Thread: head porting ?

black trans am

head porting ?

on im geting my parts to geather for my 4.8 head swap on to my 00 t/a, im starting with the heads i have the valves i want and now im to the porting.. how the hell do u mark off the intake side of the heads i know u can use the gasket's to mark them and port to size but with the o rings it makes it a little on the hard side
    Next, on the ex side the only gaskets i can get ahold of are the fel pro ls1 1.85" if i try to go all the way to 1.85 am i going to run in to a coolent passage? some one gotta know.... btw the 4.8 heads are the same other then the cc in the com chamber is smaller

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I assume you are talking about gasket matching? Get a scribe... a rod with a sharp point on it and scribe along the edge of gasket. With aluminum heads you have to be extremely careful when porting. You will take alot of material out quickly using wrong material's etc.

Also keep in mind, you can make your heads flow worse with a piss poor port job.

When you get better try a tear drop around the valve and some pocket porting. That is when you start seeing 's in CFM's.

You need a flow bench and lots of experience to accurate port a head really. Why do you think people pay good money for others to port?

Good luck.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I will check to see if I have a spare intake gasket for my aluminum intake. If I do, I will bring it to the track ! If not, summit racing...

White
    1998 Trans Am

Found a Gasket !!! It's in my trailer. I will be at the track tomorrow. PM sent...

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Found a Gasket !!! It's in my trailer. I will be at the track tomorrow. PM sent...
    i still have a new set of paper header gaskets if you want them too

black trans am

i have the header gaskets but there 1 7/8 and i dont think im going with headers that big and hipo i know how to port and polish i know quite a few eng builders and did 3 sets of head when i was in school i even cc the heads when i was in school. i plan on cc the heads b4 i start the polishing cc is not a good as a flow bench but im not building a all out drag car im just trying to get low 12 high 11's

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    i have the header gaskets but there 1 7/8 and i dont think im going with headers that big and hipo i know how to port and polish i know quite a few eng builders and did 3 sets of head when i was in school i even cc the heads when i was in school. i plan on cc the heads b4 i start the polishing cc is not a good as a flow bench but im not building a all out drag car im just trying to get low 12 high 11's
    the gaskets I have are for a set of pacesetters so they are alittle smaller than the ones you have if you want them i could even drop them off.
    i run through Greencastle to Williamsport every day to get to work so anywhere in Hagerstown is close for me

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    Sounds like we went to the same schooling!

black trans am

i went to a tech high and was always helping my teacher out building his little old 5.0 mustang at the same time i was learing about the ls1, i was trying to make my v6 fire bird fast but soon gave up. and started saving up for my car now.. now i have some thing worth making fast

Thread Information