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    louisville ky
    Posts
    120

    black
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    How many miles where on the car that seems high!
    36,000. I got 39,000 on it now

  10. #10
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by saucycrossover1 View Post
    36,000. I got 39,000 on it now
    Ok that makes more sense. I bought mine 3 years ago with 39k on it for 11500 as well.

    About the mods.
    I would research EVERYTHING you can so you don't waste your money. Buy what you are willing to used to save money. Install yourself what you are comfortable with.

    Is this car your d/d?

    Do you have basic tools?

    Do you have a jack and stands?

  11. #11
    Member saucycrossover1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    louisville ky
    Posts
    120

    black
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    Ok that makes more sense. I bought mine 3 years ago with 39k on it for 11500 as well.

    About the mods.
    I would research EVERYTHING you can so you don't waste your money. Buy what you are willing to used to save money. Install yourself what you are comfortable with.

    Is this car your d/d?

    Do you have basic tools?

    Do you have a jack and stands?
    It is my daily driver..but I plan on putting it up for the winter.I have a friend that has a lift and he works out of his garage said he could do the install but he is always so busy I. Don't want him rushin and half ass it. How much on average would a shop charge me u think..I only have around 2500 to spend

  12. #12
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by saucycrossover1 View Post
    It is my daily driver..but I plan on putting it up for the winter.I have a friend that has a lift and he works out of his garage said he could do the install but he is always so busy I. Don't want him rushin and half ass it. How much on average would a shop charge me u think..I only have around 2500 to spend
    2500 will go quick!
    You figure if you are doing a cam only install the price would be $600 in labor and around $800 for a cam kit.
    That is half your money already

    www.ls1howto.com
    check out that website. I did my cam swap in my garage without a lift following those directions

    I assume the car is bone stock?

    If so you are going to need supporting mods first before you put the cam in
    ls6 intake or better
    full exhaust
    Can't remember if you are automatic if so a converter is a must

    All depends on where you want to take the car.

  13. #13
    Member saucycrossover1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    louisville ky
    Posts
    120

    black
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    2500 will go quick!
    You figure if you are doing a cam only install the price would be $600 in labor and around $800 for a cam kit.
    That is half your money already

    www.ls1howto.com
    check out that website. I did my cam swap in my garage without a lift following those directions

    I assume the car is bone stock?

    If so you are going to need supporting mods first before you put the cam in
    ls6 intake or better
    full exhaust
    Can't remember if you are automatic if so a converter is a must

    All depends on where you want to take the car.
    Yes the car is bone stock..and I am gettin slp loudmouth 1 before anything...I waanted around 400to 450rwhp..and yes I'm automatic..link me to where I can buy a ls6 intake plz

  14. #14
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by saucycrossover1 View Post
    Yes the car is bone stock..and I am gettin slp loudmouth 1 before anything...I waanted around 400to 450rwhp..and yes I'm automatic..link me to where I can buy a ls6 intake plz
    taking to pm for links

  15. #15
    Member MeGoFast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Chitown Burbs
    Age
    52
    Posts
    157

    Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

    Quote Originally Posted by saucycrossover1 View Post
    I paid 11,500 for my car I b damned if I spend that for heads n cam install
    Yeah I didnt think you paid that much, low miles help a bit.

    Looking around Head and Cam packages with Patriot heads are around $1900. That LS6 intake, 11 qts of oil, 2 oil filters, plugs, plug wires and radiator fluid and misc puts you right at your $2500 and it has not been installed yet.

    The good is with your low miles you can probably get away with same oil pump, lifters and rockers. So yeah I guess you can get close for that money but you have not touched the trans, no rear end gearing change or upgrade, have no Subframe connectors, have no driveshaft safety loop, and no suspension mods to help put the power down, no pulley upgrade and no exhaust upgrade and you still have not had it tuned for that $2500. But you did ask what you needed to make 400 to 450hp and not how to do it right so my bad.

  16. #16
    Member saucycrossover1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    louisville ky
    Posts
    120

    black
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by MeGoFast View Post
    Yeah I didnt think you paid that much, low miles help a bit.

    Looking around Head and Cam packages with Patriot heads are around $1900. That LS6 intake, 11 qts of oil, 2 oil filters, plugs, plug wires and radiator fluid and misc puts you right at your $2500 and it has not been installed yet.

    The good is with your low miles you can probably get away with same oil pump, lifters and rockers. So yeah I guess you can get close for that money but you have not touched the trans, no rear end gearing change or upgrade, have no Subframe connectors, have no driveshaft safety loop, and no suspension mods to help put the power down, no pulley upgrade and no exhaust upgrade and you still have not had it tuned for that $2500. But you did ask what you needed to make 400 to 450hp and not how to do it right so my bad.
    No I want to do it right..wats the price range you think?

  17. #17
    LSX Tuner/Mechanic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    139

    purple
    2057 Bugatti

    You're not going to make "400-450hp" without the supporting engine bolt ons to compliment your heads/cam.

    And FWIW, Patriot heads are decent but their cams are garbage.

  18. #18
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    You're not going to make "400-450hp" without the supporting engine bolt ons to compliment your heads/cam.

    And FWIW, Patriot heads are decent but their cams are garbage.
    I agree with both points.

    For the 2500 I would start with the intake and exhaust. I think you can do that yourself over a weekend to save you some money. Then get a converter that would put you at more seat of the pants power.

  19. #19
    Member saucycrossover1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    louisville ky
    Posts
    120

    black
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by MeGoFast View Post
    Yeah I didnt think you paid that much, low miles help a bit.

    Looking around Head and Cam packages with Patriot heads are around $1900. That LS6 intake, 11 qts of oil, 2 oil filters, plugs, plug wires and radiator fluid and misc puts you right at your $2500 and it has not been installed yet.

    The good is with your low miles you can probably get away with same oil pump, lifters and rockers. So yeah I guess you can get close for that money but you have not touched the trans, no rear end gearing change or upgrade, have no Subframe connectors, have no driveshaft safety loop, and no suspension mods to help put the power down, no pulley upgrade and no exhaust upgrade and you still have not had it tuned for that $2500. But you did ask what you needed to make 400 to 450hp and not how to do it right so my bad.
    Soo to do it right, about how much money we talkkin?

  20. #20
    Senior Member Hurley711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,362

    414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

    Just a thought since you said you were gonna put it up for the winter, how bout wait until the winter to do the cam swap on your friends lift? You said you were both really busy and you don't want him half assing it well if you both have all winter to slowly chip away at it that will be beneficial to you saving install money and taking your time.

    Also allows time to save up a few more $$$ for parts, you have $2500 now maybe knock out the expensive heads/cam/LS6 manifold parts now and then save up for headers and catback over the winter and do that stuff next spring. BTW I would think twice about the SLP LM with headers heads and cam, the car is going to be REALLY REALLY loud check LS1sounds.com for soundclips.

    I would also look into a budget head/cam combo from Texas Speed, those guys are solid over there and can hook you up with a nice setup to meet your goals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 03:00 PM
  3. AFR heads VS. Ported and beefed up stock heads.
    By hutcher04 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 09:27 AM
  4. New Heads or Port/Polish Stock Heads?
    By Black02LS1 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 12:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •