Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Head R&R

This is a discussion on Head R&R within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Phlash_riot Hrmm as a after thought. I am wondering wether or not I have skipped a tooth ...

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Phlash_riot View Post
    Hrmm as a after thought. I am wondering wether or not I have skipped a tooth on the cam. I thnk I am at least going to check out the CAM timing. Have to figure out how I am going todo that while the engine is in the car. Do i have to get a CAM wheel thing? or is there a simple way todo it. To get to the cam I will have to pull the water pump and oil pump won't I?

And pull the crank pully too?
    if you are going to degree the cam, then a degree wheel is needed. if you are just checking to see if you got the dots lined up, then the cam gear dot is at 6 o'clock and the crank dot is at 12 o'clock like in this pic

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Thanks

That's easy enough i guess. Looks like I have to pull the crank pully to get to it but a new bolt and a pully puller should be all that i have to get to check it out.

Got myself a set of 241 heads. going to get them cleaned up and all checked out. Also got the LS7 lifters so i can replace those while I am at it.

No i have to figure out if i can use the MLS head gasket off the 2002 on my hybrid 1999 LS1. And where can I get one at a decent price.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

If I have a 99 T/A with the 241 heads can I use a MLS head gasket that is specified with the 2002 engine?or do i still have to use a graphite composite. I would rather use the MLS since it will be easier to clean-up if i remove the heads again other than that I cannot see any real big reason to go that route on a stock N/A engine

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

you can use the MLS.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Well I got all the pieces here or on order that i need, except one. I need to get my hands on a drivers side STOCK exhaust manifold. Mine's busted in that the all three collector studs broke off on that side when i removed it due to being rusted into one complete piece. So calling anyone in the San Diego area!!!! Anyone got one sitting in their garage that they don't want anymore and could maybe toss my way I would greatly appreciate it. Funds are limited here and I was barley able to afford to get this sucker back together again. It really set back my car plans with this booboo.

Other than that the car

Thanks
    Steve

damn sorry 4 the bad news, ttt anyone ? I had a few times bent a valve against a piston on my old small block, never did get that valvetrain right. it happened alot but the pistons were fine. 380 ft/lb of torque outta that suker. good luck bro..

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

UPDATE:
    Well I managed to drill out the old studs on the stock exhaust manifold now i just have to get replacement. Probably going to get Stage 8 locking collector bolts or something like that u nless i can get away with using some grade 8 home depot bolts..?

Cleaned up the block today of the old gasket. That was a pain in the arse to say the least. Wouldn't have been so bad but it no the most comfortable place to be for a couple hours. And i still was unable to get it spotless... do i have to have it spotless or what. I have a gasket remover(razor on a long stick form Kragen Automotive) and some gasket remover spray and a greenie meenie scrubber. So i am hoping that it is clean enough. I am replacing the gasket with a composite and i "gather" that those are more forgiving than the MLS gaskets as far as cleanliness.

While I was cleaning the gasket off with the gasket remover allot of over spray went into the cylinders and when i cleaned it up off the piston...well what a difference.. wasn't able to get it all off but allot if it came off all the pistons. Almost all the pistons have a layer of carbon about 2-3 pages of paper(regular printer paper) thick on them. No big deal I'm sure but the gas additives don't seem to be able to keep it off at all. Not sure what the previous owner was running but Chevron is what i run. Well hopefully i will be able to keep it as clean as I got them. Not sure why it would build up so much though.

The down side to all this cleaning is that I got allot of gasket material all over the place. and since my lifters are out of the engine allot got where the CAM is at.. So Should i worry about this or just get a oil change soon after i get this back up and running.

I am going to bypass the cam inspection as far as the alignment goes.. I figure that if the cam slipped a tooth all of the pistons would have eyebrows in them instead of just 4.

I filed down one for the eyebrows and made it fairly smooth again so that I don't have a hot spot that causes pre ignition.

Well if anyone has any tips for me before i start putting her back together this week let me know soon.

EDIT: Ohh yea almost forgot. When you have the exhaust manifold between your legs to hold it and you pressing down with all your might to drill and the 1/4 bit snaps off while your drill therefore shoving the jagged piece of rotating metal into your leg....ya it sucks and it kind hurts too.
    Last edited by Phlash_riot; 11-19-2006 at 06:27 PM.

What I have done to remove debris from engine holes and crevasses is to use a long Qtip dipped in clean motor oil. Use a shop vac to pull up as much as you can and then an oil soaked cloth or paper towel where your fingers can go. Even oil on a toothpick can get into tiny places and pick up dirt.

You should have stuffed your cylinders and passages with clean rags and pieces of paper and tape or even newspaper to keep the grit out but that's history now. You have a lot of patience for a miserable situation there; I feel for you man. Thanks for posting your progress. I hope to see some good news from you soon; please keep us updated.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

BUsted my finger today so it will be a bit before i get back to her

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

when you do get back to it, make sure you get all of the material out of the head bolt holes. they are dead head holes.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

yea i clenaed those holes out already folowing the directions from ls1howto.com

Also i didn't just hurt my finger like i thought..... it's broken.... stupid football

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information