Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head R&R

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Head R&R

Had soem big issues with my car. I am pretty sure I am going to have to pull the heads. Not going to go into big detail on that.

What info I am looking for is
    Is there a particular manufature(s) that I should look at for replacement parts.
    I figure taht since i am going to have to pull the heads and will have to pull them again at a leter date for othe reasons that I will just get head studs instead of bolts so that I can reuse them and not buy them time after time ect etc etc. Thiking ARP. But Thunder Racing sells a set for a bit cheaper(20 less i think), are they just as good?

Head gasket? Any particular brand? I figure I can get a good OEM one and still be cheaper than the GM OEM one.

If i have a bad lifter... Comp cams OE replacment lifters?(i will probably just get a used set off of ebay but not sure yet)

While i have all this apart was thinking new pushrods.. Comp Cams Chrome moly? or someone have a better sugestion....

That about what I am looking at.

I hope that my cam isn't damaged though... didn't want to get a new one just yet since X-mas is around the corner and what not...but if it is i am proably going to get a CheaTR cam package with the dual spings titanium retainers and what not for 799.....

I have done some extensive reading on cams but i don't think that i can get much more ecept from actual trial of differant cams so screw it i am just going to use the CheaTR. It was recommended by a freind/shop owner. So i will take his advice on it i think... But I am always open to hear others thoughts too.

Thanks for the help guys.... and gals too :P

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

bump....

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

head studs aren't necessary. i run ARP head bolts on my motor. they are reuseable.

use the GM MLS gasket.

lifters, look into the crane OE style replacement as well.

any chrome moly pushrod will do. look in your other thread. if you end up going with the vinci/crane accelerated lift rocker kit, it comes with pushrods.

the cheatr cam is a good one to go with.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

OKay so i almost have the intake manifold completly off with one exception. I cannot get one cable off the back, you can see the cable int the back. anyone know haw to get it off?
    I tried pulling on it but it would come off and i don't want to break something.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

bump

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Well I guess I will just yank a little more on the sucker to see what happens.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

yep. that's a vacuum line. just need to tug a little harder.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Yea i got it shortly after i posted. Thanks

No i just have to figure out how to get the lower 4 heads bolts off since the exhaust manifold is in the way. I don't have a 15MM deep socket so i can't get the exhaust manifold->catylitic converter bolts(nuts) undone. Sprayed em with WD40 tongith to let it soak in so when i get the socket tomarrow i can get them off easier....but boy are the rusty looking. once the maifold is off i can get the last four bolts from the drivers side off and the head on the drivers side is good to go. then i can examine that side in more detail. I'll post picture if i find anythig crazy looking. I am pretty much expecting to have to get new lifters. I plan on going with Comp OE replacement. From the infor i have gathered off this site they look the best for the application that i want to go for(400RWHP). But since ihave not ordered them yet i will still take suggestions too... Anyone?...?
    Last edited by Phlash_riot; 11-03-2006 at 09:25 PM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

look at the crane OE style lifters. some will recommend the morel lifters.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Well it's not a lifter that I can tell. I just got the drivers side head off and I see a nice little indent on the piston from one from the valves... Great. So no i have to figure out if i need a new piston and if i do where to get one just like it.. Since i have a piston gouge I know i have a bent valve. so I will need a new one of those. Well it could be worse i guess could have a hole in the piston. The bent valve would explain the hesitation that it had and the ticking... i must have bottom out again so that is why it got worse.

The piston is #5(RD on back on drivers side) the one that was reporting a error message in Autotap of a misfire so that explains that too.

Can i file the piston? Can i run with this piston with out too much worry? Or do i HAVE to take it out an look at it.

Alot depends on how hard the valve hit. Sometimes you can just clean it up and go. Can you post photo of damaged piston?

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Yea I'll get some photos. Be kinda hard to see in photo with all the carbon build up.. Try to clean it up a bit first.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

uploading the pictures right now will have them up in a secound or two. Upon further exam I have piston #7 has a indent into it as well. not nearly as bed though.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Alright here we go. The pictures start off with CYL 1. all theses are the drivers side bank

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

I know that 5 and 7 are kinda blurry but these are the best that i could get with out gettign to far back

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Well didn't get the passanget side off tonight. Having a wonderful time with it... wait...no, no I'm not. I can get the oil dipstick tube off. I have it unbolted from the CYL head but it won't pull out.... is there something else holding/attaching it to the engine? It was my understanding that it should come right out once it was disconnected from the head. I have about half the bolts ready to come out on that head then i can look at the other side. The A/C parts are really getting in my nerves. I really want to rip out the A/C right now but I know that I will regret it later though. It is my understandign that if you yank it out its a exspesive precess to get it back up and running. I don't have a evacuator so I would have to take it to a shop to be done.. Do you ahve to have a license to buy R-134A like you used to ahve to buy R-12?

What really slowing me down is it's hard to lean ofer when you ahve metel rods in your spine from a motorcylce wreck....

So I guess what I am trying to say is if there are any of you that can lend a hand tomarrow sometime in the afternoon. Would like to have them off tomarrow so I can take them to Overkill Motorsports for them to take a look at what I have so i can get this bad boy up and running again. Drop me a line if oyu can. I am in the Point Loma Area of San Diego near the Marine Corp Recuit Depot(MCRD).
    I will be home from Church about 1300 or so. Just PM me so i can give you my phone #

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

no, there is nothing else holding the dipstick tube. just gotta pull hard.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Well got the passanger side head off now. and i have some scaring on CYL 4 and 6 (2nd and 3rd on back on passanger side respectivly). Not too bad a little bit les than what was on cyl 7. I am going to grind down the sharp rise on the piston for cyl 5 so that it is flat and doesn't creat a hot spot on the edge that could cause pre ingnition. Unfortunatly it is not a steel piston so i can grab the shavings with a magnet but i will do the best that i cna with cannned compressed air. THen get a new set of heads( i have 853 I want 241) wich will probalby be cheaper than gettign 4 new valves and all the valve work that would go along with it all. all the lifters seem to be good only one was i able to VERY slightly move by pressing hard on it in my hand and thumb but i think it will be OK. Couple of slightly bent pushrods so i will replace them with chrome moly and i will be getting a new set of springs problaby hte Comp 918s or the patrioy duals. After all the work that I have put into it I won't be able to put a CAM in it and once that I get this bad boy back together i don't think that i want to rip it apart again for a while. If i didn't have a bad back it wouldn't be so bad be those cards will never get delt again. I's not too bad though I can get to 400RWHP with bolt ons and a good P&P on the heads anyhow...just wanted to have a good cam in thier.. I guess for pride reasons... Well I'll keep you all(who ever is subscibed) informed to the progress.

:
    :

And I am sure I will have more questions :P

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Hrmm as a after thought. I am wondering wether or not I have skipped a tooth on the cam. I thnk I am at least going to check out the CAM timing. Have to figure out how I am going todo that while the engine is in the car. Do i have to get a CAM wheel thing? or is there a simple way todo it. To get to the cam I will have to pull the water pump and oil pump won't I?

And pull the crank pully too?

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    no, there is nothing else holding the dipstick tube. just gotta pull hard.
    That thing was in there REALLY good. I had to yank with all my might about 15 times to get it...but it did come out and let me get the exhaust amnifold out of the way. With out getting that out i wouldn't have been able to get the loser head bolts out.... Stupid A/C is in the way but i worked around out. I was really considering removing the A/C parts but I was worried abuot contamination of the A/C system and then i would have to have it evacuated and recharged. Not sure if i could do the recharge myself(can anyone buy the 134A?)
    Last edited by Phlash_riot; 11-06-2006 at 08:23 AM.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Well I am going to replace my lifters while I have the heads off. Might as well right...
    Well I was told to look into the LS7 lifters. I found a deal on some...made by ACDelco.... Anyone think I should go for it?

Thread Information