N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

heads&cam going in soon

well i just received the shipment, and i plan on tackling it head on with a buddy and alot of beer, maybe some chics will show up and get dirty too who knows should i be aware or particularly careful with any part of the install thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, don't drink beer and tear your motor down.

Are you doing an oil pump too? If so, don't pinch the o-ring putting the tube back in and don't drop the bolt for the pickup tube into the oil pan. I put a rag in the oil pan to catch the bolt in case I dropped it but I didn't drop it.
    Make sure you spend plenty of time getting the old head gaskets off and don't use anything sharp that might gouge the block surface. Spend plenty of time getting those bolt holes clean and dry. Don't leave ANY coolant in those holes.
    Take a shop vac and after your water pump is off use the shop vac to suck the coolant out of the heads. It'll cut your mess in half when you lift the heads off. I got almost all the coolant out of my heads by doing that.
    Be careful when sliding your cam in. Don't force it and don't rattle it around to much, you'll knick the bearings. Put 3 of the long water pump bolts in the end of the cam for leverage and then just ease it in. You'll know when it's passing through the bearings.

There's more stuff but I'm tired. I'll pick it up tomorrow if others don't join in.

Have fun with it. It's a great feeling of accomplishment when it's all over.

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by stangslayer98 View Post
    well i just received the shipment, and i plan on tackling it head on with a buddy and alot of beer, maybe some chics will show up and get dirty too who knows should i be aware or particularly careful with any part of the install thanks
    Which heads and cam did you decide to go with?

black
    1998 trans am

i went with prc 2.5 heads and torquer 2 cam......today we started late and only worked 2 hours into the install, we got the condensor, radiator and water pump out, ran into a road block with the crank pulley as we dont have the three prong puller or a decent breaker bar so we stopped there, hopefully tomorrow we can get the cam in and start on the heads thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

make an installer tool for that balancer when you put it back on....don't try to push it on with the bolt because you're gambling with your crank threads. I've read several horror stories doing it that way. You can buy everything you need to make an install tool for ~$20 or so. I'd have to look up the thread stock size but I think it's M16x2.0 pitch. Then you just need several washers and 3 nuts and you can push it on with those. I also put mine in the oven for a few minutes at 200 degrees to help it go on and I didn't have any problems with mine.

black
    1998 trans am

well we got the crank bolt loose using a six foot fence pole, an installer tool we were gonna use the old bolt too slide it in slowly, also i have the asp pulley thanks

Thread Information