Black
    2002 Z28

Head and cam package reliability?

If the install is done correctly and I don’t go to big on the cam, etc can a 430RWHP head and cam car be reliable enough to drive every day? Would I be looking at more maintenance in the valve train area?? Or would a mild blower be a better choice for power and reliability? The car is not my daly driver but if i decide that i want to drive it on a 1000mile road trip i just dont want to worry with it.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

there are many cars with over that much power that are daily drivers and have been. It all depends on what your willing to deal with. With power comes a lot of sacrifice

Electron Blue
    2003 Z06

Heads and cam are very extremely reliable. Last summer I used to drive my H/C Z06 to the beach at 6 am, sit in traffic for 3-4 hours, then another 1-2 hours to the Corvette Challenge in the afternoon, make 8-12 low 11 second passes and then home 2 more hours that night.

That was with AFR 205's and a 228 232 cam.

Black
    2002 Z28

re

Really that is awesome, I have to admit I love the sound of a cam at idle VS a blower wine. Did you perform the install your self or did you have a speed shop do it?

Electron Blue
    2003 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by brantsz View Post
    Really that is awesome, I have to admit I love the sound of a cam at idle VS a blower wine. Did you perform the install your self or did you have a speed shop do it?
    Me too, plus blowers shred belts and detonate with catastrophic consequences.
    I installed heads and 4 different cams in my Z, and a few H/C combos and clutches in my friends Vette's/Camaro's/GTO's, plus so far 1 cam on my C6. I don't trust shops, I'm a Corvette owner who wants everyone to treat my car like I do...and they don't. I plan on opening a shop within a year or two. Not the kind of shop that takes on all comers, but a shop that will stay within it's limits and also treat the cars with the same care we treat them with. I simply do not need to experiment on other peoples cars. We will only go with proven reliable power adders. We will be after repeat customers, and not just focusing on new ones by inflating dyno numbers.

Dave

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

i would go the blower route if i was to do everything again. it drives normal till you get on it.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    2002 Z28

Dave I agree. I have just recently finished my personal shop and I am in the process of looking for a lift. I feel the same way about letting a shop do the work to any of my cars for that matter. I am way to anal and to picky. Did you by a H/C package from a speed shop or did you order you components separately? I have always though that it can get tough to match a cam with a set of heads for optimal gains. But I have used comp Cams sales support in the past with good results on carb motors.
    Last edited by brantsz; 06-23-2006 at 04:46 PM.

Ws6ramair
    I totally share your sentiments. I don't even trust a detail shop to wash my car. If you open a shop remember my email address. I have a 99 WS6 TA, and would kill to have someone trustworthy install H/C package on it. (Low 11's sounds quite nice) tagrahamta@comcast.com I'll be your first customer.

Thread Information