Thread: Heads

red
    1998 pontiac transam ws6

Heads

is there a huge diff bet "LS1 Patriot LS6 "Style" 5.7L Stage III Heads"
    or regular ls6 heads off a 02 vette , i do plan on getting the procharger soon and was wondering if that would make any difference,, if anyone has any idea please let me know, thanks bros. by the way the question is for a 98 ws6 and cant deside witch heads.. thanks again

Silver
    2002 WS6 TA

Get a hold of Bob at exotic performance. If you procharge with good heads you will burn a hole in your piston or bust some rings if you run 8 PSI. I will be getting a D1SC and a Spec III put in in 3-4 weeks. RWHP on a Mustang dyno he averages 520+ at 8 PSI.

Silver
    2002 WS6 TA

Oh if you procharge first then you can build a 402 block for 5-8 K and push 800HP.

red
    1998 pontiac transam ws6

the problem is i dont know a good place in ottawa, and from what i have been reading seems like hes down in the U.S, i read the sticky on it, very well done, but as far as heads go do you think there is a big difference between those 2? because the ls6 heads would cost me 1000from someone and the stage III patriot heads would cost me about 1800 in canada , i was wondering if there is a difference and is it worth the extra cash .. thanks again

Silver
    2002 WS6 TA

If you get the heads and procharge without building the Block it will blow.

red
    1998 pontiac transam ws6

thanks guys i guess its gonna take a lil longer than expected..

black
    1999 z28 camaro

Hey Champain, have you looked at LMPerformance.com they have patriot ls6 heads stage 3 bare for $1045 and assy for $1295 for $1800 you can get a head and cam combo..

Joel

red
    1998 pontiac transam ws6

hey Joel, i actually just had a look at them , i like them , but would you consider that "building the Block" or is there more to do after that, because i had a look at procharger and it sais i could procharge it with stock motor, so i dont get how if i change the heads without building the Block the motor will blow is what i was told, or do you i think i misunderstood? sorry guys im lost as .... thanks for all your help tho

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 1flynDO View Post
    Ya this is false. I got a friend who's had a Procharger on his hawk for years. Ohh and if goin the blower route you want the truck 6.0 heads as they lower the compression.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Ya this is false. I got a friend who's had a Procharger on his hawk for years. Ohh and if goin the blower route you want the truck 6.0 heads as they lower the compression.
    +1. I wouldn't go with the ls6 style heads cause they've had problems with oil leak from cracked welds.
    Last edited by UTVols98; 07-30-2008 at 12:39 AM.

LOL

Its all about how much power you're gonna push through that bottom end. If you upgrade to a better head and still run over 8psi, yea it'll most likely spill its guts eventually. If you upgrade the heads but run, say 4psi, it'd be fine.

With a boosted car its always easier to just turn the boost up by swapping a pulley to make power....than spend a couple thousand on upgrading the heads. If you were to build a stronger bottom end, then yea down the road it'd be a good idea to swap to an aftermarket casting head such as AFR.

As far as LS6 heads go, why would you want to RAISE the compression if you're going with a Procharger? Not the best head choice.

6.0 truck heads are a good choice for a stock bottom end / blower setup.

red
    1998 pontiac transam ws6

hey thanks guys. would you say the patriot stage II cnc ported heads are a good choice?

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

The stage 2's have a smaller cc than stage I or III's. I'd look into some 72 or 76cc chambered heads.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by champain View Post
    hey thanks guys. would you say the patriot stage II cnc ported heads are a good choice?
    No. For several reasons.

Silver
    2002 WS6 TA

Listen if you think I am FOS call Bob at exotic performane or look him up on LS1tech. You can put heads and cam with the procharger but you will not run 8PSI for long. If you cam and head the block and increase the boost let me know when you buy the new engine. You can run 8PSI with the stock heads, cam and intake because it is some what restricted.

With stock engine and good exhaust, clutch he claims to put 500-520 RWHP with a D1SC at 8 PSI. Good luck getting that with what you are looking at and keeping it a daily driver with decent milage.

The bottom is fine for this. Bob has cars running near 900-1000hp on a stock LS 1 crank.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

The block is probably the least of your worry's on a stock bottom end LS1 running 8 PSI. There are a million things that could/would/should go wrong before the block "blows"
    Exactly, Those heads your looking at is not what you want to go with if you are SERIOUSLY planning on charging this engine in some way in the near future. You do NOT want to raise your compression any more thatn what it is right now... really want to lower it.

Listen if you think I am FOS call Bob at exotic performane or look him up on LS1tech. You can put heads and cam with the procharger but you will not run 8PSI for long. If you cam and head the block and increase the boost let me know when you buy the new engine. You can run 8PSI with the stock heads, cam and intake because it is some what restricted.

With stock engine and good exhaust, clutch he claims to put 500-520 RWHP with a D1SC at 8 PSI. Good luck getting that with what you are looking at and keeping it a daily driver with decent milage.

The bottom is fine for this. Bob has cars running near 900-1000hp on a stock LS 1 crank.
    Im sure Bob has this and that, thats great and all.

Please dont hand over mis guided information to the OP if you dont know exactly what you are talking about.

You CAN put heads and cam on a STOCK LS1 block had charge the hell out of it and have it be perfectly fine. People do it all the time. LOWER the compression, get a custom grind cam with a specific grind for blowers and bam-o...

You just "cammed and headed" you block? and are running some serious power with absolutely nothing to worry about.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

If you boost it you want a lower cr- 9.1 or so from what I've read. So higher cc heads is good. EPP has a cam as well for the prochargers...somewhere around 232/240 .595/.608 115lsa. That cam sounds pretty tough with the prochargers. You can get those heads (patriots or which ever you choose) with a higher cc and a good blower cam and stock internals and still run 8 psi....just how long is unknown but if you want to run more than that safely you better get some forged internals.

Silver
    2002 WS6 TA

You will not Blow the Engine but burn a hole in a piston or wreck the rings. The OP sounded like he was planning to H/C for HP and then supercharge. That would be bad. If you have the right cam with the right heads and the right PSI you are fine. Why would you spend the money on the Procharger and a tune..... for less boost not more.

If you procharge and then build a block forged bottom end .... Then you can up the boost even more and have more HP. This would make more sense than wasting money on the wrong combination and having to do it twice.

Thread Information