Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Head/cam package from Texas Speed

This is a discussion on Head/cam package from Texas Speed within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Or the one I was originally getting.. Texas Speed 228R Camshaft The Texas Speed 228/228 .588/.588 Camshaft With Your Choice ...

blue
    97 LT1 trans am

Or the one I was originally getting.. Texas Speed 228R Camshaft The Texas Speed 228/228 .588/.588 Camshaft With Your Choice of Lobe Seperation.

This camshaft features Comp Cams XER lobes! The XER lobes have been proven to make big horsepower & torque thanks to their aggressive ramp rates & healthy lift.

1600-6300 RPM Power Band

But now If I get a stall converter would it be better to have one in the higher rpm range or just get this one? I'll definatly go with the 114, but about what is the HP difference from a 114 and a 112?

blue
    97 LT1 trans am

What stall should I get and where from, I've talked to support at fuddle racing and if I was to get the HP street converter that's over 500 Isn't there a better stall out there.. The stall should be around 3000 and 3500 Right?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I would say a 3400 stall for that cam.

The bigger the cam, the bigger the stall required. Now...this is just a 'normal' rule of thumb. There are other things that play into choosing your stall.
    Call TSP and talk to someone. I dealt with Jason when I ordered my shortblock and cam. Great help. Ask him, he will get you set up right.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Agree with everything that Mr. Luos said. I wouldn't go any bigger than a 3500 convertor, but TSP can pair it all up for you real nice. The 228R on a 114 should be a great cam for what you are wanting

blue
    97 LT1 trans am

Change in plan.. Getting a new better built 4l60e Transmission with a shift kit. Any suggestion on the best kit? Going with around a 3600 2.2str fuddle racing Stall, What do you think? And I'm probably just going to do the TSP Camshaft 228R, PRC Spring Kit & Pushrod Package Dual springs. What more will I need after I get the gasket kit? Will it be almost like the head/cam install on the ls1howto just minus the head install? Still thinking about the oil pump and timing chain.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I would recommend doing the oil pump and timing chain as insurance, and might as well do both while you are in there doing the cam anyways. And yes, its just like the howto.com minus the head stuff

Where at in OK are you?

blue
    97 LT1 trans am

Way out in watonga, This will be my first time ever doing this kind of work on the motor, considering it's inside. I've installed my headers on my own.. and Made my custom exhaust, flowmaster super 40.. There's a guy in kingfisher(30 mins from watonga) by the name of perry that has a 11second trans am.. He's good at building up a motor.

blue
    97 LT1 trans am

TSP Camshaft, 918 Springs & Pushrod Package Or

TSP Camshaft, PRC Spring Kit & Pushrod Package

Goingwith the TSP 228R camshaft with a 112LSA Should I just get the 918 springs or spend the extra $100 on the prc springs? Only difference I see is the PRC lift .660 and the 918 springs lift .600.. and with the 228R camshaft it lifts .588

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS1 Trans am View Post
    TSP Camshaft, 918 Springs & Pushrod Package Or

TSP Camshaft, PRC Spring Kit & Pushrod Package

Goingwith the TSP 228R camshaft with a 112LSA Should I just get the 918 springs or spend the extra $100 on the prc springs? Only difference I see is the PRC lift .660 and the 918 springs lift .600.. and with the 228R camshaft it lifts .588

918s are plenty spring for you, you are throwing away that extra $100 if you get the PRCs. The PRCs are good quality, not knocking that, they are rated for a .660 lift. The 918s are supposed to be good for a .625 lift even though advertised for a .600 lift. You have nothing to gain by spending the extra $100.

blue
    97 LT1 trans am

Alright, Got my Transmission Being Built with loads of high performance parts, Will have Monday, Then I got a 3400 Stall from Fuddle, Talked to john and he has me hooked up, Having my pcm set-up for a shift point of 6600RPM, I was told by him that it would hold up fine with the 228R cam I'm getting. Once I get that stuff installed I'll let you know how it runs. Since I'll be going over 6500RPM should I get the PRC springs or just go with the 918s? Also I was reading that if I get a double roller chain I would have to shim some stuff or something and maybe I would just be better off spending less and getting the ls2 timing chain? If I knew how to shim it or whatever I'll go with the double roller.. Help on that, And I'm definatly going with a ported ls6 oil pump also. Anyone know how to make a double roller timing chain fit?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

i have the prc duals and tell people to get the same.
    get the ls2 chain, everybody else gets them and they are fine for youre set up.
    also there only about 40 bucks.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

blue
    97 LT1 trans am

Got everything including LS6 ported oil pump and LS2 timing chain, was wondering if I could get away with using my current cam gaskets I have.. There all in good looking shape and I know since there o-ring type I heard you can use them as long as they look good.. See the problem is texas-speed has the cam install kit on backorder, but I have the cam already in and am wanting to get it all back together.. Thanks

blue
    97 LT1 trans am

Anyone?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I would use a new timing cover gasket and new front seal. Used valve cover gaskets are fine. You can get new gaskets at the dealer.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Cam gasket??

I need more info.

blue
    97 LT1 trans am

Had ordered the cam install kit, all those gaskets and the bolt for hermonic balancer. But they had it on backorder and I already got my cam installed.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I have replaced 3 of those. They get brittle.
    If I take the chain cover off, I replace that gasket. They aren't that expensive at the dealer.

But if the swap is already done and you aren't leaking...

blue
    97 LT1 trans am

Cam, Tranny, & Stall ALL Done Installing!!

I know on ls1howto it was wrote-up saying that the springs were the 2nd hardest part of the install.. But in my opinion the cam was a breeze, Now the springs were another story... The 2 on the back of the passenger side were a BIA%^*$ But I did get it done, just took the two hoses off the heater core.. Overall I say that the cam install was a breeze, but springs were a trick.. Now at the same time I did the cam swap I also had the tranny built up with racing parts and a stall installed. Did all this over the weekend and it's a mean bastard. Wonder if i'll make it in the 11's?
    Last edited by LS1 Trans am; 01-15-2007 at 08:10 PM.

blue
    97 LT1 trans am

Anyone that has a cam know if your lights and voltage meter pulse back and forth? Like between 1/2 and 3/4 the way? Is it maybe because of my cam being a 112LSA? I know the computer was tuned for this cam and it runs good but you can tell there is a cam..

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Idle might need bumped up a little.
    Also, check the belt tension.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information