Black
    LSx'ed Nissan Pickup :D

Heads, Cam & Pistons

I am going to drop off my LS1 block at the machine shop Friday to see if it can be honed out. If it's to far gone I guess I'll be picking up a 6.0L block, but for now I hope I can save the cash for something else and build a 5.7L LS1

the motor is going into a weekend warrior on historic tags that I don't have a problem running CAM2 or 110octane in 24/7

I was thinking about running the Trick Flow 515hp Top end kit on my rebuilt LS1 and 12:1 compression.

Is my goal of 500RWHP With Stock rods, Long tubes, 3.73 gears and a 4BBl Carb intake manifold to much?

I was also looking at the PRC heads but not sure which way to go there, but price is right.

Also, the vehicles weight is fairly low, so I'd be more than willing to give up some torque in the name of braking the 500WHP mark

Any suggestions on a Head, Cam & piston combo to get to 500WHP would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first all motor build, and my first American muscle build, In the past I have only played with 3.0L imports where all we have are stock heads, and the name of the game is he with the biggest turbo wins.
    Last edited by 1fastkingcab; 05-20-2009 at 06:29 PM.

hugger orange

there is atleast one guy on here running the Trick Flow 515 package, he dynoed out at i think 440rwhp and around 400tq, but i think he is stock bottom end.
    hopefully he will see this and answer any of your questions.
    why did you want to go with a carb instead of fuel injection?
    is this for the Nissan and if it is what year is it?
    years ago I had an 88 extened cab and an old olds 350 rocket laying there so with a good bit of cutting and welding i dropped it in there....God that thing was fun

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

You will have no problem hitting 500 RWHP with your plan. The TrickFlow Package has been very reliable and has great drivability. The only slight issue is its pretty expensive and lacks a bit in torque. Let me know if you have any questions....my mods are in my signature and my dyno numbers are under my avatar. Just so you know, my numbers are with out LT headers!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

With 12 to 1 compression - assuming you can get the octane to support it, you should have no problem hitting your mark with the trickflow kit. The key for driveability will be in the tune.

The PRC heads are nice units too but the cost isn't very different, trickflow make s nice stuff and it's a matched set, I say go for it.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    there is atleast one guy on here running the Trick Flow 515 package, he dynoed out at i think 440rwhp and around 400tq, but i think he is stock bottom end.
    hopefully he will see this and answer any of your questions.
    why did you want to go with a carb instead of fuel injection?
    is this for the Nissan and if it is what year is it?
    years ago I had an 88 extened cab and an old olds 350 rocket laying there so with a good bit of cutting and welding i dropped it in there....God that thing was fun
    What is the stock compression ratio? 10.5:1?
    I am going with the carb setup because I got this LS1 that I'm building out of a burned up C5 Vette and the intake manifold, injectors and most of the sensors where toast. I plan to run the carb for a while, and then swap the Carb for a big 4bbl throttle body and isntall injectors into the 4bbl intake manifold.

The truck is a 1995 kingcab, 300ZX trans, ford 8.8 rear, 5 lug converted, and has had a 500+WHP Nissan VG30DE-TT in it for about a year, I want to try something diffrent W/ a little bit more torque. My current motor makes over 560WHP on race gas from 4000-6000rpm, and is barley making 180WHP at 3800RPM. I'd really like to trade a few top end ponys for more bottom end torque. you LS guys would get a good chuckle out of my dyno sheets.

Black

I am also considering the trick flow 215 heads, and a little bit more cam like the MS3, MS4 or TSP Tsunami and being a little more conservative with the compression so I can still run pump gas if I want

Honestly I have never shopped for heads before, import heads cost so much no one buys them I'm used to just spending more on boost products and forcing the air through the heads

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastkingcab View Post
    What is the stock compression ratio? 10.5:1?
    I am going with the carb setup because I got this LS1 that I'm building out of a burned up C5 Vette and the intake manifold, injectors and most of the sensors where toast. I plan to run the carb for a while, and then swap the Carb for a big 4bbl throttle body and isntall injectors into the 4bbl intake manifold.

The truck is a 1995 kingcab, 300ZX trans, ford 8.8 rear, 5 lug converted, and has had a 500+WHP Nissan VG30DE-TT in it for about a year, I want to try something diffrent W/ a little bit more torque. My current motor makes over 560WHP on race gas from 4000-6000rpm, and is barley making 180WHP at 3800RPM. I'd really like to trade a few top end ponys for more bottom end torque. you LS guys would get a good chuckle out of my dyno sheets.
    if you want to go carbed, there is no problem doing so, but you would be suprised at the deals you can get on the ls6 intakes with injectors and rails, plus Painless wiring and a few others out there make kits to drop an LS1 in a different vechical and easily wire it up

Black

But will I be able to hit my 500WHP goal with just a LS6 intake & stock injectors? I was under the assumption I would need larger injectors a FAST intake and a larger throttle body.

Thread Information