Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Heads and Cam packages?

This is a discussion on Heads and Cam packages? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Yeah, that's what I'm going to do....

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Noise seems to be getting louder (maybe I'm just paranoid). But I'm pretty worried about it. I may not be able to afford the cam if I have to get it fixed right away... This sux.. are 243s compatible with the stock cam?
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yes, but that's a lot of money to put towards heads to keep a stock cam.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Man, tell me about it. I'm still going to try to swing the cash for the cam... I just hope my car holds out long enough for everything to work out.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Thanks everyone, for all the input so far

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    They were and as Will points out they also came on several other vehicles as wheel.

243 heads can be found on the following vehicles:

LS6's
    2001–2004 Chevrolet Corvette C5 Z06
    2004–2005 Cadillac CTS V-Series

LS2's
    2005–2006 Pontiac GTO
    2005–2006 Chevrolet SSR
    2005–2007 Chevrolet Corvette
    2006–2007 Cadillac CTS V-Series
    2006–2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS

4.8/5.3/LQ4/LQ9 truck engines

05 to 07 depending on which block started using LS6 heads.

Also 799 heads are the same as 243's but do not come with the sodium valves.

317 heads also = the flow of 243/799 heads except the valves are larger. If you are looking at a future turbo/supercharger build 317's are a very popular choice.

Correct 97-98 ls1's have that PITA valve cover bolt pattern. swapping over to 99< heads means new valve covers and coil bracket too. (cost about $30)

There are some great deals on covers, just need to keep an eye out for them. I pick up a pair just recently for $70
    Okay, so I'm thinking about picking up a head/cam package from Texas-Speed. They list several options for springs. The default option is LS6 springs. Based on the above, will these springs be okay with a 228R cam? Or do I need the something after market? PRC 1518, for example? Anyway, they offer the set up with a few options. The LS2 roller chain and a few different options for oil pumps. They have their brand name oil pump for $190, and two different Melling Oil Pumps (High pressure for $130, and High volume for $150). Not sure which one is more appropriate for what I'm going for.

Long terms goals are full induction/exhaust upgrades, heads and cam.

Also, while I'm thinking of these things, will the stock clutch hold up to the increase in power?

I forgot to update. The setup in my sig made 414rwhp / 387rwt. I also have the stock clutch still to answer your above question.
    Last edited by Mike0202; 04-18-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Right on. Those are some nice numbers. I bet she flys, now, huh? Thanks for the update. It's like a ghost town around here lately.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Thanks everyone, for all the input so far

Okay, so I'm thinking about picking up a head/cam package from Texas-Speed. They list several options for springs. The default option is LS6 springs. Based on the above, will these springs be okay with a 228R cam? Or do I need the something after market? PRC 1518, for example? Anyway, they offer the set up with a few options. The LS2 roller chain and a few different options for oil pumps. They have their brand name oil pump for $190, and two different Melling Oil Pumps (High pressure for $130, and High volume for $150). Not sure which one is more appropriate for what I'm going for.

Long terms goals are full induction/exhaust upgrades, heads and cam.

Also, while I'm thinking of these things, will the stock clutch hold up to the increase in power?
    If your getting the a package deal fro TS&P I'd ask them what they recommend for springs or you could ask Jodi what springs she ran with her 228 cam.

From my research into which oil pump to get everything has told me that the

Melling High Pressure Pump Part #10295 - great upgrade over the LS6 op.

Melling High Volume Pump Part #10296 - has a larger gear to deliver increased flow (volume), It comes with two springs to set pressure at either: (a) stock pressure levels; or (b) stock pressure +10 psi (the blue spring that come with the 10296 pump is the softer spring), some are saying the 10296 is designed to clear a double roller without the use of spacers between the block and pump, but that is debated, along with whether or not the 10296 can drain the oil pan on high rpm runs.

I would ask TS&P or whoever you are purchasing your cam& heads from and ask which is better for your use/needs

Right on. Those are some nice numbers. I bet she flys, now, huh? Thanks for the update. It's like a ghost town around here lately.
    Should be mid 11's at around 120. It still drives close to stock and gets 20/29 mpg.

Heres everything you need
    http://www.fquick.com/garages/Pontia...S6/1998/33156/

Vid

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

If your getting the a package deal fro TS&P I'd ask them what they recommend for springs or you could ask Jodi what springs she ran with her 228 cam.

From my research into which oil pump to get everything has told me that the

Melling High Pressure Pump Part #10295 - great upgrade over the LS6 op.

Melling High Volume Pump Part #10296 - has a larger gear to deliver increased flow (volume), It comes with two springs to set pressure at either: (a) stock pressure levels; or (b) stock pressure +10 psi (the blue spring that come with the 10296 pump is the softer spring), some are saying the 10296 is designed to clear a double roller without the use of spacers between the block and pump, but that is debated, along with whether or not the 10296 can drain the oil pan on high rpm runs.

I would ask TS&P or whoever you are purchasing your cam& heads from and ask which is better for your use/needs
    Thank you, sir.

I will ask them, as well as my shop. I always feel better when I've confirmed something through multiple sources, so thank you for that info on the pumps.

As I was researching heads/cams at TS&P, it occurred to me that I might be able to just pick up the cam with appropriate valve train components, saving myself about $1000, so I'm looking into that, as well, though I'm still hoping to be able to swing the whole set up. I think I've read about some cam-only set ups on here, but I'm not sure if those all used the LS6 manifold, or 99+ heads, etc...
    Last edited by Naaman; 04-22-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Should be mid 11's at around 120. It still drives close to stock and gets 20/29 mpg.

Heres everything you need
    http://www.fquick.com/garages/Pontia...S6/1998/33156/

Vid
    Right on. Thanks for the list

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Ticking noise - This needs to be found what is causing this first. It could be something simple as a exhaust leak or as expensive as a rod bearing going bad. Depending on what it is depends on what you need to do.
    Sometime in the next few weeks, I'm going to be taking my car into the local performance shop and have them isolate the noise. I am personally leaning toward it being something in the valvetrain, though on their initial check, they said it could even be a rod bearing (or lifter, or push rod, etc). If that's the case, I'm considering picking up a stroker. But if it turns out to be the valvetrain, I'm going planning on the 228 with 243s.

Once I get it isolated, I'll post back here with findings. The info posted in this thread has been extremely helpful to me. I really appreciate it.

Quick question: Because I like to be as informed as possible going into a situation, I want to get some advice on rotating assemblies. Should I start a new thread, or just roll with this one? Basically, I want to get info/advice on whether I should get a stroker or just a balanced rotating assembly, forged or cast etc. Power goals are 450-500 horsepower, with as much area under the curve as possible, while still being reliable and practicle enough for daily driving.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quick question: Because I like to be as informed as possible going into a situation, I want to get some advice on rotating assemblies. Should I start a new thread, or just roll with this one? Basically, I want to get info/advice on whether I should get a stroker or just a balanced rotating assembly, forged or cast etc. Power goals are 450-500 horsepower, with as much area under the curve as possible, while still being reliable and practicle enough for daily driving.
    Keep it in this thread so others can see all the info.

If you have a spun bearing, you might as well throw a stroker kit into it. If the crank is ruin it's going to cost close the same as a storker kit when you are all done. TS&P has some good package deals on stroker kits.

You power goals are very achievable, it all depends on what way you get there. Hell a 150 shot of N2O will get you there on stock parts, (may not last long, but you'll be there )

For maintaining a budget most ppl will do the heads & cam at the same time. Reason being is tuning. Both require it and doing it at the same time just saves you $$ later.

My recommendation on what you posted so far is:

Tight Budget - have the crank checked out, if it is reusable, new rods & bearings. Throw in a cam/heads oil pump & timing chain.

What Budget? - Stroker, stroker, Stroker!!!! Better/bigger cam & heads

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Stroker is so tempting, since one of the best things in the world is getting smacked in the chest by G-forces on snap-throttle acceleration

TS&P has full rotating assemblies starting at $1600 for the 383 including a forged crank. I figure if I have to pay $100+ per hour for a tear down, might as well make sure when it goes back together, it doesn't need to come back apart again.

Navy Blue Metallic

wow I'd be a rich man at that rate....

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Texas speed!!! As stated above, they have at least 4 different magic stick cams with matching heads for all. They get more hp out of these set ups than anyone.
    2001 WS.6, Borla Adj cat back exhaust, Borla Twin Tips, BBK shorties, High Flow Cats, Y Pipe, UMI strut tower brace, SLP Lid + K&N Filter, Smooth bellow,85mm MAF, Polished Throttle Body, Hurst gumball knob, Hood wrap with Black Stripes, Frost Tune.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I would personally go with AI before I would consider going with TSP as far as head and cam packages go. For rotating assemblies I would do TSP if you have to.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

AI? I probably know what that stands for... but it's not coming to me.

So far, I've got it narrowed down to a package deal from TS&P...

If I had all the money right now, it would be:
    -383 forged and balanced
    -228R cam (maybe bigger, given the longer stroke)
    -243 heads, ported

All that with long tubes and ORY to follow.

Alas... I have to go incrementally (which is also part of the fun), so depending on what is broken, that's what will get replaced.
    Last edited by Naaman; 06-18-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Get a custom grind cam spec'd to your build.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I'd love to, depending on the cost. Also, my goals are fairly simple, so it would seem like there are plenty of pre-made choices out there already that my custom grind would likely duplicate (?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information